Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-20, 10:02 AM  
sciencelady

Crone Cronies - Strive for progress NOT perfection. Week of 1/5

The Cronies is a place for women who are mature in age or attitude. The group is highly diverse in that we have ages ranging from 30s to 60s, some are moms, some are single, some are teachers/professors, and some have jobs and work outside the home and some don’t. We do our own thing and are happy when life doesn’t get in the way too often. Some are training for a marathon, some don’t even do vids, you get the picture.

Life and exercise are what we report. A thread is started every Sunday. Some report every day, others whenever they can.

Bottom line: we are a diverse group and very supportive of each other’s goals. Oh, and we’re funny as heck. If you’d like to join us, just come on down.
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-20, 10:14 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

I figured since some may be working on New Year's resolutions, this quote might be good. I tried some of Laura's from last week, but they ended up too long . Myself, I'm not working on resolutions, but it seems that way on the decluttering end - I went through my kitchen and tossed out all expired ingredients and meds and am dealing with the poster debate in my head.

Laura, I'm glad your DH got the care he needed for his left side chest pains - I tend to just sit at home when bad things happen to me. It's one reason I want to move to a group setting for seniors in the future. The print-your-poster service sounds cool - do you have a name or link for the business? I don't think my iPod camera takes a detailed enough picture to blow it up to a 24" x 36" size - you'd see pixels - works great for FB photos though .

Paula, I might do the Classical Stretch series to help get back some motion in my joints - I've got a feet and ankles episode recorded that I might do today. My right ankle just has about a ten degree movement straight up and down and very little rotation capabilities without pain. Needs work. And frankly, a doctor to take a look at it! You've been good doing your PTs recommendations and continuing with those exercises.

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 01-05-20, 02:22 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I could not go to sleep last night and finally fell asleep around 2:00. So, I slept until 10:00. It has been a weird day. I may try to get out and run a couple of errands today. It's sunny and I feel like although I'm not well that I turned a small corner. I'm feeling less bad and the infection seems to be easing. And I just want to get out of the house.

Paula - Have they given you any idea how long the process will take before you can start yoga? Hang in there as things improve. I'm sure Adrienne won't mind when you start. It's just frustrating to wait!

Anita - Yeah, I've never done it myself, so I don't have any personal experience to relate on poster printing. However, I did a little research and processed in my personal preferences and this is what I would recommend:

1. Personally, I prefer to deal with people in person and with something like this would this would be afraid of getting something I didn't want by doing it online. So, I would go to a physical store. To me, the top three places would be Staples, Walmart and maybe Walgreens. All three have been rated by Consumer Reports as excellent with their photo prints. Walmart and Walgreens would produce traditional posters. Staples produces "engineering prints", thinner paper with a different look. You might want to look into it to see if it's something you're interested in. You also would want to look at all of their standard sizes to see if they are what you want.

2. If you want really nice and good quality pictures, you might want to browse unsplash.com. All their pictures are free for you to use with no fees and I've been happy with them.

Does that help?

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-20, 09:51 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Only "workout" I did today was my PT routine and a walk around the lake with DH. Other than that I did house cleaning and took down some of the Christmas decorations.

Anita, thanks for getting us started. I like the theme. I always reflect at the new year. I've heard a lot about Classical Stretch but I don't actually know what it is. Any gentle stretching should be helpful - just don't over stretch, I should know that's why I'm in PT. If you are going to consider doing posters from a picture, like Laura says, I'd go with the brick and motar store. Near me there are two camera stores. They don't just sell photo equipment they process pictures and make posters. They also can do those print on canvas pictures that and look like a painting. Something to consider.

Laura, glad you are feeling some better. I hope you feel some better each day. I know Adriene doesn't care when I get back to yoga, I just miss it and her gentle personality. I don't understand people who don't comply with PT. I alway want to get better, to get my full range of motion back as quickly as possible and it PT will help I'm all in.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-20, 07:17 AM  
boakley
VF Supporter

Good morning! And Happy 2020! I'm back in the office for the first time since Dec 19th. I did work on the 20th and then the 2nd and 3rd, but from home, so this morning was earlier and a tad more difficult We had a nice holiday and it was good to have DS home - he went back Saturday night to get ahead of a minor snowstorm yesterday. We are expecting a bigger one Wednesday - welcome to January. I don't think I posted this here, so I will do a short brag: DS got straight A's first semester At least if we are paying all that $$, he is putting in the effort. He really is enjoying it

Exercise wise I've been doing well - pretty consistent with walk/jogging, Leslie workouts, weights for upper body on my own, Jessica Smith stuff, lower body and core strength on my own, but mostly I've been working on what I guess is termed mobility stuff - foam rolling/self massage every day. All things that should get me back to running better and sooner. My hip/lowback flared up Saturday - I believe this is what causes my IT band tightness, etc. And actually I believe it's related to sitting too much thus tightening my TFL, hip flexors, piriformis. I've been dabbling with a site and app called The Run Experience, but haven't signed up for any of their paid programs so far. I'm also tossing around the idea of seeing an exercise therapist this winter - just need to find out if I'm covered. Other than that, I've been playing with my new guitar

I have to get to work - training people offsite in a bit. I will try to do shout outs later! Waves to all!

Beth

Tom Petty
boakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-20, 08:23 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on working at the WRC, giving Gus a walk, taking him to the vet for his annual checkup and vaccines, and going out to dinner with a friend. I did do the Classical Stretch routine recorded Friday for Feet and Ankles, but it was mainly whole body swinging around, abs and only about three minutes with the feet. Still it was good to move in directions not in my usual way. I might get these routines done regularly now as I need to limber up.

Laura, glad your day let you sleep in . Gus is good for sleeping with me - he'll cuddle at any time . Glad you're feeling better! Thanks for your poster printing info!

Paula, our PBS station shows Classical Stretch 3 times a week, so I always record an episode. I complied well with my knee PT when I had it, but pretty much stopped doing it once I got released - the stiffness has come back a bit...

Beth, nice to see you! Glad DS is doing so well in college! Nice workouts structured to help you with your physical goals and nice learning guitar!

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 01-06-20, 11:41 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I did a workout! Woo hoo! I asked DH if it was too soon to go to the gym and he said yes it was too soon, that I would overdo it. That's why I asked, because I tend to start working out harder than I should on the early side and then I experience a setback. However, he cleared me for a short band workout at home, so that's what I did. It was short and I combined light weights with the band.

He still has a lot of pain and it's moving around, so he has an appointment this afternoon with his regular doctor's office that I'll take him to.

The best thing about today is that I feel like it's the first NORMAL day I've had in weeks. I did my quiet time, exercised, and will get in work on my website/YouTube channel. Maybe I can start a normal trend...

Anita - Awww. It's nice that Gus cuddles with you. Will he cuddle with you after the vet and shots? I did look up local photo shops in the Minneapolis area and there are some possibilities there if you wanted to follow up on Paula's suggestion. I was looking for cheap options.

Beth - I hope going into the office goes well. Hopefully, having such a long break from it will make seeing coworkers nice. That's great about DS' grades. It's great he's taking college seriously.

Paula - Yeah, I don't get people going ot medical professionals, PT or otherwise, and then ignoring them. It sounds like you had an active day. Those are good, too.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 01-06-20, 09:28 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was a Pahla B's Chair Cardio & Strength workout then the PT routine. Also did a walk around the lake with DH. Had PT this afternoon so I'm assuming I don't have to do it again this evening.

Beth, good to see you. Yay that DS is adjusting to attending University and doing well to boot. You too seem be doing well with plan and direction for pursuing exercise and ultimately running. I too have been having IT problems and am going to Physical Therapy for it. Hopefully we both have light at the end of tunnel.

Anita, is Gus a good guy at the vet's. One of my dogs hated the vet so much she'd pull to leave as soon as she realised we were at the vet's.

Laura, glad you felt well enough to exercise. What a sweet feeling to wake up to a normal day.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-20, 09:15 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on putzing around, giving Gus a nice walk, and working at the circus tonight - first night in about three weeks! I miss them! I did get a laugh this morning opening up my half and half container with a 1/9/19 expiration date on it - glad the pros get the wrong year in there also! (The creamer was just fine!)

Laura, Yay on getting a workout in! You must be feeling better! I hope DH gets some relief from his pain also .

Paula, Gus did well at the vets - he was in a good quiet mood and enjoys getting lots of treats while getting his shots. It's not a negative experience for him, but doubt that he would go in there on his own. He liked his attention from the vet staff. He wasn't sure what was coming for him so he had his cute yoda ears positioned - that's his curiosity expression.

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 01-07-20, 01:06 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I got some work done on my videos/website this morning. This afternoon, I'm going to get my front crown in finally. They sort of lost track of my crown and getting in during the holidays was hard, so it's happening today. I'm looking forward to getting the real, good-looking one.

This morning, I realized that my cough is still with me, I still have stuff in my lungs. It's not as bad. It doesn't seem to be getting well. I made an appointment with my doctor for Thursday. If I magically get well, I'll cancel. Otherwise, I'll go and see if they can give me an antibiotic that will actually work. I didn't want the antibiotic they gave me, but they insisted it was the best one. I'm frustrated beyond the normal because I was supposed to have my infusion on Thursday and I put it off until next Tuesday. Now, I don't know if I will actually be able to have it then either. The original appointment was December 31 and I can feel my body starting to stiffen up and pain is starting to increase.

Gotta go to the dentist. EVeryone have a good day.

Laura's Workout Mantras: