Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-15-19, 07:28 PM  
skyy2

Getting back into fitness

Hello everyone,

I haven't signed on in over 2.5 years. In that time, my health has gone in rapid decline. What are some of the things that you all have done to jump back into fitness? At one point in my life, I was a fitness beast!!! Now, it's hard to stand for too long.

Thanks!!
Old 04-15-19, 07:35 PM  
rhbrand

Sometimes simple things. A short walk, a short Leslie Sansone or similar workout.

Maybe a short toning workout. Just start a couple days a week, until you can do 3 days a week.

And welcome back!
Old 04-15-19, 07:51 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

You might want to look into Leslie Sansone's more recent videos using dumbbells for toning. They're a good way to get back into fitness:

Walk It Off in 30 (2 routines - 30m fast walk, 30m total body toning)

Tone Every Zone (3 routines - 20m upper body/walk circuit, 20m power body/walk circuit, 20m fast walk)

Good luck and enjoy getting fitter!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-19, 08:45 PM  
DCW

Welcome back!!!

Although you haven't worked out in awhile, your exercise memory will kick in. Be patient with yourself. Starting is the biggest hurdle. You got this!!!
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-19, 10:59 PM  
OSusanna

I recommend Leslie Sansone to everyone who is beginning for the first time or restarting. I also recommend her to people who consider themselves fit. I think her workouts have benefits for everyone.

I myself struggle when I restart. With videos I am at home and not in front of others so I can just focus on doing my best and working to my capacity.
I would suggest preparing to do one mile/session and not necessarily at her pace if it’s too taxing. However, if walking continuously with her for one mile is too long then the goal might be to be standing for that one mile duration and joining in when you can. It does get better, her miles are usually 15-20 minutes. The best paced video for restarting is Walk off Fat Fast. There a 20 minute option in that one. Enjoy you workout journey
OSusanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-19, 06:00 AM  
bubbles76

Welcome back! I also recommend the Powerfits. They are a good length, Stephanie has an encouraging voice, and the workouts can be modified up or down. Leslie is also a fantastic suggestion. If you like to dance and don't mind some free form, Misty Tripoli is also good. Her workouts even feature people dancing in a chair, and the music is fantastic!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-19, 06:03 AM  
PhyllisG

If it is,hard to stand for too long try chair workouts .I too have had health issues and have been doing Koya Webb Yoga for Beginners. BED Yoga. Ten minutes all done on your bed. I do that first thing in the a.m . Now using some FitPrimes later in the day. Good luck and feel better.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-19, 06:28 AM  
buffmama

Make it a habit. 5 or 10 min a day to start. Just do something. That was what worked for me.
Old 04-16-19, 07:41 AM  
alisoncooks

I'm currently restarting after a long hiatus and weight gain. We bought an elliptical for Christmas (plantar fasciitis is making walking difficult but mine isn't bothered by the movement of the elliptical). I seriously started off with 3 minutes, no resistance/incline. Then increased little by little.

I'm also doing Jane Adams Gentle Yoga and some stretching workouts. I'm at the place now where I can add in some short weight segments.

Best wishes! I know it can be super discouraging to know what we used to be able to do vs. where we are now. I'm just focusing on improvement and small steps!
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-19, 08:05 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyllisG View Post
If it is,hard to stand for too long try chair workouts .I too have had health issues and have been doing Koya Webb Yoga for Beginners. BED Yoga. Ten minutes all done on your bed. I do that first thing in the a.m . Now using some FitPrimes later in the day. Good luck and feel better.

The you tube channels Yoga by Candace and Yoga Upload both have yoga in bed practices of you want some variety.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
restarting