Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-19, 11:04 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Physical adjustments like that are unacceptable IMO! I would be tempted to talk to the studio manager. If you plan to return to that instructor’s class, I’d tell her very clearly that you need to modify & you don’t want any physical adjustments.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-19, 11:49 AM  
Shelbygirl

I would absolutely tell a manager at the gym what happened. That instructor is a law suit waiting to happen.

Is there another class you could go to with a different instructor? Or a different studio/gym?

And, wherever you choose to go, I would talk to the instructor and let him/her know you need to modify. They have no business literally forcing you to do anything. They should actually encourage you to modify as needed.

Shelbygirl
Shelbygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-19, 12:17 PM  
Karla25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
I think you should talk to the instructor, tell her you need to modify - and to stay away from you. I think the manager should also know about this harmful instructor. Even though you probably signed a waiver, the club is still responsible for your safety. You didn’t injure yourself she injured you.
This is excellent advice from Joni. You will help the instructor become a better teacher and management should revise their policy about teacher/student interaction. They might not even have a policy. I wouldn’t want anyone touching me during a workout without consulting me first.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I’ve learned a lesson. If I take a live class, I will ask the instructor beforehand not to make any adjustments -verbal suggestions only. I’m also easily injured and it takes me a long time to recover. Prayers for you to have a speedy recovery.
Old 10-29-19, 09:53 PM  
hypnomoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
I think you should talk to the instructor, tell her you need to modify - and to stay away from you. I think the manager should also know about this harmful instructor. Even though you probably signed a waiver, the club is still responsible for your safety. You didn’t injure yourself she injured you.

Exactly!! If this instructor touched you without asking permission first, it's in violation of any ethical certification. This instructor could hurt someone else and the management would want to know about this. Create a 'paper trail' for yourself too. Even if you signed a waiver, this is a serious matter.
hypnomoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-19, 10:51 PM  
Sand

I wouldn't hesitate to bring it up to the manager, especially since The Bar Method often prides themselves about as being the safest barre workout available.

When I'm going through health setbacks, my main go to workout are the first Bar Method DVDs: Designer Sculpting and Fat Free because Burr talks you through each movement.

https://barmethod.com/faq/

How is The Bar Method different from other barre workouts?

The Bar Method is unique to other barre classes for one reason, it is truly a method. It was created under the guidance of physical therapists to ensure it is safe and effective for students spanning a wide range of abilities including those with physical limitations and injuries. Unlike other barre workouts, our instructors undergo a lengthy rigorous training that includes lessons of anatomy and hands-on adjustments. Annual certification exams ensure the highest standards are upheld across the entire teaching community. Our students receive personalized adjustments, modifications and encouragement to get the most out of every workout. It’s a workout that is safe and sustainable for life!
Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-19, 01:35 AM  
Betty Boop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannette View Post

No instructor should touch a client without asking for permission!
Yes! Thank you!
Old 10-30-19, 09:27 AM  
Exercise Diva

I would definitely report the incident to the manager.
Exercise Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-19, 01:09 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

bfit, please tell us what happens. I know it feels awkward calling someone out, but I think it's necessary in this case for the reasons people mentioned.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-19, 02:50 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I am not surprised by this at all. Instructors touch you all the time in barre. It is not unusual and, IMO, making those kind of adjustments is why you come to class. I'm not sure it's realistic to expect instructors to ask for permission for every hands-on adjustment. (ducking for cover)

That said, I would absolutely tell them you have injured your foot and that you are not going to go into high releve anymore. I also injured myself when I was going to Bar Method regularly, and they were very good about it. They helped me determine appropriate modifications and limits for myself. I ended up putting a hold on my membership for a few months. I'm not saying it was the result of TBM's instruction, I think my injury had been brewing for a while and I wasn't listening to my body as I ought to have done. I had warning signs for months and was not heeding them.

I would also go for an x-ray to see what's going on. Bar moves are absolutely still effective done flat-footed or in low-heel position. I don't go high anymore because I have a bunion on my right foot. If an instructor tries to get me into a position that doesn't work for me, I just shake my head and they back off.

As a brand, Bar Method really pushes its clients. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. It sounds like this time was very much the latter! I'm sorry to hear you are hurt. I hope it heals quickly!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-19, 03:48 PM  
Dabbadooey

In the yoga classes I teach, I announce before class that I do make adjustments. I then say if anyone prefers not to be adjusted to let me know when I approach.
Dabbadooey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bar method