Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-22-20, 09:49 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Streaming versus DVDs

I saw this funny article in the NYTimes. While it isn't about fitness content I thought it summarizes the rent versus own calculations we make here:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/20/o...ign=pockethits
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-20, 10:44 PM  
Chris T.
VF Supporter

Great article! And so true. I remember reading an article in the EARLY 1990s that stated that companies were looking for ways to make consumers pay over and over for a product. In this article, they cited that companies were looking at ways to make everything in your life a subscription model. They used the word subscription. And in the early 1990s, nobody could envision Netflix or Hulu yet. But how prescient that article from 30 years ago turned out to be.
Chris T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-20, 11:19 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

It is an interesting article. Very funny, I can see how adding more and more can gradually catch up with you. I was glad to disconnect from cable tv, it was overpriced. Now we only have Amazon Prime, & Acorn and we can use them anywhere. I travel a lot and fitness streaming has been wonderful for the same reason.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-20, 11:57 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

I'm getting ready to move into a new apartment, and I just finished boxing up my tall bookshelf full of TV shows on DVD. I contemplated for about 2 seconds the amount of space I would save by just getting rid of them, but then I realized basically what that article was saying, and I'm glad I own my favorite shows on DVD! I pay for Netflix and Hulu to watch other shows, but at least I'm not beholden to them (or Amazon Prime) for The Office, Dexter, House, Person of Interest, Chuck, Nikita...etc.

Anybody reading the labels on my boxes would definitely consider me a media hoarder, but I don't care
Old 01-23-20, 11:11 AM  
alisoncooks

Oh man, this was great and so true:
Quote:
We cut off the head of cable and out sprung dozens of streaming heads.
I remember telling DH that we'd never pay for streaming. We now have Prime, Netflix, Hulu, and Disney+. It's insane.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-20, 11:17 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

One definitely can get carried away. We have two streaming subscriptions, having recently canceled Netflix, & together they cost less than half of what we paid for cable. And no commercials, I hate commercials, lol!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-20, 11:20 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T. View Post
Great article! And so true. I remember reading an article in the EARLY 1990s that stated that companies were looking for ways to make consumers pay over and over for a product. In this article, they cited that companies were looking at ways to make everything in your life a subscription model. They used the word subscription. And in the early 1990s, nobody could envision Netflix or Hulu yet. But how prescient that article from 30 years ago turned out to be.
I remember reading an article in the 1970s when HBO first came out, the author said once you start paying for one channel on tv, before you know it you'll have to pay for everything you watch on tv. That was so true! This was when cable first came out. Before that, tv was free. We all laughed and said no way, it's just one little channel.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-20, 11:35 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
I remember telling DH that we'd never pay for streaming. We now have Prime, Netflix, Hulu, and Disney+. It's insane.
What's really insane is paying $200+ a month for cable! We also have all those services, but after dumping cable, our monthly bill for internet plus streaming is over $50 less than if we had kept the triple-threat package. I also love how you can unsubscribe and resubscribe to streaming services without any penalties, and watch them on your phone or tablet any place there is internet.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-20, 11:41 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by zraipel View Post
I'm getting ready to move into a new apartment, and I just finished boxing up my tall bookshelf full of TV shows on DVD. I contemplated for about 2 seconds the amount of space I would save by just getting rid of them, but then I realized basically what that article was saying, and I'm glad I own my favorite shows on DVD! I pay for Netflix and Hulu to watch other shows, but at least I'm not beholden to them (or Amazon Prime) for The Office, Dexter, House, Person of Interest, Chuck, Nikita...etc.

Anybody reading the labels on my boxes would definitely consider me a media hoarder, but I don't care
We have a ridiculous amount of tv series box sets. We will never get rid of them. They do pull shows off of streaming when contracts run out, right. Some shows we love are not shown anywhere.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-20, 12:25 PM  
wendug

Oh my. This article is so true! We have lots of box sets of our favorite shows. And whenever I look at fitness DVD's I check out the box sets people have donated. There are lots of gems to be found for cheap! All the subscription services do add up!

On a side note, my hubby told me that StubHub has teamed up with a financial firm so people can finance concert tickets (at a reasonable 10-20% interest rate!) As if concerts weren't expensive enough, now you can pay finance charges on top of the ticket price and service fees!

Tags
cable, cord cutting, dvds versus streaming