Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-30-19, 03:52 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Ever been bothered by instructor comment in a workout?

So I'm doing Kelly's Cardio Strength Overload, really enjoying the workout. Then Kelly makes a comment about music. I paraphrase what she said---saying that it wasn't the 80's anymore with choreographed music. This is a workout! (the last sentence is a quote).

Well. I WAS working out in the 80's. I don't want to go back there but I don't feel that it was less than what I'm doing now, just different. I guess I felt like her comment was a clap back at those who complain when she is off the beat or that they dislike her music choice. I've never really been critical of her music choices, but I felt that it was a slight against criticism, and it was unnecessary. Additionally, while workouts today don't have the length or complexity of choreography than they did, there IS choreography in kickbox or other cardio combos. And IMHO these need to have music on the beat or it is distracting to me. Kelly isn't the only one guilty of not always following the beat of the music (in Cathe's latest there is one cardio combo in which she is not even close to following the beat. I changed what I did to follow the music as it bothered me to be off tempo). I can only recall one or two of Kelly's workout that the offbeat tempo distracted me enough to affect me, but as a consumer I should be able to constructively comment about what I like and don't like.

So. I love CSO. The workout is really in my wheelhouse. But. I didn't like what I felt was a demeaning/dismissive comment. I would like not to hear this comment every single time but in order to do the workout I will hear it every.single.time. Am I making too much of this?

Has this happened to you? Were you able to get past it and continue doing the workout and work out with the instructor? I have pretty much everything Kelly has ever made so this has been very disappointing.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-19, 03:56 PM  
Erica H.

There are definitely certain comments made by various instructors that bug me but it doesn't keep me from doing the workouts. I do hate hearing them every time I do the workouts, though.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-19, 04:02 PM  
Gams

I get tired of hearing some comments over and over like when Leslie would mention that Linda and Jo are grandmas now. In one of Denise’s workouts she’s doing some kind of hip movement and says to make your hips “juicy” which I think is weird, but most comments don’t bother me enough to keep me from doing the workout. Denise also has one workout where she announces “this is my favorite step” except she says it about 8 or 9 different steps in the workout. 😁
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-19, 04:54 PM  
laurajhawk

A single or even a few moderately annoying comments don't usually keep me away from a workout. The ones that come to mind for me are "body talk", Fe Fit "mommy talk", and that one exerciser in Chalene Extreme who has SIX KIDS, did you know she has SIX KIDS??

I agree with you in disliking that comment of Kelly's. It would hit me the same way. I don't like when people instructing one exercise modality/style tear down or disrespect others. Maybe it's a fine line between pointing out the advantages of your own style vs. running down another, but many instructors do it well.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-19, 05:53 PM  
sherry7899

Kelly taught in a gym in the 1980's at a mall where I shopped. She was attending Rider University at the time. Of course I did not know of her then

I do not like put downs of other exercise methods either.

I love workouts that are choreographed to the music. That is why I enjoy Les Mills and Nia so much.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-19, 06:25 PM  
marki64

I really don't get how that was offensive. Kelly has a little bit of a tougher demeanor. I do too, so I feel at home with her. I like her style. I use my own music and turn down the voice, so I rarely hear what instructors say.

I tend to dislike comments about how good your body is going to look. Though I don't think that is said too much anymore. 10 Days to a Better Body is a perfect example. Drives me nuts.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-19, 06:26 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Lots of things instructors say bother me. Usually I just try to let it roll off my back, but I find the comments do affect me, whether I realize it or not. I've become a lot more sensitive to comments about how great something is going to make me look, or that 'summer/bathing suit season is right around the corner,' etc. I'm so over the idea that exercise is just for aesthetics. Not shaming anyone who's primary goal is to look good, but mine just isn't. I'm pushing 50 and I'm just over that, personally. I kind of don't want to hear it anymore. So yeah, sometimes I get annoyed. Usually not so much that I won't do a particular video anymore, but it certainly doesn't endear a workout to me if that kind of talk is contained therein.

As for music, I appreciate musicality. I appreciate instructors who think about working to the beat, who match tempo to the exercises. I can usually get over it if they don't, but I don't like it if the music is too upbeat for the stretch/cool down segment.

I agree with Sherry about no put downs!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-19, 06:54 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Different things bother me about workouts....and I'm not going to list them all. It can include comments but other things also like mugging at the camera, uneven counting, even clothing that doesn't work.

I try not to focus on those things but sometimes it does just detract from the workout. I figure that is my problem. I do think that instructors need to keep in mind that their audience will view their workout many times...so don't say things that may offend or bother, wear clothing that will not work or be dated, etc.

I absolutely agree with the comment of not bashing other fitness programs. That's a no win.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-19, 07:06 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki64 View Post
I really don't get how that was offensive. Kelly has a little bit of a tougher demeanor. I do too, so I feel at home with her. I like her style. I use my own music and turn down the voice, so I rarely hear what instructors say.

I tend to dislike comments about how good your body is going to look. Though I don't think that is said too much anymore. 10 Days to a Better Body is a perfect example. Drives me nuts.
I took it to be a slap at people who criticize that she isn't on the beat. I think everyone has a right to an opinion, particularly as a consumer, and it bugged me that she was implying that there was something wrong with people commenting about her music. That's how I took it anyway. Offended is too strong a word for what I feel. Bugged is better.

Agree about the instructor comments about how good my body will look---after doing their workout, of course. These seem to be less common, thankfully. I did Cathe's wedding video last week and it was full of IMHO dated comments. I enjoyed the workout itself, but my eyes were rolled more often than not at the dialog.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-19, 04:35 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I still love workouts choreographed to music, I still love good music in workouts, and of course I still love the 80s! (Well I get a nostalgic kick out of them anyway. )
Sorry, Kelly!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
instructors, pet peeves