Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-11, 12:04 PM  
Eibhinn

Question for fans: What is it about Leslie and weight loss?

It seems that Leslie Sansone workouts are most frequently cited as having contributed to people's weight loss and maintanence, and she obviously has many very devoted fans. So I'm wondering, what exactly is it about her workouts that help people lose weight, and how do those who have had success with her walking workouts tend to use them?

Do you think it's because:
- they're accessible for people who have lots of weight to lose since they're low impact and are easy to follow?
- they're no brainer workouts that are easy to do when you're half asleep in the morning? (I've read morning exercisers tend to lose more weight than otherwise)
- it's easier to be consistent with something that seems easy and doable, and thus has less dread factor?
- most cardio workouts actually keep you in an anaerobic versus fat-burning zone, possibly causing people to overeat?
- variety, or at least too much variety, is actually a bad thing, and our bodies and minds work better if we're doing nearly the same thing over and over and over again?
- Leslie is a lot more encouraging than a lot of instructors?
- or other reasons?

And do people who use Leslie a lot, especially with weight loss successes:
- do walking cardio every day? more than once a day?
- incorporate other strength training?
- Use the really long (hour +) walks most often, or the shorter mile or two ones?
- have really active lifestyles and just use the walking workouts when inclement weather keeps them inside?
- or use them in other ways?

I'll admit I've never quite got the whole Leslie thing, but remain curious.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-11, 12:11 PM  
daisysunshine

Ebby, I think it's all of above.

when I was my heaviest (the first time) Leslie was all I did, mostly did it in the morning, and Leslie makes you think you could do it. I wasn't intimidated. I can't dance, I can't kickbox, I hate step - I love athletic based conditioning. I also like adding a walk in here or more and Leslie makes it happen. Sometimes she gets a little grah [for me] but so does EVERYONE eventually, (and I'm the gal who hates change).

when school starts, I'll be using Leslie because I can get in a walk in. I really don't know if a Leslie walk + Strength/Pilates/Yoga + my "actual cardio workout" counts as too much exercise, but I am going to try to make sure I get a walk in at least two days a week instead of kettlebelling. (as much as I love it i won't lie all this stuff about overtraining and not workng the same muscles totally has me confuzzled.

...right now you're saying, no i can't do this. you should know by now i don't train that way - Dasha Libin

offering the two tracey mallet dance workouts, pm me.
daisysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-11, 12:31 PM  
DejaDeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhinn View Post
... what exactly is it about (Leslie Sansone's) workouts that help people lose weight, and how do those who have had success with her walking workouts tend to use them?
I never thought I had a "lot" of weight to lose, but last year -- thanks to a "Biggest Loser" contest at work -- I lost 18 pounds that I didn't "know" I had, LOL! The weight had crept on over the years (I'm 50) -- but now that I've lost it, I ain't never going back!

It wasn't really exercise that did it for me, it was more about watching what I ate. However, I exercise to help maintain my weight, to help my heart stay strong and healthy, and to strengthen my bones and tone my muscles.

I personally like Leslie's workouts for at least two of the reasons you've cited:

- they're accessible ... since they're low impact and are easy to follow
- they're no brainer workouts that are easy to do when you're half asleep in the morning

If I'm short on time (and I almost always am in the mornings!), I'll do a two-mile (30 minute) walk; but I'd rather do a three- or four-mile walk (45 or 60 minutes.) I don't really like going out for walks the way most people seem to. We live on the top of a mountain, so I have to deal with a LOT of steep climbs (don't mind them so much) and descents (these tend to bother my knees.) I'll only go for an outdoor walk if the weather is really nice -- I love the fall! I would much rather "walk" indoors where I can listen to (normally) good music, add weighted upper body work, and add other steps (kicks, squats) for variety. The only time I really go for walks is when my husband asks me to join him; I enjoy his company.

In addition to walking, I like kickboxing with either Ilaria or Kimberly Spreen -- both have very straightforward styles. I also enjoy different types of strength training.

By the way, I think a lot of Leslie's followers (but not all!) are probably close to her age, so they may tend to relate to her a bit more. One of my overweight co-workers had asked me for some workout suggestions, so I gave her a couple of my DVD's, one of them being a Leslie walking DVD. My friend didn't like Leslie -- but she'd just turned 30, so I figured she just wasn't able to relate to Leslie's banter with her fellow exercisers (i.e., talk about being grandmothers, etc.)
Old 08-09-11, 12:42 PM  
Demeris

In addition to all the reasons already posted, I do Leslie because she is deliberately and consciously upbeat. Sometimes I need that encouraging world-view to bolster me.

She also has something that leads me to believe she is genuinely this way in most things.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-11, 01:20 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
In addition to all the reasons already posted, I do Leslie because she is deliberately and consciously upbeat. Sometimes I need that encouraging world-view to bolster me.

She also has something that leads me to believe she is genuinely this way in most things.
ditto, ditto.

i personally have never had a leslie success story where i had exclusively used her workouts. however, i bookmark all of the stories i come across on VF about how people did lots of walking, w/ or w/o leslie, and lost a good bit of weight! i do own lots of leslie's and use it from time to time when i need to re-start myself.

a lot of her encouragement and success pointers are pretty common-sense, and serve as good reminders and not nagging or annoying. i've read her 2 books and picked up some good ideas.

i lost weight using other systems even before i decided to try leslie. but the concept is pretty much the same: consistently do something and you'll achieve your goal.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-11, 01:26 PM  
novas10

I've lost weight with doing nothing but Leslie, but I have to do 3-4 miles a day and watch what I eat. 2 miles does nothing for me.
I also up the intensity and try to do the faster videos (the ones with "boosted walking.") When I've done other workouts, the weight won't budge.
novas10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-11, 01:30 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I think one secret it that she gets you moving, but not to the point that it drastically increases your appetite. I like challenging workouts and this is a problem I have when I do them. With Leslie, this problem doesn't occur.

My problem with Leslie workouts is that I do get bored and start watching the clock. I was never consistent with cardio workouts until I started learning choreography. That occupies my brain and I don't get bored.
Old 08-09-11, 01:31 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by novas10 View Post
I've lost weight with doing nothing but Leslie, but I have to do 3-4 miles a day and watch what I eat. 2 miles does nothing for me.
I also up the intensity and try to do the faster videos (the ones with "boosted walking.") When I've done other workouts, the weight won't budge.
Nova ~ congrats! over what period did you experience pounds lost? how many days a week did you do your walks and which ones were/are your favs?

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-11, 01:34 PM  
Ann1964

I had one Leslie DVD. I am sure she is very nice, but they were not for me.
Ann1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-11, 02:54 PM  
ssgilby

I've never had a lot of weight to lose, but when I've had some flab to ditch, I turn to a LOT of Leslie. I think it works for me because my body just prefers long, steadier state cardio. Some people swear by higher intensity, intervals, HIIT or whatever the latest study shows is THE thing for weightloss (although I understand that some types of cardio training are more for building cardiovascular fitness/endurance rather than fat loss), but for me, the longer I can keep moving, the more I'll see some flab go by the wayside. Granted, I almost always modify Leslie up. I usually either add handweights or up the intensity by adding some higher impact moves, some plyo moves and "danc-i-fying" Leslies basic moves. I've also been known to add Tracy Anderson style unweighted arm work and standing ab work. I think the point is, I go for longer periods of time (if I could get in 3 60-min. Leslie walks a week, I'd be flab free!) keeping my heart rate up there but not sky high (with a few peaks here and there) and that's what my body will respond to.

Unfortunately I just can't do Leslie frequently for long periods of time. I love her to death, but even with my modifications, I get bored. I also know that if I did daily Leslie workouts, my back would start complaining and my PF would flare up. Just once though I'd like to try to do 5-6 45-60 min. Leslie walks each week (modifying them in my usual way) for a month. I'm really curious as to see what kind of changes my body would show.

Tags
leslie, leslie sansone, leslie sansone toning, leslie success, walking for weight loss, walking workouts, weight loss