Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-12-20, 08:15 AM  
Jennifer P.
VF Supporter

OT: Do I want a free roku from Target?

I have a Hulu subscription. I also have a really old roku. I read recently that Hulu is ending support for older rokus, & my roku is one of those affected. So, I did a search on Target.com & found the roku express on sale for $24.99. So, I placed my order to pick up in store, because the delivery people don't use plastic bags for my orders, & I am tired of wet packages.

Well, I went & picked my roku up, but I continued to get emails that said I hadn't picked my order up. I thought it was just a glitch, but I received a refund for my order. I called the Target.com customer service before the refund actually went through, & she said I needed to wait & call back after the refund went through.

Okay, so now the roku is not on sale. I mention that because that is my main reason for contemplating calling back. What if they screw up & charge me the full $29.99 & not $24.99?

There is a common sense reason to call back: I don't want to be branded for not picking up orders & perhaps lose that option.

So, what do you think?

Let's keep this beautiful planet & all its wonderful creatures alive!
Jennifer P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-20, 08:22 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Enjoy your ROKU. You tried, and have spent enough time and energy trying to correct an error that wasn't yours.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-20, 11:54 AM  
kimf
VF Supporter

I had something similar, Amazon gave me two credits for one returned item. So I got $80 total refunded for my $40 purchase. I spent A LOT of time going back and forth with them, trying to explain what happened, it became a total pain. After a while, I regretted "doing the right thing".

I agree with Joni - you tried to let them know, the ball is in their court now to fix it.
kimf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-20, 01:13 PM  
Terry

You tried. The woman should have taken your information to do whatever needed to be done whenever it could be done instead of asking you to spend your time once again to fix their error.

You can go either way but don't need to feel guilty if you let it go at this point.

I myself wouldn't worry about getting charged the higher cost, but I absolutely despise trying to fix such screw-ups. I wouldn't bother to call the second time due to the stress, and I wouldn't feel guilty about it.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-20, 03:55 PM  
CharM

If you really feel guilty, try a live chat and let them know what happened. I find it easier to go through the chat than calling for some reason. That said, I've tried to make things right with both Amazon and Target, and they ended up just giving me the items or a huge store credit (Amazon) for my troubles. lol
CharM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-20, 06:37 PM  
Jennifer P.
VF Supporter

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I think I am just going to let this be my one freebie. When I spoke with the rep, she mentioned doing something like placing another order, which just seems to me to be opening another can of worms. I might feel differently in a few days, but that's how I'm feeling now. It seems like these days it's harder to get issues fixed than it was years ago. I think companies aren't allowing for issues when setting up their systems or something or they're scared of giving employees access to override the systems.

Old 06-13-20, 06:03 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Save all your correspondence with them in case they discover the mistake later and get back to you. That way you can show that you tried to do the right thing.
Old 06-13-20, 12:49 PM  
DawnP
VF Supporter

You tried, enjoy your Roku. Similar adventure with Best Buy...

Jennifer,
You really did all the right things to get this corrected, I agree that you donated all the time required to "earn" the Roku at this point.

I had a similar experience with a $450 laptop from Best Buy. I ordered the laptop online from BestBuy.com for DH for Christmas. Best Buy kept saying that the package was "on it's way", the online tracker never updated and the laptop didn't arrive.

I called and cancelled the online order and they credited me the $450. Because it was such a good price on a Windows machine DH & I drove 20 miles to the nearest Best Buy store and ended up purchasing the exact same machine in the store. The gal ringing it up told us "yes, we get a lot of complaints - it's because laptops *can't* be shipped because they contain big batteries that are considered hazardous materials".

Head home, set up the laptop, enjoy the holiday.

Then the second machine arrives. We were surprised. It was double-packed inside two cushioned boxes and had a FedEx label that said they had inspected the package and re-secured it because of the battery.

Hmmmm....

So I'm on the phone with Best Buy and chatting with them, trying to return the extra laptop. I'm having no success.

They keep saying they have no record of them ever shipping it, the order was cancelled and refunded.

I take the darn duplicate laptop down to the Best Buy store (20 miles away) and the customer service clerk tells me the same thing.

I'm trying to decide what to do and I watch them handle a return and they *throw* the computer equipment into a large receiving bin. I watch several staffers going through the bin and it seems to me... if I just *leave* this laptop here, someone is going to misappropriate this completely untraceable laptop to themselves or a family member for Christmas.

So I leave with said laptop. Donate it to my SIL who is dead broke and whose Windows 95 desktop just died. Done.

I feel like I really tried to do the right thing. I probably spent 15 hours of my time and two out-of-city drives (80 miles) to get the issue corrected. If Best Buy could have given me a receipt showing I was returning a mis-issued computer I would have left it with them.

I waited on eggshells for multiple credit card cycles. Credit received, only one laptop charge appears, no additional charges.

15 hours of my time is worth $450, I figure. Best Buy should be auditing how much inventory loss they are experiencing due to shipment issues and such.

End of rant.

So really a $25 Roku is small potatoes in my eyes
Old 06-13-20, 01:37 PM  
Jennifer P.
VF Supporter

Wow, Dawn, that was good luck & good timing, too. I agree you went over & beyond to "do the right thing."

Old 06-13-20, 04:29 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Dawn, you reminded me of an experience I had with Kohls. I ordered hubby a pair of sneakers as a gift - two pair because I didn't know which he'd like. The tracking was insane. Between all the departure and arrival points over about 6 weeks, I had no idea where they were. I called, and Kohls gave me a full refund. The shipment showed up about a month later covered in shipping stickers.

I called Kohls, but they said they had no way to take them back because basically "the case has been closed.". (My words.). The guy told me to just keep them.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote