Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-11, 01:13 PM  
isebelleg44

Please help me find my waist!

First off, I know diet is the most important element and I will work on that.

Today I was trying on dresses at Old Navy and felt depressed. I look horrible and shapeless in dresses! I have no waist and a flat behind. Ugh! As an apple, I know that it is difficult to achieve an hour glass figure that looks good in dresses. I just want to look better than I do now.

Other than diet and cardio, what workouts help slim down your waist? Thanks!
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-11, 01:15 PM  
Michelle
VF Supporter

1. Squeeze Stronger
2. Squeeze
3. BBL series

"You must do what you think you cannot do."
Eleanor Roosevelt
Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-11, 01:29 PM  
Dawnee

1. Callanetics
2. Essentrics: Arms, Abs & Waist Toner
3. Jane Fonda - Workout (original)

I must add that I am a Pear!
Dawnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-11, 01:41 PM  
JessieMarie

Yoga has given me a waist for the first time ever.

Also, dressing for your body shape helps. If I wear a dress I need a high waisted, thick belt or other accessories that are going to create the illusion of a waist.
JessieMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-11, 01:54 PM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

Two things worked for me workout-wise (what I eat and my overall body fat are also important in the equation):

1. Learning to engage the transverse muscle and focusing on isometric work - i.e., barre work such as c-curve, flat back, round back, and plank. This has made my abs flat.

2. Essentrics / Classical Stretch. In June, I took live CS classes for one month (did nothing else) and lost 1/2 inch off my waist. I was very surprised since I am not overweight and my diet was not particularly great. I think this is mostly due to all the exercises where you constantly stretch the side body; that really improved my posture.

This month I combined Essentrics and barre work to get the best of both worlds
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-11, 02:23 PM  
Snuckles

I must admit that BBX is proving to be a good workout for apples. It's pretty expensive for what you get but has a really strong core focus. I've only been using it for about a week and am really happy thus far. Prior to acquiring BBX I did a month rotation of RKS and before that 2 weeks of Skogg.

I also try to find dress that are flattering to my shape or play up my positives like my rear, legs and arms.
Snuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-11, 03:33 PM  
goldillocks

Diet and the right underwear can create the perfect waist.
There are various types of sliming bodies you can wear under a dress to make your tummy flatter and there are also panties with padding that can create a higher rounder butt
goldillocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-11, 03:46 PM  
Pie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuckles View Post
I must admit that BBX is proving to be a good workout for apples. It's pretty expensive for what you get but has a really strong core focus. I've only been using it for about a week and am really happy thus far. Prior to acquiring BBX I did a month rotation of RKS and before that 2 weeks of Skogg.

I also try to find dress that are flattering to my shape or play up my positives like my rear, legs and arms.
What's BBX? Thanks......

Results are not made in the Comfort Zone........ - Mike Karpenko
Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-11, 03:47 PM  
videofit

I am currently reading a book, Staging Your Comeback, which I spotted in the library and got simply out of curiosity because I remembeed seeing Christopher Hopkins doing makeovers on Oprah. It is aimed at women over 45. There are some jaw dropping before-and-afters! I don't always agree with his choices for hair, makeup and fashion but what I found especially helpful and which I haven't seen elsewhere is how he analyzes body types beyond hourglass, pear, apple and ruler. He uses an additional system of quadrants. Then based on which combination of the two measurements you are, he recommends things to wear or not wear. I think you would find it very informative and useful in general.
Old 07-23-11, 04:25 PM  
cherimac

I sound like a broken record, lol. I've done barre, Firm, Cathe, etc~in the 20ish years I've been working out at home with VHS and then DVDs. I am very short-waisted and nothing gave me definition like Slim Series and now Erin O'Brien (who is sneaky about working the waist throughout her workouts, particularly the Kristi Yamaguchi Power Workout). YMMV, but each time I do a Slim Series rotation I lose inches off my waist.

Tags
waist