Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-25-03, 02:33 PM  
maigosia

Wow! I've just invented travel kit! not OT

I'm not sure if you know what I mean.. but I thought that maybe someone could use this idea. I've converted my workouts on DVD into mp3 files , and that'll allow me to workout everytime everywhere!
Last week I was in NYC and I was very unhappy without my videos (and I even haven't found "body in Motion" by A.Ungaro :/

Maigosia
maigosia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-03, 03:59 PM  
Sam
VF Supporter

Excellent Idea

Before I converted my collection to DVD I converted just the audio of two of my favorite VHS tapes to CD. That way I could play them on the road and do the workout just about anywhere. I remember doing my Kathy Smith Kickboxing workout in a hotel room in Frankfurt, Germany and thinking that I was a vidiot for sure.

I really like your MP3 idea!
Old 06-25-03, 04:02 PM  
CJ 5

I actually do several of the cathes at the gym using the audion portion.. I do slow and heavy and her other weight workouts..

I also do spinervals at the gym on audio
CJ 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-03, 04:16 PM  
Sam
VF Supporter

CJ,

Do you use the DVD and just play the audio or have you converted to MP3 or some other format fit for travel?
Old 06-25-03, 04:20 PM  
CJ 5

I just play my dvd on the computer and use totalrecorder to convert it to wave format or to mp3 then use my headphones at the gym.

I have no idea how you convert a VHS tape to an audio CD though.. There are a few I would like to do for that as well. I could tape them in my stereo but that wouldn't really be all that useful for me.

I have backed up all my ab dvds onto an audio cd and was doing a different set everyday at the gym until I pushed to hard but it worked well to do it there.

Also I do almost all my upper body work ( cathe again) at the gym and my spinervals as I said.. I have thought about doing a yoga or stretching cd like that as everyone always needs a good stretch but I have yet to find a good quality stretch tape for athletic people that holds the stretch for 30 seconds.
Old 06-25-03, 05:12 PM  
Sam
VF Supporter

Computer Geek Here

Very interesting, CJ.

I have several video and audio authoring apps on my home PC to create edited finished videos and compose or transpose music. Could have pulled the audio off a VHS tape multiple ways, but I just plugged my VCR into my capture board (it does both video and audio), played the VHS, and saved the audio as an .avi file. Burned that onto a CD. Could have created my own video file and burned it to a DVD, but that wasn't the goal. It was quick and dirty and cost me all of 25 cents for the blank CD.

Now when I travel I can just take my DVDs and play them in my laptop. I thought I was so cool three years ago doing my "video" from a CD.

I wonder if anyone knows you're actually doing a workout video while you're in the gym with your headphones.
Old 06-26-03, 07:47 AM  
CJ 5

Quote:
I wonder if anyone knows you're actually doing a workout video while you're in the gym with your headphones.
I look so incredibly organised that usuually someone will comment something.. I don't really expalin what I am doing as it wouldn't make a lot of sence to people who don't appreciate videos and frankly I don't have time cause that cathe .. well she doesn't let you really have a lot of breaks.. It has been a godsend to me to do it this way as I am such a baby when it comes to counting sets and taking appropriate rests ( 60 seconds) and I don't whimp out half way to .Usually I am laughing my head off to what troy says on the spinervals as he is a tyrant so everyone is probably avoiding me cause they think I am crazy or something...lol

Well I am a computer techy with a fairly new computer but not a lot of time to "figure stuff out" as that stuff takes a while to master.. I would probably need a board of some kind as you say and also maybe a new video card but my computer is fast.. I will see if there is a on old thread to read about it.. Also I don't have a DVD burner but I have thought it would be useful to back up my VHS tapes to DVD and chapter them.
Old 06-26-03, 09:58 AM  
Joanna
VF Supporter

I have several tapes I have dubbed on to audio. but now that I think of it, I do have a mic slot on my pc so I suppose I could plug the tape in and make an MP3 out of it if I wanted to. I don;t have an MP3 player, but one of these days...

Joanna
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-03, 10:46 AM  
Ctfitnut
VF Supporter

Travel Kit

Hey everybody, Thanks for all of the great ideas. I have been thinking about what to do with my vhs now that I use DVDs and a couple of these ideas are really good. I cannot wait to play.
Sheila
Ctfitnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-03, 02:31 PM  
gelfling
VF Supporter

Maigosia, that's a fantastic idea!
When I bought my iPod last year, one of the things I liked about it was that it doesn't skip when you run. I listen to a lot of audio books and it occurred to me that I could listen to a book while I exercised but it never occurred to me to to record the soundtrack of one of my workouts. Usually when I go away, I just take a book with me but recently I started have copying down the exercises for some of my favourite workouts and turning them into a Powerpoint Slideshow. I just love your soundtrack idea
ATB,
- Lisa
Edited to add: Oooh! Just imagine Candlelight Yoga with no TV/video/DVD off, the lights off and the candles lit...