Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-19, 07:43 PM  
cecififi

I used to get something similar about 20+ years ago. I soon realized that once I gave up all cow dairy e.g. cream, milk, yoghurt, milk powders, cheese etc. everything cleared up instantly for me. As a result, I switched to goat dairy products and almond milk with no issues ever again. I used to have to take cortisone cream, tar shampoo etc for the skin/scalp rashes i was getting. It seemed worse in the winter. the rashes appeared around my mouth, down the side of my face and near my eyebrows. It was irritating. Nothing helped but getting off dairy completely. Not sure it was the same as what you have but it was red, bumpy, scaly dry patches. Cream, oil etc did not help. I wish you an effective solution.
cecififi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-19, 08:06 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecififi View Post
I used to get something similar about 20+ years ago. I soon realized that once I gave up all cow dairy e.g. cream, milk, yoghurt, milk powders, cheese etc. everything cleared up instantly for me. As a result, I switched to goat dairy products and almond milk with no issues ever again. I used to have to take cortisone cream, tar shampoo etc for the skin/scalp rashes i was getting. It seemed worse in the winter. the rashes appeared around my mouth, down the side of my face and near my eyebrows. It was irritating. Nothing helped but getting off dairy completely. Not sure it was the same as what you have but it was red, bumpy, scaly dry patches. Cream, oil etc did not help. I wish you an effective solution.
wow. that is some reaction. I don't think i'd want to leave the house.

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-19, 09:17 PM  
ncl

I have not had perioral dermatitis but lifelong dermatitis on my hands which resolved 100% when I removed gluten from my diet and it has not returned (I have stayed off of gluten). My derm said this is not uncommon. Don't know if that's helpful, but food sensitivities do cause problems for some. My PT says if he eats dairy he has skin stuff too.
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-19, 12:14 PM  
Taiga

If you have perioral dermatitis and rosacea, please research demodex mites and Soolontra. And I agree that diet plays a huge part! Modern "foods" can contribute to the overgrowth of bad skin/gut flora and the suppression of the immune system. Best wishes for healing
Old 11-26-19, 07:25 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I am wondering if this is what I have. I have an eczema type rash around my mouth that just started a few days ago. It started with a little patch on my left side and today I also have a large patch on the right side. I was just wondering what was going on because I usually don't get dry skin on my face. A few hours ago I put some OTC hydrocortisone on it but now I think it might be this perioral dermatitis instead of eczema. I used to get hand eczema every winter.

If it doesn't clear up by this weekend, I will go see the doctor.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-19, 07:53 PM  
pgun3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
I am wondering if this is what I have. I have an eczema type rash around my mouth that just started a few days ago. It started with a little patch on my left side and today I also have a large patch on the right side. I was just wondering what was going on because I usually don't get dry skin on my face. A few hours ago I put some OTC hydrocortisone on it but now I think it might be this perioral dermatitis instead of eczema. I used to get hand eczema every winter.

it may very well be perioral...I would get this. On me it looked like tiny little blisters that would dry out and then come back. It never went away for me until I took the antibiotics. I never figured out why I got it. I had it a few times and now I haven't had it for years. Hopefully I didn't just jinx myself LOL
pgun3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-19, 12:19 AM  
suzannaerin

Quote:

That’s exactly how mine started. The sooner you get on an antibiotic the better. Mine spread to the top of my mouth and recovery is painful and not so pretty.

By the way, hydrocortisone is the worst thing you can put on it, according to the PA who correctly diagnosed me. I recommend not putting anything on it until you get some guidance from a medical professional. Aquaphor made mine worse.
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-19, 10:55 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Suzanne, thanks.
I only used the hydrocortisone once yesterday then stopped after reading this thread. I tell you VF is a wealth of information! I so appreciate everyone here. Do you think I can get treated by my PCP? I think it will take awhile to get an appointment with the dermatologist I see although maybe I can get in with one of their PAs.
Leslie
Old 11-27-19, 11:07 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzannaerin View Post
After almost six weeks of suffering and two misdiagnoses (including the dreaded HSV-1), the PA whom I saw this morning diagnosed me with perioral dermatitis. Due to the popularity of cosmetic treatments, the earliest I can see a dermatologist for a bona fide medical condition and treatment is mid-December.
Has anyone had this? If so, what skin care regimens have helped? I'm starting a course of antibiotics; swapping out for non-fluoride toothpaste; switching to mineral sunscreen; and looking for the best facial moisturizers and soap for highly sensitive skin.
I have run into this phenomenon in the past. I get it. It's easy money for the doctors and they don't have to deal with insurance but they are DOCTORS. I think either specialize in cosmetics and leave the bona fide medical stuff to others or just don't do cosmetic procedures or at least give medical patients priority.
I just called my PCP and my dermatologist for an appointment but nothing this week or next. I have to call first thing Monday to see if there are any cancellations. I might just go to urgent care.
I have been just washing with my normal gentle cleanser (paula's choice) and putting on some moisturizer (also PC) but I never leave the house without sunscreen (also PC- no fragrance, physical sunscreen, no chemicals) Is that OK or is the zinc and titanium dioxide bad? I also have chemical sunscreen that I sometimes use on my body. I wonder if that is better?
Old 11-27-19, 12:00 PM  
suzannaerin

Quote:
I have run into this phenomenon in the past. I get it. It's easy money for the doctors and they don't have to deal with insurance but they are DOCTORS. I think either specialize in cosmetics and leave the bona fide medical stuff to others or just don't do cosmetic procedures or at least give medical patients priority.
I just called my PCP and my dermatologist for an appointment but nothing this week or next. I have to call first thing Monday to see if there are any cancellations. I might just go to urgent care.
I have been just washing with my normal gentle cleanser (paula's choice) and putting on some moisturizer (also PC) but I never leave the house without sunscreen (also PC- no fragrance, physical sunscreen, no chemicals) Is that OK or is the zinc and titanium dioxide bad? I also have chemical sunscreen that I sometimes use on my body. I wonder if that is better?
The RA/LPN who diagnosed me correctly told me that mineral sunscreen would be ok (I had been using the chemical kind), but I'm going to wait to see my dermatologist in mid December before trying it. I don't want to do anything to make it flare up or get worse. I'll wear hats when I'm outside. I'm taking Pam's advice and washing my face with a super soft microfiber washcloth---very gently, patting only---and plain water.
I highly recommend that you mention POD to them---THREE LPNs/PAs misdiagnosed me before I was lucky enough to find someone who recognized it and got me on the right track.
The doc at the urgent care can get you on the doxycycline, that's the most important thing.
After 2 days of doxycycline, bare skin, new toothpaste, and water-only face washing, the redness is significantly reduced. Unfortunately, my lips/skin are draining and the dried pus flakes. It's pretty uncomfortable (looks lovely too, haha), eating is no fun, and I'm avoiding all acidic food and am drinking w/a straw.
I hope you caught it in the bud before it gets bad. It's miserable. Mine went untreated for five weeks, so it had time to flare, especially since what I was doing to help it actually made it worse.
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote