Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-23-11, 12:12 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

If you could live for a day in your 21 year old body...

How different would it be?

My husband made a throwaway comment the other night in a conversation about aging, that it would be interesting to live for a day in his 21 year old body and compare it to how he feels now. We were specifically talking about energy levels at the time, but my mind went immediately to functionality.

I am 48, but I can run farther than I could when I was 21. When I was 21, I was an unfit skinny-fat. And I was THIN, baby; very thin. Much thinner than I am now. But I can run longer, stretch farther, and heft more than I could've dreamed of back then.

Yeah, if I was in my 21 year old body, I would look down and see a SMALLER me, much thinner, bonier, with a flat belly and perkier breasts. And I had more natural energy then. But I couldn't BEGIN to do what I can do now as a fit 48 year old.

Fitness matters so much more than just youth or just thinness... Yeah, I'd LIKE to be that thin again. But if the cost was giving up my current mental and physical toughness, no way. I remember doing Gilad's Bodies in Motion with a neighbor in Married Student Housing and I could not make it through is 7 minutes of aerobics without almost passing out. I thought my arms would drop off doing shoulder work WITH NO WEIGHTS!!! Imagine. If I had had to run 4 miles or touch my toes or do squats with 2x 15 lb dumbbells, oh my, I probably would've thrown up. Or passed out.

So what do you guys think, if you could go back to live for a day in your 21 year old body, how would it compare to now?

(my apologies to those under 25! --this thread is not relevant to your interests yet, is it? lol.)
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-11, 12:23 PM  
neatski

Granted, 21 wasn't that long ago for me, but like you, I am much stronger and healthier now than I was back then. I was a vegetarian (absolutely no judgment on vegetarianism, it was just totally wrong for my body), borderline anemic, sick a lot and pretty much only did cardio. I feel like I've done a complete 180 in the past year or so... strength training has benefited my body and health so much. No desire for the 21 year old me!

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-11, 12:28 PM  
topfitmama

21 was 11 years ago. I was heavier, went to the gym and bicycled a lot. But my diet was a lot worse than it is now, and I had a lot more headaches and back pain. I hated my body then, I am a lot more merciful with it now.
If I could go back to my 21 year old body for one day, I would nourish it better and punish it less.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-11, 12:29 PM  
ooty

I absolutely cannot remember anything except I was 93 lbs ( not skinny, just normal for my tiny almost 5 feet frame), had 3 feet of thick hair and totally naive, extremely sheltered life which consisted of getting "A" grades and being "goody" two shoes ( dang.. I missed out on so much fun). No exercise what so ever, didn't even think that I would ever need it.. an alien concept to me.

If I could go back, I would LIVE IT UP and partay (in a good way, definitely dancing, but no drinking)!
Old 02-23-11, 12:29 PM  
rickets
VF Supporter

Well, it would be nice to have a day with no aches or pains of any kind.
rickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-11, 12:32 PM  
Gams

That was so long ago I'm not sure I ever really was 21...
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-11, 12:33 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Well, there was one big difference: I was a smoker back then:

I can do more stuff now, more flexible, stronger.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-11, 12:34 PM  
Patti S.
VF Supporter

That's 21 years ago for me. When I was 21 I was about 40 pounds heavier, not moving my body in any way, and eating junk food for every meal. My digestive system was a total mess.

At 42, I'm exercising and meditating daily, healthy, avoiding junk food and and size 8....I think I'll just keep the 42 year old body, thanks very much!!
Old 02-23-11, 12:36 PM  
ooty

Ooh Sharon/.. love your pics . I really need to finish my powerpoint. I will be back later.
Old 02-23-11, 12:40 PM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

Fun pictures -- I love those clothes, Sharon.

I was heavy from my earliest memories to about age 20 when I started fighting it. I remember in college a friend and I ran a mile -- a whole mile! -- to see if we could pull it off. We were so proud of ourselves. Now many years later, I've got lots of races and long runs under my belt, not to mention strength gains and an interest in kundalini, hula hoops, bellydance, etc.

I accomplished more in a day's time back then and also had a bigger social network. I'd like to get some of that back.

Tags
aging, wisdom