Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-13-19, 03:36 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

I don't get many DOMS anymore

Hi all,

What are your thoughts about DOMS?

I have been switching up my workouts a lot, trying to do different things, keep my body "guessing". But I notice that even when I do a tough Cathe workout or lift heavy, or do something different, I'm not getting the major muscle soreness I have in the past.

I've been working out a LONG time! This lack of DOMS has been going on for a while but I have been doing workouts that used to make me really sore.

Some things that have changed:
I'm fasting daily.
I've lost about 20lbs recently.

So.....just my body saying it's ok? Or do I need to challenge myself with heavier weights, more reps, etc?

Or do I just not have to worry about it and be glad I can sit down on the toilet in relative comfort after a heavy Leg Day? ;-)

Thanks for your input. I love a good discussion.

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-19, 03:58 PM  
wendug

Hi Kate! It's interesting that you bring this up because I haven't been experiencing doms much lately. I've been mixing things up with types if workouts I do. I haven't been lifting really heavy much and decided to break out Chalean Extreme. I did a full rotation of CLX in early 2018 and I had terrible doms. The workouts I've done recently I've lifted heavier than initially with the program and have had no soreness. I'm thinking that I'm in better shape than before when I had doms. I suppose I could lift heavier, but I'm going to need to work on my grip strength before that happens.

And congrats on the weight loss! Fasting doesn't work for me as I end up feeling dizzy and light headed.
Old 11-13-19, 04:03 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

I agree with your own post.
That is a good thing. You don’t measure if an exercise is “working” by getting DOMS.

Was your goal to lose weight? What ever you are doing your body said, okay.

DOMS damages your body

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-19, 04:34 PM  
Lannette

Fasting decreases inflammation levels. I used it with great success after being injured. I continue to use it and have noticed faster recovery. Maybe that’s part of it?

Less body weight = less weight bearing joint impact. Maybe that’s part of it?

Whatever it is I don’t see it as a bad thing!

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-19, 06:15 PM  
IceQueen07

I have also noticed that with intermittent fasting which I have been doing for the past year I don't get DOMS at all anymore. At first it bothered me, now I am kinda glad.

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-19, 07:06 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I’m another who rarely gets DOMS now that I think of it. I’ve been dabbling in kettlebells lately and fully expected some, but so far none. I’ve been consistently intermittent fasting for quite a while. I also feel my joint pain, especially in my knees, has lessened a bit.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-19, 07:34 PM  
cecififi

I wasn't getting DOMS either until I switched up my workouts. In the last few weeks I've been doing a Millionaire Hoy program and I am sore the day after - over and over again. I have to take more rest days as a result because I don't recover as well at my age (53).
cecififi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-19, 07:47 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

I think based on a book recommendation you made, that you also made certain changes to your diet beyond fasting (I'm assuming), and I believe I've heard other people talking about not experiencing DOMs anymore after going to that way of eating. Just a thought.

(and as a funny coincidence, I had a kindle credit that was about to expire and was going to buy the book you recommended but I did things too fast and bought the wrong book! Fortunately by buying that book, I got a new credit and can buy the correct one for a discounted price still )
Old 11-14-19, 12:59 AM  
Taiga

I've been fasting since I was a kid (part of our family's religious practices). With that experience, I knew that fasting under the right circumstances definitely promotes faster healing and I applied that to training/exercise as an adult. I plan it around all my weight lifting programs and I never have to worry about DOMs.

Sure fire way to get DOMS: over-eating, high inflammatory foods like sugar/refined carbs/processed foods/alcohol.

Keeping my diet high in quality protein/veges/fats reduces DOMs greatly. But if I'm conquering a really tough program, fasting is the only way to ensure I won't be sore.

And for me, it isn't about carrying less weight that reduces pain. Even when my weight is steady, it's all about inflammation and how fast I can heal. I've never found anything that can outperform fasting.

I feel like this topic addresses post workout techniques (much like having protein drinks etc) and therefore should be permissible under VF guidelines. It really is a discussion about how best to heal from exercise.
Old 11-14-19, 07:41 AM  
Rhonda

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
I think based on a book recommendation you made, that you also made certain changes to your diet beyond fasting (I'm assuming), and I believe I've heard other people talking about not experiencing DOMs anymore after going to that way of eating. Just a thought.

(and as a funny coincidence, I had a kindle credit that was about to expire and was going to buy the book you recommended but I did things too fast and bought the wrong book! Fortunately by buying that book, I got a new credit and can buy the correct one for a discounted price still )
HI Bee, what is the name of the book? I don't want to discuss just curious on the name as I may have to look into it.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
doms