Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 10-16-19, 05:57 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Wegmans recently opened their first store in NC in Raleigh. We waited about 3 weeks and went with Mom and Dad today to check it out. I remembered why I loved it in the DC area. For us, it's like the Promised Land for gluten-free food. Other grocery stores have things, sometimes 1-2 things Wegmans doesn't have, but Wegmans has so much that no one else does and what does overlap is often cheaper at Wegmans than at our major "normal" grocery store, Harris Teeter. It was a fun field trip.

Other than that, yesterday and today I have caught up on a lot of things for the trip and on my website and just normal stuff around the house.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-19, 08:16 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Got home early this afternoon. My only workout for the past three days was moving pretzels and hummus to my mouth with intermittent wine. Had a six hour drive home in heavy traffic, so I'm tired. will write more tomorrow.

Beth, Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving.

Mary, my heart goes out to you for the heartache you're going through. It must be hard to stay in the same general area. Best to just say to the waitress - "don't want to know", (with a smile, of course). Hugs. Know, if he's feeling the need to re-write history, he feels quilty - tells you he knows the truth.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-19, 08:28 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Still putzing around here today - I did find compression socks at REI yesterday that look a bit more wearable than those intended for grandmas . I did get my couch cleaned and conditioned in the leather last night, not that that makes much difference to the aged couch. Got laundry going this morning. Today is a nice day outside so will be putzing around outside more. Gus walk definitely planned .

Laura, I had a Wegmans when I lived in Champaign, IL for grad school - I liked the place. Glad it accommodates your and DH's dietary needs. None here in MN. I hit a HyVee after finishing my doc appointment Tuesday - also lots of dietary specialties accommodated there.

Welcome back, Paula! As long as you kept the reps about the same on the left and right hands, you did fine for three days . Can't say I do pretzels and hummus though - I'm more a potato chips and sour cream or corn chips and salsa or guac type person - need to quit doing that at home though! Good advice to Mary about that waitress - turn her off with a smile!

Waves to all!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-19, 08:28 AM  
boakley
VF Supporter

Hi All! Thanks for the theme We had a busy but nice Thanksgiving. We hosted DH's family and had a delicious meal and some laughs. It was nice to have DS home as well. My sister hosted my parents and invited us as well, but we had already committed to making dinner for my inlaws.

I'm continuing to work on recovering and getting back to running but had a setback Sunday morning when I tried to go for my walk/run. My right calf was a bit tight so I worked out the knot in my warm up before venturing outside, but it came right back as soon as I started to run so I quit and walked home. I'm taking this as a positive because I may have tried to run through this previously I believe it's a mild calf strain, so I'm back to using the bike for cardio and using self massage, etc. as well as strength work that doesn't annoy it.

Mary, I'm so sorry for your heartbreak and having to relive those feelings. (((HUGS))) As Paula said, if he's lying it's because he feels guilty and ashamed. I hear from Lexy once in a while via a FB comment, but that is all. I'm hoping she'll start stopping by here more often soon, but who am I to say that with my sporadic posting!

Paula - glad you had fun with your friends. The pretzel/hummus/wine workout sounds like something that could really catch on

Laura - Glad you've got your favourite store close by again! You are cruising on the website stuff!

Anita - glad the check-up went well. I think you need a place later on that takes pets cuz I can't picture you without a dog

Back to work! Waves and good vibes to all!

Beth

Tom Petty
boakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-19, 10:43 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

For breakfast, I had a good soft bagel... and it pulled off my front crown. I made an appointment with a new dentist because (a) my dentist always seems to be closed (including today) and (b) she totally screwed up DH's crown this spring and it took 6 months to get it fixed - not much trust there. I'm hoping the new dentist I scheduled with will be better. Ugh.

I've been focused this week on getting stuff done that has been ignored and starting to get ready for vacation (a week from tomorrow, baby!) I'm doing website stuff around all that.

Beth - Good job on stopping to accommodate the limitation of your body. I hope you can get over the strain quickly. I'm glad you had a good holiday with DH's family and had DS home. It's ironic you said, "You are cruising on the website stuff." Yes, I am - while I'm getting ready to leave on a cruise next week.

Anita - It's good you found compression socks that work for you. You're getting a lot of "little things" done this week.

Paula - Welcome back. They say you should diversify your exercise, so good job getting in a new type of exercise.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 10-17-19, 06:34 PM  
Tiny

Greetings!

I’ve been WAH these past three days and have adapted to being disconnected on my remote access, heehee. The network guy told me to bring it in tomorrow (office day for me) and he may just re-image it. I told him I’m adapting so all is ok. We are also migrating to Microsoft outlook for email - WOW I know. We currently use lotus notes which Laura is familiar with. I’ve always worked in outlook until I went to the Feds.

The ex’s birthday is Saturday, I plan on hanging out with the same friend I met last Saturday - just to get out and about and be with people. Oh, we’ll be in the 80’s the next few days lows in the 50’s. Yay!

Beth~I’m so happy you had a nice Thanksgiving! Great job stopping ya walk and listening to your body. As we get older I think we need to be more mindful of that. I certainly have been and love doing my yoga/Pilates/Pahla B

Laura~you have been getting a lot done! Are ya folks going on the cruise too? What’s a soft bagel? A bagel not toasted? Oh yes, I remember you used to shop at a wegmans and you were waiting for one to open up where you are now. What a fun trip!

Paula~oh I love me some sodium and dip - pretzels/hummus, potato chips/dip, tostados/salsa sign me up for it all except make my drink a bourbon please. I think you needed that trip just to relax and unwind. I’m happy you are home safe? How did DH make out while you were away? I think I will tell her that if I ever go in to eat. If I crave that pizza may just order it to go as they have a separate area for that.

Anita~at least buy ya self a new couch when you move into a co op. Glad you found ya compression socks at REI. How cute if they made some Halloween themed ones!

Talk soon!

H.O.P.E.=Hold On Pain Ends
D.I.E.T.=Did I Eat That

"If I fall, I will get back up. If I am beaten, I will return."
"Strong is what happens when you run out of weak."
"As the New Year dawns we look back on a year of upheaval through the world and through our lives as well. Life is difficult. For those of us raised with the illusion that if we go to school, work hard, all will be well, that illusion dies hard."
Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-19, 08:19 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Jessica Smith's Fall Into Fitness Day 4, then Yoga With Adriene, Yoga for Writers.

Anita, Yup I was able to keep the reps equal on both sides. Good job on getting the couch conditioned.

Beth, glad you had a pleasant Thanksgiving. Good job on listening to your body and babying the calf. It's the sign of our age that we've "matured" enough to actually listen to our body rather than just give it lip service.

Laura, I avoid all sticky food because I have so many crowns. I've pulled off a crown in the past and didn't enjoy the experience. I didn't remember you were going on a cruise soon - where are you going? Yay on finding a grocery market where you have a decent selection of GF items.

Mary, Yup - sodium, dip, and alcohol go together really well. Don't hide at home when you want pizza. Repeat after me "living well is the best revenge". Don't hide, go to your favorite pizza place and politely tell the waitress you aren't interested in when your ex was in, who he was with, and what he ate. Go with friends, have a good time, and keep your head up. Hugs.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-19, 07:20 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on working at the WRC this morning. Then likely working on some yard stuff and getting Gus out for his walk. I've got a carload of garden stuff to take to the compost site.

Yesterday was an interesting day - got laundry done, got a roast cooked in the crock pot (Gus kept walking into the kitchen and sniffing the air ), went for a walk with Gus at the park, and got one garden bed stripped down to ground (its where I need to dump winter snow when I plow my driveway). Our walk at the park was interesting yesterday - found 6 snakes along the path warming themselves on the pavement - not in a group but individually over 4 miles. One was a garter snake, three were black (unknown species) and two were brown (unknown species). The black and brown ones looked like hatchlings in that they were only about 6" long and as thick as a pencil. Gus didn't have any interest in them even if he saw them moving. I assume they must eat bugs in that they were way too small to handle a mouse. It was an interesting walk . I clean snake pens at WRC when we have them, but they are transferred to another pen by staff before I get the empty cage to clean.

Beth, happy you had a great Thanksgiving! Sorry you had some calf cramps - those really suck .

Laura, oh no for pulling off a crown! Yeah, definitely use a different dentist after that previous failure with DH's crown. Where you going for vacation? The compression socks take a workout to get on and off .

Mary, good luck getting those connectivity issues resolved. I used to have Lotus mail and used their databases for all my paperwork reviews/assessment - when they tried changing to a Microsoft product was when I wanted out of there! Didn't mind mail through MS, but didn't want to transfer 19 years of work assessments to a new database and not have it be as searchable as before... Yup, that's about the timing for new couch that i'm looking at. no compression socks with a Halloween theme though . I'm just glad there were some beyond black, grey and navy plain socks...

Paula, yeah on keeping your mouth and hands coordinated .

Waves to all!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-19, 03:29 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I feel like I've done nothing but deal with problems today. My crown came off again last night and I could not get it to stay on today. Turns out, he used temporary cement in an effort to save the crown to use as a temporary one because it matches my teeth so well. But, it didn't hold. So, they put it in this afternoon with permanent cement and they'll do something else next week.

I haven't used my Kindle in quite a while because I've been reading books electronically on my phone when I'm out and about. But, I want to take it on the cruise, so I got it out and found it's dead as a doornail. I contacted Amazon and apparently there's no way to resurrect it, so I spent a lot of time negotiating a credit from them for a new one.

We'll be flying to Fort Lauderdale next Friday and spending a couple of days in the area before going to Miami to catch a cruise to the Caribbean and into the Panama Canal. The cruise is 12 days and we'll be gone 15 days. Yay. We weren't sure DH was going to be up to it, but it looks like he will be. I talked about it back when we booked it, but that was months ago. Now, it's almost here!

Anita - I'm getting this fun mental image of Gus walking around sniffing the air... I know some people who would have not only never walked that snake path again, but they would have moved to another state!

Paula - I've had this crown for 13 years, probably more, right in the front and it never gave me a problem before 1.5 years ago. Guess I got lucky. The guy who did it specialized in crowns and always did really good work. This is the cruise where one of the stops is in Cartegena. I booked 3 excursions the other day - a catamaran ride to the Old Town in Cartegena and then a walking tour; a tour of Mayan ruins in Costa Maya, Mexico; and a boat ride up a canal to see wildlife in Costa Rica. I'm really looking forward to this trip.

Mary - It's sad when you get so used to technical issues that it's not a big deal. I'm amazed you remember I trained Lotus Notes. I always hated Lotus Notes and have used Outlook for most of my career. I hope it's a good switch for you. By soft bagel, I meant I just heated it in the oven without toasting it. I would have been better off toasting it...

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 10-18-19, 08:47 PM  
Tiny

Greetings!

I’m heading to Prescott tomorrow with my friend from work. I’ll get to, hopefully, see some fall colors! We’ll grab some lunch and do some antiquing.

Anita~that is interesting that you saw so many snakes. Oh I can’t imagine having to migrate 19 years of mail. Thankfully mine is only 3 years worth of mail but I deleted a lot of stuff.

Laura~I got a good laugh out of moving to another state because of the snake path, I can’t stop laughing. Wow, 13 years for a crown is pretty darn good! It’s still a pain to have to deal with it though, I’m sorry. Cartegena-isn’t that where Romancing the Stone was set in for part of the movie? That’s about all I know of Cartegena, but it certainly sounds like a wonderful trip! I wonder how ya Kindle just died like that? Oh the bagel! Is that what you call it because I started doing that and just melting some cheese on top-it’s delicious.

Paula~you right. I shouldn’t have to continue to compromise on places that are my favorite spots. There’s a wonderful Christian song that have the words “look up child”. I keep repeating those lyrics to myself when I feel my heart retreating and my head drooping.

Talk soon! I’m very grateful for you ladies! ❤️

H.O.P.E.=Hold On Pain Ends
D.I.E.T.=Did I Eat That

"If I fall, I will get back up. If I am beaten, I will return."
"Strong is what happens when you run out of weak."
"As the New Year dawns we look back on a year of upheaval through the world and through our lives as well. Life is difficult. For those of us raised with the illusion that if we go to school, work hard, all will be well, that illusion dies hard."
Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote