Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-21-20, 09:57 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Good morning!!

Laura, thank you for those encouraging words..... I do feel like I will find something -- I just don't know what yet. Sometimes it's fun to think about and sometimes it's just daunting.

Paula, there's four outdoor rinks that are next to a big baseball field, I think also near the government offices. At the corner of Barranca Parkway and Jamboree Rd. Though I always liked tooling around Irvine and finding places to eat, the rinks at Huntington Beach are nicer because they're indoors. Funny story, one time some kids wanted frozen yogurt, and I found whatever that big chain is on the map in Irvine. We head to it and as I'm pulling up I think "this is odd -- it looks like an office building" but sure enough we walk in and though there is a woman at a desk at the front door, there in front of us is the familiar yogurt server yourself counter. The kids charge on toward that and the woman frantically says "excuse me, excuse me!" Turns out it was their headquarters building, not a shop! and that was for employees. So funny!!

Anita, those are interesting observations -- I know what you mean about the broken nail! Not that I feed earthworms to anyone, but there's always a bit of an adjustment.

My father in law was Professor Kirk McVoy -- not sure that rings a bell. I'm honestly not sure what type of professor he was, but recently one of his students tracked down my husband to tell him what an impact Kirk had on his life. That was pretty cool for my hubby to receive. Kirk died in 2004, I believe it was.

Oh, my workout this morning was Pahla's day 10 -- I added on day 9 yesterday later in the day. I'm not sure her weight loss challenge is doing me any good in that department but I think I have to remember to focus on being healthy, not my weight, because it seems to just backfire if I focus on my weight.

Have a great day!!
Old 01-21-20, 08:13 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

It was a busy but good day. This morning, I did a short band strength workout at home. Then, we went to lunch at Chick Fill A before DH's appointment at the pain clinic. The office is across town and the appointment was at 12:30, so we drove over there to have lunch. Anyway, I worked on my blog post while he was in his appointment. This afternoon, I went to Trader Joe's.

We remain in the deep freeze - for North Carolina. I told DH today that I've been wussified because 39 felt really, really cold.

Bee - Yeah, that's how things go when you try to lose weight. I hope you find a rhythm that works for you.

Anita - That's pretty funny about the LinkedIn form. It sounds like yesterday was a reflective kind of day.

Paula - If you're going to do a Hiit workout, then an easy one is the way to go. Well, you gotta figure that people must enjoy living in ND or no one would live there. It sounds like you got a first-hand view from someone.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-20, 09:24 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Jessica Smith's Chair Cardio and Strength followed by Tamilee's 10 min floor stretch. I had PT this morning and will do the routine again before bed.

Anita, you are the only person I've even known who mourned a broken findgernail because they could no loner use it to feed earthworms to turtles. Thanks - got a good chuckle from that one. Yeah, I still cook but not as much, we eat a lot more microwave stuff. I feel quilty about it but not enough to change. I always have a lot of veggies and hummus ready to go, just to ensure we're getting plenty of veggies. I hear you on slowing down.

Bee, I believe the area you are describing is in the Civic Center complex. Basically Barranca and Harvard. We aren't far from there and I never knew those rinks were there. I never go to the Civic Center except to vote. If I ever finish PT, I plan to check out Pahla's 30 day weight loss challenge. Are you enjoying it?

Laura, glad you had a good day. I like band workouts. The PT has me using bands as part of my routine. I never was involved with Linkedin while I was working. After I retired I wrote a few articles that appeared in boating magazines and I was getting invitations to join Linkedin regularly. I never understood what it was or how/why to use it and finally quit getting the invitations.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-20, 09:03 AM  
boakley
VF Supporter

Hi All! Just a fly-by for me - kinda blue feeling like it's 3 steps forward, 2 back with getting back to running/injury recovery. But this mood will pass I'm sure. We've had snow, very cold temps, although thanks to the ocean not as much snow or as cold as you Anita! January really is a tough month, so I appreciate the title!

Bee, welcome I've got just the one boy and he is in 2nd semester a little over an hour away at university. He LOVES it so far, and we don't miss him as much as we thought. Mind you he's home frequently as his GF lives here and is in her senior year of HS.

OK - gotta go. Didn't want you all to think I was gone for good! Waves to all!

Beth

Tom Petty
boakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-20, 09:18 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on hitting a tech dump and getting rid of an old TV, VCR and DVD player - all about 30 years old (but still working). Also going for a hair cut and stopping by the Apple store at the mall to get rid of an AirPort Time Capsule that I don't use any more - want it erased as it contains lots of my computer backups. Also stopping by a garden store to pick up some narcissus bulbs and giving Gus a walk today. We're having 9 days way above normal in the low 30s - lots of melting and freezing on the streets, though.

Bee, Ha! on hitting the main headquarters of a frozen yogurt shop - hope they allowed your kids to eat what they had grabbed. Sorry, I can't remember the name of my physics professor .

Laura, 39 is the peak of the heat wave we're hoping for these next 9 days !

Paula, Yeah, I've got to get back to eating more veggies and simple foods. You'd figure I'd be doing lots more cooking since I live alone and am retired, but I'm not... Seems I'm tending more towards just heat and eat a meal from the grocery store.

Waves to all!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-20, 01:59 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

This morning, I went to the YMCA and did 40 minutes on my bike elliptical. It was a good steady-state workout.

Today is the one day this week that we don't have an appointment, so it's the day we're doing laundry and cooking and all that kind of thing. I continue to work on my blog post about printing Excel documents. It's a bright and sunny day here and it's supposed to get into the 40s. Yay!

Anita - Well, if cooking isn't a big love, I can see why you'd want to simplify it. As long as you like what you eat and you're not starving, it's all good. After all that thawing and freezing on the streets, you're going to have a fun spring of potholes...

Beth - It's good to see you. Haing in there as you go through this part of the recovery cycle.

Paula - It makes sense to not join LinkedIn when you're retired. I only use it for professional reasons. I didn't know you were a published author!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 01-22-20, 03:30 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Hello All!

Late last week I decided to order Cathe's new pre-order and along with it I ordered the new Step Boss PHA and Strong and Sweaty Boot Camp. Those two arrived Monday, I think (surprisingly since it was MLK Day). I did Boot Camp this morning -- modified a fair bit but with those modifications found it very doable and don't think it's going to wear me out too much. Cathe even showed low impact modifications for the cardio pieces -- I was shocked. Anyway, fun and I was amazed at how much happier I felt finishing that 45 minutes of work as opposed to 20 minutes of Pahla. I just can't sustain those kinds of intense workouts every day, even modified.

Yes, Paula, the civic center! I was trying to come up with that name and just couldn't. Funny that you are near there. Oh and yes, I actually am enjoying Pahla's workouts -- it is a bit like working out with a friend, but, it surprised me how happy I was today finishing that Cathe. So I may mix it up more.

Anita, not surprising that you can't remember a professor's name! I certainly couldn't come up with many names of mine -- maybe one or two that I really remember -- but I thought it might sound familiar.

Laura, I always love the days when I have nowhere to be so that I can finally have a big chunk of time to get things done at home. Hope it's been a productive day for you!

Waves to Beth -- nice that your son is going to college so nearby!
Old 01-22-20, 09:26 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Karen Voight's Yoga Stretch followed by my PT routine. Need to do the PT routine again before bed.

Hi Beth, good to see you. I hear you on getting frustrated with recovery - I'm still doing PT twice a day for my hip. Glad you DS is enjoying college - that's a big plus.

Anita, my city has a hazardous waste disposal site that take electronics. It's so helpful when you need to get rid of old electronics. I understand totally about cooking less when you're single - hardly seems worth the work and there are so many healthy pre-made options now. When we're traveling we make a stop at a grocery every day and make a salad or get something from the deli for our dinner in our hotel room. Fast, easy, healthy.

Laura, well done getting 40 minutes in at the YMCA. Yes, I've published a few things but I suspect Anita has too and probably more weighty stuff.

Bee, when I first tried Pahla I didn't like the workout or her style much but as I do more with her, I'm warming up to her. If I ever finish PT I want to do this year's 30 days of yoga with Adriene and the 30 days weight loss program with Pahla. But it gives me something to look forward to. The big cross streets nearest my home are Culver and Barranca.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-20, 09:26 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

It is remarkably beautiful outside right now - we had some hoar frost with the warm temperatures and a light powder snow that caught on the frost outlining every small twig on the trees - very cool! It'll all likely be melted away in a few hours.

Today I'm planning on going to chair yoga and taking some old framed posters to a charity shop. I love the images captured on the posters, but after about 25 years they have faded badly - unfortunately they are not directly replaceable. As I'm minimizing stuff around here I may leave the walls in my living room blank for now. I'm debating needing to patch the nail holes and repaint the walls - they are very subtly faded around the old poster frames. Otherwise planning on doing laundry (sheets and blankets), cleaning up the house and watering the orchids.

Laura, yeah, potholes are a big hazard around here, but even with the snowy streets we're driving in icy ruts. Frankly it feels like I'm on a bucking bronco driving the side streets. I only had to drive about 6 blocks to get to the Tech Dump yesterday, but my TV bounced around in the back a lot - not that it matters much if it broke. I'm hoping these framed posters can make 4 blocks in the car today!

Bee, wow, those sound like intense workouts! I used to do that stuff, but now it just makes me cringe. I should try to get back and do some light workouts just to get my body moving in different directions than sitting and standing and walking. I'll try to look up my academic transcript and see if they listed the instructor names with the classes I took.

Paula, our Tech Dump also charges a fee for what you leave (some stuff is free) - I do like supporting that service as they help out a lot of disabled people with jobs. As I'm looking at senior housing options, there are some that offer meals with it also (usually places that also support assisted living people) - I'd like the option to grab a few meals so I could socialize with some other people there also - these are full meals. Others plan the social meals, but it's usually pizza for major football days or sub sandwiches for choir practice days. Lots of stuff in the grocery stores are now heat and eat packed meals - kind of nice! Yeah, I've published lots of scientific papers and quite a few book chapters. I didn't have any issues with the scientific papers as they were research I did for my PhD, but the book chapters were often topics distributed amongst all the vet toxicologists in the country to write up - I didn't have experience other than doing book research on a few of those topics and feel bad that I missed some aspects of species differences in some of my chapters. I just quit doing that stuff as I didn't want to cause any harm.

Waves to all!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-20, 10:34 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I did a few minutes exercise with a band this morning at home. This afternoon, AARP is sponsoring an online job networking event, which I will attend. I'm not sure exactly what it is, but we'll see if I make any contacts. Yesterday afternoon, I had a phone interview for a full-time job. Afterwards, I did some research about what it's like to work for the company and found out they don't allow for work from home AND in order to be paid for a holiday, you have to work the day before and the day after AND they don't give nearly as much vacation as I want. So, if they want to interview me further, I'm going to say no. I hate working for companies that don't support time off and work/life balance and they sound like that.

Anita - Driving on your roads sounds like too much of an adventure! I hope you get everything to where it needs to go without too much trouble. You continue to make progress on the house. Did you ever check out getting posters printed? I'm just curious (and nosy ).

Paula - It's good you have a plan for after PT. It will give you something to look forward to.

Bee - It's always interesting how different bodies respond to different exercise. Heavy strength work always makes me tired.

Laura's Workout Mantras: