Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-22-20, 10:36 AM  
YetAnotherDeb

Foundation Training with Dr. Eric Goodman

I tweaked my back at work a couple of days ago and then hurt it more when I bent down to put the dog on his tether. I did CS 1108 - Back Pain Relief - yesterday only to discover that "tucking my bum" is the worst pain. Nevertheless I gently followed Miranda and it felt slightly better.

I know I need to build up my back strength. I looked at some old threads and there are many positive references to Foundation Training. I'm thinking of ordering the book or a DVD. I can't stream although I looked at a couple of very short utube videos.

Anyone care to comment about their experience with Foundation Training?
_____
YADeb
YetAnotherDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-20, 12:11 PM  
lselbach
VF Supporter

I jumped on the Foundation Training bandwagon for a considerable length of time, and didn’t really get any relief from it. I think it boils down to what’s actually causing the pain.

After years of heavy weight training, I didn’t lack back strength. What I had (and still have) is a very compressed spine. I got more relief from one session of Classical Stretch than months of Foundation Training.

I think FT is a really sound program. It just didn’t address my particular issues
Old 01-22-20, 12:30 PM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lselbach View Post
I think it boils down to what’s actually causing the pain.
Eons ago after experiencing several episodes of slipped discs from gardening I bought Dr. Robin McKenzie's book "7 Steps to a Pain-Free Life", wherein he related how he, quite by accident, discovered that what had until then had been contraindicated for back patients, actually helped the majority of his patients. His discovery: back extension exercises helped, from exercises like the "Cobra" to the "Mayo Clinic exercise" which looks like what we would call "the Superman".

Foundation Training utilizes back extension exercises. They will help a great many but not everyone. Depends upon what your spine needs. A friend of mine finds relief with Miranda and butt-tucking C-shapes. I now do backbends after flexion exercises and make sure to include swan dives and single/double leg kicks with other Pilates Mat c-curve exercises.

Do what feels best for you or gives you relief and don't force anything.
Old 01-22-20, 03:38 PM  
KarenH

foundation training

I do both of them. For me CS is for flexibility but FT helps me with day to day living. There is no way I could bend forward and tuck pelvis like Miranda says to do when I need to pick something up. But doing the FT recommendation to pick something up and even how to stand while brushing my teeth made a world of difference to my backpain. So for me CS is used for flexibility but FT for daily living. There are a lot of you tube videos out there to try but he has surpassed his books already. The method is always evolving. He puts a lot of emphasis on using the glutes to bend forward ( straight back with bent knees and pulling back the hips while bending forward with a flat back). Much of the training is strengthening the backside and no forward flexion. My SIL is a fireman who continually was hurting his back picking up victims (rounding his back and hips tucked under) but after learning the FT techniques he has not suffered any back pain.
Old 01-22-20, 04:05 PM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

I do CS and have done FT but now focus on incorporating KB swings and deadlifts into my days for the good they do for my back and butt. Learning how to hinge and getting into and remaining in the habit is so important for back health.
Old 01-22-20, 09:56 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Funny you mentioned FT. Someone started a back pain thread a few weeks ago and someone posted about FT. I purchased the Kindle version of the book because the video was kind of expensive. The kindle version has a few videos embedded in it and I think it was only like $5.

I have a history of back injuries. I am out of acute pain but I need to be careful of certain moves-flexion in particular. Recently I have been having nagging back pain so finally read the book and I tried the exercises on Sunday. Almost instant relief. The prone back extension kind of bothered my back at first but when I was done with the whole routine, I felt much better. I did 3 rounds of it on Friday and one round on Sunday.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-20, 10:08 PM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
Recently I have been having nagging back pain so finally read the book and I tried the exercises on Sunday. Almost instant relief. The prone back extension kind of bothered my back at first but when I was done with the whole routine, I felt much better. I did 3 rounds of it on Friday and one round on Sunday.
Wonderful! Really great news!

BTW, which Kindle edition did you buy, "Foundation" or "True to Form" or something else? I see those two titles available on Kindle but at more than twice the price you mention. I bought "Foundation" about six years ago and wonder if there are new exercises.
Old 01-23-20, 06:41 PM  
YetAnotherDeb

Thank you for all the thoughtful replies. I recalled the recent thread and that's what I first searched for. The comments about FT caught my attention so I wanted to follow up.

ireidgreen, I would also like to know which DVD you got. I'm having trouble deciding.

For what it's worth, I did Jane Adams Gentle Yoga "Core Strength and Flexibility" practice yesterday and today and I'm feeling a lot better. I still have twinges and I can't do all of the moves in the practice but at least I can get out of the recliner without rolling onto my belly first!
_____
YADeb
YetAnotherDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-20, 07:35 PM  
Eibhinn

I've used Foundation Training and it's helped both me and my husband with back pain. The problem is I find it boring and am bad at doing it consistently. I do also think it boils down to your anatomy and the source of your back problems - while lots of people here love Classical Stretch, it totally tweaks my back and makes my knees hurt. For that reason, I would suggest that if streaming is an option for you, before you buy anything, I'd do a month of the Foundation Training streaming service - all of their DVD programs are available on there (in addition to online only training programs) so you can try them out first. I recall them being pretty expensive, so probably worth the $15 for a month to see if it works for you.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-20, 07:58 PM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

Foundation Training on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/DoAFounder

Tags
back pain, classical stretch, dr eric goodman, foundation training