Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-21-11, 12:29 PM  
Fitstick

Opinions on Rubber Flooring

I'm thinking of putting rubber flooring in my workout room. Please give your opinions - either positive or negative - on working out on rubber flooring! I don't want to make the purchase and regret it.

Thanks!!
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-11, 12:40 PM  
RedPanda

If you're talking about puzzle mats I would say go for it!

They are great for any form of exercise where you might torque your knees, like boxing and kickboxing, and also make a comfortable slightly padded surface for yoga, Pilates and stretching, as well as exercises like burpees, sprawls and planks.
Old 01-21-11, 12:57 PM  
TonyaC
VF Supporter

Fitstick - Are you asking about the kind of rubber flooring you'd find in the weight room area of a gym? So, kind of hard, not squishy at all? I recently asked about this, but didn't really get any responses specifically about this type of flooring. I'd be interested in any opinions.

I'm debating between the rubber rolls and the plyorobic rolls on this website: http://www.rubberflooringinc.com/rubber-roll/index.html. I got samples of both and the plyorobic is actually quite springy. The company says it's a good option for using directly over concrete for high-impact workouts. The other stuff on that site is a lot harder.

I'm having a hard time deciding because I want to do high-impact cardio AND put my squat rack and heavy weights on top of it. The heavy equipment might cause the plyorobic flooring to become permanently "squished," but the harder stuff might not provide enough cushioning for high-impact. I fear that I'm going to end up getting half and half and making a sort of frankenstein floor.
TonyaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-11, 01:15 PM  
Fitstick

TonyaC, yes, I am talking about the rubber flooring from the exact same website (rubberflooring inc) that you are looking at! I just called them to ask about the plyometric roll and the lady thought it would be fine for my workout room and for weights. I have a dumbell rack, variety of dumbells, barbell etc and she didn't seem to think it would be a problem. I also told her I would have a couple pieces of furniture in there and she thought the plyometric roll would still be a good choice. She suggested I order samples of it (originally I just ordered the regular rubber flooring samples) of the two different thicknesses. If anyone has experience with this flooring it would be great to hear about it. The website has reviews from people who have used it and it seems very positive.
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-11, 01:20 PM  
TonyaC
VF Supporter

Cool! When I asked about the plyorobic flooring, the customer service rep said that my heavy equipment might be an issue, not that I should run screaming in the other direction. That probably is what I'm going to opt for. Besides, it's not very likely that I'm going to move my squat rack to a different location, so even if the floor does get compressed, it probably doesn't really matter.

I think you may have enabled me...but that's a good thing since it's cheaper than the regular rubber flooring with the same thickness!
Old 01-21-11, 01:53 PM  
mhm38

My husband put rubber flooring in what we call the man cave. It is his office/wine cellar. I have no idea what type he selected but it smells even 5 years later. Something to consider if its flooring in a small space. It has a very strong rubber smell.
mhm38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-11, 03:53 PM  
fluffydogfan

On recommendation by another VFer, I went to Tractor Supply Co. and bought 4' x 6' rubber horse stall mats for $40 each. They are excellent. I have a squat rack on top of them and it's no problem. They are so, so heavy that they don't move. I dropped a 350 lb. barbell on them once and they took it like a champ.
They are kind of textured, so they aren't fun to clean, but I think that's true with any flooring like this -- including those awful puzzle mats (which I had prior to the horse mats.)

Katie
fluffydogfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-11, 04:02 PM  
Fonzie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydogfan View Post
On recommendation by another VFer, I went to Tractor Supply Co. and bought 4' x 6' rubber horse stall mats for $40 each. They are excellent. I have a squat rack on top of them and it's no problem. They are so, so heavy that they don't move. I dropped a 350 lb. barbell on them once and they took it like a champ.
They are kind of textured, so they aren't fun to clean, but I think that's true with any flooring like this -- including those awful puzzle mats (which I had prior to the horse mats.)

Katie
For my weights area I use the rubber horse mat from Tractor Supply too. It is sturdy, doesn't slip and dropping weights on it is not a problem. I don't notice that it smells rubbery or bad either, unless I purposely stick my nose to the mat and sniff it.

Last edited by Fonzie; 01-21-11 at 04:05 PM. Reason: grammar
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-11, 04:48 PM  
TonyaC
VF Supporter

Fonzie and fluffydogfan - Do either of you do cardio on your rubber mats? If not, do you think they would provide enough shock absorption if you did?
Old 01-21-11, 05:01 PM  
Fonzie
VF Supporter

Tonya, I occasionally use the rubber mat for things like Plyo X and find it works well enough for me. Most of my cardio workouts require more space than the 4x6 mat provides, so I have to do those in a different area.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flooring, mats