Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-19, 09:08 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

I took Gus for a nice long walk yesterday, but that was my only trip out - no movies yet. I was kind of surprised how full the lots were at the movie houses though - there are a lot of non-Christians in this area though so they wouldn't be celebrating Christmas.

Today I'm planning on another walk with Gus, but that's about it out there - kind of afraid of the crowds at stores busy with returns.

Paula, glad you got out to your favorite restaurant yesterday. Mmmmm pie . We're having a foggy drippy day also - not the intense CA storms we saw on radar though.

Waves to all!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-19, 06:49 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

I have a hard time coming up with a good lower body routine to do because of my knees, so I tried something new today. I did Cathe's pyramid pump (LITE). I'd not done it before. I might have to tweak it some if I do it again. My knees felt beat up. I especially have trouble with leg press now. We were using a step with only three risers, so I thought I'd be okay. But I would get a sharp twinge in my left knee occasionally. I might have to do some of the moves with no weight.

I've tried some of Jessica Smith's lower body exercises for bad knees on YouTube. They are challenging and do give me doms. But I also don't feel as if I'm getting any strength benefits from them. I don't know what else to do.

Anita, I have a feeling you get more exercise just working in your yard or walking Gus than I get doing any of my workouts. I must admit I laughed out loud when I read, "We're warm here in the mid30's this week." I don't think I've ever thought of the mid-30s as warm!

Paula, it sounds like you had a good Christmas. Well, except for the rain. Sorry about the pain from the Shingles vaccine.

Everyone have a good evening.
Old 12-26-19, 10:29 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Jessica Smith's Chair Cardio and Strength then PT. I need to do the PT routine again before bed.

It rained hard all last night but luckily held off today while we were getting groceries. We're supposed to get more rain tonight. I'm not complaining, it's snowing in the mountains and snow on the mountains is so darn pretty.

Anita, I'm with Dede, got a good laugh from you saying 30's is warm. Hope it's warm enough for you and Gus to go for a long walk again today.

Dede, There are several workouts on YouTube for people with bad knees. I agree that Anita gets more working out in a day than I do just by walking Gus and working in her yard. I hope now Christmas is over your life gets a little easier.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-19, 05:51 AM  
boakley
VF Supporter

Hi All! Happy POST Christmas to you all! The holidays can be fun but hectic for sure, and I find some of the expectations are what breed disappointment. With DS at 19, our Christmas Eve, and Day were much more mellow and we enjoyed them. The three of us went to Star Wars on Christmas Eve. Going to a movie has been a tradition of ours on the 24th for several years now. We enjoyed this movie much more than the last in this series. Christmas Day was spent with DH's family, and today we head to mine. My sister and I are doing dinner for everyone at her place

Workouts - Leslie 1, 2 and 3 miles most days until yesterday when I did my Virtual Active run in Northern Italy on the rebounder. It felt good. I cut it short at 20 minutes and so far today everything feels good.

Time to get moving before the 3 hour drive. Waves to you all! I will check in again tomorrow or Sunday

Beth

Tom Petty
boakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-19, 07:59 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Back to a normal day working at the WRC - we'll be missing some volunteers so some things may get backed up, but not too bad, I hope. Gus walk planned also.

Dede, sorry your knees are limiting what you can do. Any cortisone shots possible?

Paula, sorry but mid-30s IS warm here! We normally would be wearing winter coats and three layers of clothing for walks! I'm just in my autumn jacket currently when outside.

Beth, congrats on getting in for the Star Wars movie - I still haven't gone... Glad your ankle is holding up to your workouts. Enjoy your trip to see more family!

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 12-27-19, 05:08 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

We're baaacckkkkkk!!!!!!

We got home yesterday and today was a catch-up day. DH had a chiropractor appointment this morning, which I took him to. He came home with a cold or something and crashed this afternoon. I went to get my haircut ad then ran errands. It was a beautiful day, sunny and in the mid-60s, just a nice day to be out and about.

We saw a lot of family and spent a good time with DH's mom. It was a good time to catch up with the nieces and nephews and their families. Most of the grandnieces and nephews are teenagers or close to it. It doesn't seem possible they are as old as they are. DH and i exchanged gifts. He got the clothes he wanted and I got stuff for videos - lights and a backdrop. I'm looking forward to trying my next video.

When I woke up this morning, I was really glad we went in on the early side with the storm in the western side of the country and coming this way. We had beautiful weather basically the whole time we were gone.

Anita - It sounds like you and Gus had a good time around Christmas. I lost track. Did you ever get to the Star Wars movie? Sometime around New Year, we will rent the Downton Abbey movie on DVD and watch it with my parents. None of us made it to the theatre when it was on.

Dede - I'm sorry that expectations of family take the joy out of the holiday. I hope that you have a good weekend.

Paula - Did you go out to eat for Christmas? Or am I remembering that wrong?. I hope your quiet day was a good one.

Beth - Things would definitely be different with DS transitioning to adulthood. I hope you all are having a good time while he's home.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-19, 09:31 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was a Pahla B. Chair Cardio and Strength followed by Jessica Smith Chair Stretch then my PT routine. Need to do the PT routine again before bed.

Beth, good to see you girl. Sounds like you had a nice Christmas eve with your guys. Going to a movie together sounds like a nice tradition. Nice of you and your sis to make dinner for everyone. At your Mom's house it might be more inconvenient that your own home. Of course if it's the same home you grew up it, maybe it's as familar as your own. Glad your ankle is holding up.

Anita, I know temperature is relative, it's just that I've gotten to be just a panty waist that 30's seem bitter cold to me. I remember growing up in NY when I was right there with you - 30's was warm.

Laura, welcome back! Sorry your DH came home with a cold. I don't know whether it's age or what but it does seem when we travel one of us comes home with a cold. It is great you had the opportunity to catch up with family - that always feels good. Yes, we went out to eat on Christmas Day, it's become a tradition. It was a rainy day here but we still had a nice mellow day.
Old 12-28-19, 09:25 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

I'm planning on trying to get out to walk Gus sometime today - weather is BAAAAD! This morning we had rain come down and freeze, so there's a layer of ice on all sidewalks and roads - yuck! Later we'll be getting a mix of snow and rain - hopefully mostly rain with higher temps this weekend. A little North of the Twin Cities, there'll be about 10" snow... Lots of people are changing their return to home plans after Christmas around this weather - hopefully everyone will make it home safely.

Otherwise I'm putzing around - don't know how much to plan to run errands if the roads are as horrible as presently. Maybe I'll pack away the Christmas tree and inside ornaments.

Laura, glad you're back to the Cronies group! I missed you! Sounds like a wonderful time with family! Did you hear from your family in Japan also? Glad all your gifts seem like they suit you well! I haven't made it out to the Star Wars movie yet - it'll be in theaters for a while yet... The Downton Abbey one is good though - definitely at a higher scale than the TV series as far as scenery and effects. It's definitely got enough little threads left over to make another movie in the future. I do wonder if the movie will ever be shown on TV - only PBS type channels would be interested in promoting it and only regular TV channels run movies like this...

Paula, Our temps have been bouncing around freezing - colder below freezing at night and above freezing during the days. I'm hoping the rain downfall we'll be getting can make it to the street gutters and go down the drains - otherwise the streets would flood with rain turning into ice - not fun. If our drains are frozen or blocked with the current snows, things will back up. I'm glad you're keeping up with your PT exercises. I should get into doing something here at home, but right now inertia is just taking over and I'm not getting on the floor to do any exercises or stretches.

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 12-28-19, 08:16 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Well, DH has had a dud of a birthday, but he seems happy that I declared his official celebration will be held next weekend. He had as decent a day as he could around feeling awful and taking two naps. I cooked him food he liked and had him open his presents.

Anita - I had heard speculation whether there would be another Downton movie. Sounds like there was a reason for that speculation. I hope the weather clears up soon.

Paula - Yeah, it might have to do with age. DH thinks it's because we don't interact with many people throughout the week. I'm just hoping I don't catch it.

I'm going to put some potential themes for the coming week. That way I won't have to think about it tomorrow. Or, anyone else, if I don't get in here.

Crone Cronies - Don't spend New Year's Eve planning what to do New Year's Eve. 12/29
Crone Cronies - New Year's resolutions go in one year and out the other. 12/29
Crone Cronies - Middle age is when you're FORCED to stay up late New Year's Eve 12/29

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-19, 09:25 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Jane Fonda's Start Up followed by the PT routine which I will do again this evening.

We flew today, we choose a distination which took us over the mountains. I always love flying over the mountains but particualary so when they are covered with snow - spectacularly beautiful.

Anita, when we flew to Apple Valley today we had a little ice on the ground. I wasn't paying much attention and almost slipped and fell. The snow has melted and what I thought was a puddle was actually water and ice. If you want to exercise at home and don't want to get down on the floor there are plenty of chair options. I've been exploring them since I hurt my hip and found more than I expected - lots of options. Pahla B has quite a few. Jessica Smith has fewer but I like them better. If you try any let me know what you think.

Laura, sorry your DH had a duh of a birthday. Fingers crossed you don't end up sharing what he has. Now you're home and in comfortable surroundings he will, hopefully, recover quickly. I like all of your suggestions for theme's for next week. The one about being FORCED to stay awake until midnight struck me the most although we don't even try to stay awake until midnight any more. We wait until the ball drops in Times Square - 9:00 pm our time, kiss, make a toast, and go to bed.