Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-09-16, 11:54 AM  
kalliope999

I'll put in yet another vote for Lauren Brooks' Shut Up and Train. Very short workouts, slower pace, and it's totally customizable for your level depending on the weight KB you use, and on how quickly you do the reps. Plus, it's resistance training and cardio in one.

When I was coming back from few months off of exercise, I did her "SUAT Longer" rotation for four weeks in January-Feb. It's every other day (so only 3-4 days per week), and two workouts each day (which was 28-33 minutes TOTAL). I did nothing else except for a little walking to the grocery store, etc. I lost a few pounds and definitely looked leaner, and I could see my fitness progressing with the weight I could use and how I felt after rounds of swings or squats.

It was easy to stick to because it was only half an hour every other day, and was the perfect way for me to get back to regular exercise! I wasn't tempted to skip because I knew the next day was a "free day".

Also, for what's it's worth, when I was first starting out with exercise several years ago after a few years off, I tried Slim in 6 and found it hard! The lunges were very hard on my unfit knees. That, plus the length of the workouts and the 5-6 days per week schedule just discouraged me and I quit.

ETA: I also second the vote for the original Power 90. That was my husband's entry into fitness videos several years ago, and it gave him a very solid base of fitness. He said it was doable and easy to follow, as Betsy said.

Last edited by kalliope999; 04-09-16 at 11:59 AM. Reason: to add comment
kalliope999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-16, 12:15 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

My favorites, most are easy to modify up or down:
PowerFit
PowerFit Harmony
Slim in 6
Slim Series
Barre3
Yoga Booty Ballet
Ellen Barrett
Jessica Smith - she has a huge variety on YouTube

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-16, 12:28 PM  
kalliope999

Ooh, I thought of another one, and it's cheap! Josh Hillis's 21 Day Kettlebell Swing Challenge. I bought it back in 2011 when it was a PDF and more expensive, but now it's available for Kindle (which you can also read on your computer or in a browser) for only $2.99. If you already have kettlebells, it's a great option! You can get a free interval timer app online.

http://www.amazon.com/21-Day-Kettleb.../dp/B00GE6JJK6

I've done this SO many times. As you may have gathered from my other comments, I'm kind of lazy and like short workouts best! I also love kettlebells.

--The workouts are either 5, 10, 15, or 20 minutes each day. Yay!
--ETA: I think the warm-ups are an additional 2-3 minutes or so, just fyi. I just walk around for a few minutes for cool down, just until my heart rate comes down.
--There are three different levels available for each day (beginner, intermediate, and advanced). They differ mostly in intervals (beginners have longer rest periods and shorter work sessions) and also with variations of warm-up moves.
--The warm-ups and some of the workouts include some push-ups or knee push-ups, planks or knee planks, and lunges, but not so many that you dread it. So you get closer to a full body workout, not just swings.

I've occasionally done this challenge a few times in a row, as my only workouts, and I've definitely trimmed up and lost fat. Importantly, when I do this, I take rest days as needed and don't use it as a "challenge", so I don't stress out about that part of it. If I was especially tired, or didn't sleep well, or was overly sore, I'd take a rest day, and then just continue on with the schedule. But otherwise, I'd just go with it, because some days were only 5 minutes long!!

The only time in my life I've been able to do full push-ups was when I was doing this rotation. I felt awesome! Because of the use I've gotten out of it, the price, and the results I've gotten (leaning out, feeling energetic, feeling strong), I'd say it was one of my best fitness purchases EVER. I don't know why I don't recommend it more often. (If you can find a way to purchase the PDF, get that, because the format is nice.)
Old 04-09-16, 01:13 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalliope999 View Post
I'll put in yet another vote for Lauren Brooks' Shut Up and Train. Very short workouts, slower pace, and it's totally customizable for your level depending on the weight KB you use, and on how quickly you do the reps. Plus, it's resistance training and cardio in one.
Nicole, where do you find Lauren Brooks' rotations?

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-16, 01:46 PM  
kalliope999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Nicole, where do you find Lauren Brooks' rotations?
You can download all of her various rotations plans from the site she uses for her streaming/digital products: http://video.ontheedgefitness.com/rotation-plans

I think I remember having to "register" for the content, and then I could download the PDFs. Not sure if you have to wait for an email first or not; it's been a while.

ETA: for anyone considering her DVDs or digital videos (which you can either stream or download), know that she regularly does excellent discount coupon codes, often for 40% off.
Old 04-09-16, 02:40 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalliope999 View Post
You can download all of her various rotations plans from the site she uses for her streaming/digital products: http://video.ontheedgefitness.com/rotation-plans
I think I remember having to "register" for the content, and then I could download the PDFs. Not sure if you have to wait for an email first or not; it's been a while.
ETA: for anyone considering her DVDs or digital videos (which you can either stream or download), know that she regularly does excellent discount coupon codes, often for 40% off.
Thanks! I registered and was able to download the rotations. (I hate having to register for stuff that should just be available on a site. I did buy the workouts, after all!)

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-16, 02:54 PM  
Chomper

I did really well with Margaret Richard for strength when I was starting out. then alternate with whatever cardio you like and fits your level. Walking is awesome. A lot of Latin dance workouts are fun and not too high impact. Get some stretching in a couple times a week. It's really that simple.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-16, 05:10 PM  
lorajc

Thanks so far for all of the answers. I have Shut Up an Train...but haven't tried it yet. I'll ck that out...also forgot about Ellen Barret...those will be good for me right now.....the weather here keeps getting real cold after a couple slightly warmer days and it really messes with my pain levels from. My injuries ....my back is like cement right now....I live in NE OH it's going down to 15 tonite....ridiculous!!! I love to lift weight but with all of these spasms setting in...I've been mostly doing Kundalini Yoga trying to get them to subside with some walking DVDs. So sick of this cold weather.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-16, 05:48 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

I think keeping it simple is good. I think I recall that you can't stream well, but if I'm remembering wrong, check out this free (or maybe donation) on line program:

http://www.livefitrevolution.org
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-16, 07:03 PM  
s2546

Thank you Nicole for all of your suggestions!! On my way to download the app...

sue
s2546 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginner rotations, beginner workouts, met-rx, met-rx 180