Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-19, 08:53 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Crone Cronies - I Had My Patience Tested. I’m Negative. November 17

The Cronies is a place for women who are mature in age or attitude. The group is highly diverse in that we have ages ranging from 30s to 60s, some are moms, some are single, some are teachers/professors, and some have jobs and work outside the home and some don’t. We do our own thing and are happy when life doesn’t get in the way too often. Some are training for a marathon, some don’t even do vids, you get the picture.

Life and exercise are what we report. A thread is started every Sunday. Some report every day, others whenever they can.

Bottom line: we are a diverse group and very supportive of each other’s goals. Oh, and we’re funny as heck. If you’d like to join us, just come on down.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-19, 09:05 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Thanks to Adawn for the theme. This was my favorite of her list.

Another gray day in Raleigh. I may actually get out of the house today. I hope everyone has a good day.

Paula - The last few years, there has been Christmas stuff out before Thanksgiving. This was the first year where it seems to have consumed all of November. Before long, it will take the entire fall.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 11-17-19, 09:34 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Thanks to Laura for starting us off and to Adawn for her theme !

I'm planning on stopping by Menards to pick up bird seed and some other supplies to fill my feeders, give Gus his walk after the rains stop, maybe take leaves to the compost site if the line isn't hugely long, and just putzing around. I do still need to rake the back yard when the rains die down (at least it's not snow!). I did do the house tour yesterday - apparently the old woman I knew was three owners back now, but the wall paintings downstairs still exist . The paintings were 50s style paintings of a woman in a swimsuit, sailboats, fisherman, lakeshore, etc. They've aged and degraded a lot, but still exist. I think the woman I knew and her husband, who I never met, painted those.

Laura, hope your DH is feeling better today and you get your energy back up. I haven't done anything with the Epley maneuver yet, but my vertigo seems to be dying down a bit.

Dede, I had a $700 bill for my 75k mile Subaru maintenance package this past week - it was about $570 for regular stuff then they recommended a new battery which brought it up to $700. Seems like all my maintenance on this car is $$$. I can't tell from my history which was my 30K service, but there were lots of charges near that... Our malls were very crowded also - traffic near there was . I like Duluth clothing - nice casual wear for doing stuff outside.

Paula, nice to get a good walk in with DH . I think the retailers are counting this year as a short period between Thanksgiving and Christmas as Thanksgiving is on the 28th, but they were setting up around Halloween! Frankly, I'm not planning on much for Christmas - already talked to my brother and we're not exchanging gifts and waiting to see each other till January. Gus doesn't mind not getting lots of presents and isn't interested in indoor toys. If I have something with others, it'll likely be a platter of treats to share. I'm perfectly fine with a Christmas celebrating the birth of a baby, not filling Santa's sack.

Waves to all!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-19, 09:07 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. No workout today other than a long walk with DH. Cute theme - thanks Adawn.

WIth our usual run of good luck, our refridgerator appears to be dying. On the coldest setting it's keeping things cool. It's also periodically making loud clunking noises. So I need to get a repairman in to determine whether it can be saved or has to be replaced. It's only nine years old - shouldn't a refridgerator last longer than that?

Laura, thanks for getting us started. Hope you're feeling better and your cold hasn't gone full blown. Hope your DH is feeling better too. I don't like all the emphasis on Christmas so early as by the time Christmas actually arrives it's aniticlimatic. I'm sure kids can't keep up a high level of anticipation that long, or if they do Christmas is bound to be a dissappointment.

Anita, you're probably right that retailers started early this year because of the short period between Thanksgiving and Christmas. But they did start putting out the Christmas stuff when I was buying candy for Halloween. We don't do much for Christmas either. We have friends over for Thanksgiving. We usually make a reservation at a nice restaurant for Christmas and that's about it. We usually have a small tree, some years we exchange small gifts. Christmas is a bigger deal if you have children in your life, I think.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-19, 07:48 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

I'm planning on working at the WRC, giving Gus his walk and raking my back yard. Otherwise putzing around some more going through books for a sale or donation. I did get the feeders filled yesterday so it may be a good day out there for the birds and squirrels.

Paula, hopefully that fridge is recoverable - it would suck to have it replaced so soon. We both have pretty quiet Christmases .

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 11-18-19, 09:44 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Today is the day I start getting back to normal, hopefully. I hope to get to the gym this morning and figure out what I need to do this week on my website. It's supposed to rain today. They say the sun is supposed to come out later this week.

We'll be headed to Huntington and DH's family for Christmas, so there will be quite a bit of hoopla this year. Since we couldn't go last year due to his surgery, it's overdue and will be fun.

Paula - When something like that happens, DH and say that it was likely built on this midnight shift on the Friday after Thanksgiving (the shift we think people would be the least likely to be at work... ). I hope that it's something simple that can be repaired.

Anita - It's good your vertigo is improving. It would be interesting to see the changes in the house that still had those old paintings in it. You've been there quite a while.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 11-18-19, 09:21 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was the first 15 minutes of Get Firm Fast. Had to cut it short as we had to go pick up the boat at the shipyard.

Busy day with boat stuff. Also had to meet the refridgerator repairman at 4:00 pm. Luckily the fan had died and he was able to quickly install a new one and we now have a functioning refridgerator again. So glad we don't have to get a new fridge!

Anita, Hope you were able to get your yard work done. Not sure if you are interested but Adriene of Yoga with Adriene came out with a practice for Vertigo today. Yoga for Vertigo is 15 minutes and is on YouTube. If you are still feeling dizzy you may want to check it out.

Laura, hope you are able to get back to your normal routines today. The refridgerator repair was simple. Thanksgiving with family sounds like fun.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-19, 08:44 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on doing laundry, putzing around inside, giving Gus his walk in the rain, getting groceries, and working at the circus. I didn't do yard work yesterday, so the leaves are still out there. My vertigo is still kicking in, so I won't do acro tonight.

Laura, glad you'll be able to be with family for the holidays. Yeah, my neighbor's home has gone through changes - I can't believe three families have owned that since I've been here. I've been here 20 years. The old lady that I knew and her husband bought that as a brand new house and lived there about 70 years! I never met her husband as he had passed before I moved in - she was a little firecracker .

Paula, nice that your fridge was repaired with the new fan! Thanks for the vertigo workout suggestion - I'll look it up - still need it . Haven't tried the Epley maneuver yet as I haven't had the time to study it again, but that worked for me a few years ago.

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 11-19-19, 10:39 AM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Anita, have you considered vertigo therapy? Mom's reaction to it was so dramatic that I wouldn't want to try it at home. By dramatic, I mean she freaked out and thought she was falling off the table. Then when she went home, she was to not sleep on the treated side and was told to take it easy. She felt like she had been put through the wringer after those treatments. So for her, working with a professional was key. I'm sorry you're still dealing with it. I've only had it once, and it was awful. (And I know what caused mine!)

I dread the holidays. Now that my mom is retired, we have to choose who to spend it with. Honestly, I'd rather stay at home and eat a frozen dinner!

Paula, I'm glad the fridge fix was easy. I'm surprised there are any restaurants open on Christmas. My mom worked at Walgreens, and she always had to work on Christmas morning. She said people would come in looking for eggs and would tell her how shocked they were that no eating establishments were open. Of course, these weren't people who would be doing fine dining. But they indicated that no one was open on Christmas besides Walgreens.

Laura, I hope you see some sunshine soon.

Poor DS has been hit with another problem. He was supposed to go to the dentist for his regular cleaning next month, but they moved it up to yesterday because of a sensitive tooth. It seems it has to do with his open bite. The enamel has worn off one tooth. They put fluoride varnish on it and said they hoped it helped. If so, they will do that each visit. They are hoping it will keep him from having to get a crown. They also suggested he wear a mouth guard at night to prevent grinding. So he will go on Thursday to get that.

Yesterday I did Cathe's Higher Intensity Step from Four Day Split. Today will be a Virtual Active spinning DVD. I rarely do yoga anymore. I used to do a yoga routine after my bike workout for sure and sometimes on other days. I have to make myself work out these days. I wish I still loved to do it. I'm blowing off too many workouts.

Everyone have a good day.
Old 11-19-19, 03:23 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I went for my infusion first thing this morning, 7:45. I was supposed to have it last week but delayed it because I was sick. I was really tired in its aftermath, so I laid down and took a nap after lunch. In a bit, we'll go for haircuts.

Dede - I never heard of that treatment. I hope it works for your DS.

Anita - 20 years in one house is a long time in this day and age. You've probably seen a lot of changes in the neighborhood as a whole as well. I hope you can find a way to address the vertigo.

Paula - What a relief! It's good it was that simple. We had the handle on a second toilet break this week and we're going to have the whole toilet replaced. The ones installed are builder's grade - not very good - and we are enjoying the new one we had installed in the master bathroom.

Laura's Workout Mantras: