Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 08-16-19, 10:07 AM  
boakley
VF Supporter

Hi All - I've been getting my house in order so to speak LOL - cleaning out cupboards, making meditation a daily priority, clearing the air and rekindling a relationship with my sister, etc. Oh and I've been exercising too - Cardio Coach Vol 4 and Vol 1 so far this week on the stationary bike, some walks - nothing too strenuous on my ankle, some seated upper body weights, floorwork, and yoga. I've also been getting some things ordered and together for DS's dorm room. My FIL had some good news from his latest PET scan - the cancer hasn't spread anywhere else. His radiation treatments start next week. They have stressed with him that this isn't cure, but will hopefully provide pain relief and better quality of life for whatever time he has left.

Laura, I like the Excel video - you are my kind of trainer and have a similar approach to my own I'll make a couple different comments aside from the camera angle One is really simple and just cleans up the screen a bit - close some of the open programs if you can to minimize the icons on the taskbar. Most people won't notice it, but some will. Also, I'm not sure if you use a script? I have found it very helpful in the past to do up a script for each module, even if I don't follow it exactly. It helps the flow and smoothness. It does add a chunk of time to the project though - I spend more time on the script than the actual videos when I do them.

Mary, it's so good to see you! YWA is my go to for YT yoga too. I did a stress and anxiety relief practice with her yesterday and have done a couple of her meditations too. I have a feeling the heat we have in summer is close to your fall/winter temps - stay cool! I work from home 2 days per week now and love it! I think you will find things to do and people to do them with when you're ready. If you are like me, you may have to force yourself to just get out and do something on your own too

Anita, what a PITA! Glad you got it done, but sorry for the extra long time required. Enjoy the turtles today - that sounds so cool!

Paula - My DH would be losing his s#!t in the situation you're having with the plane. It's unfortunate that companies do this - I always think they must want bad reviews and no repeat business? It doesn't make sense. I hope it doesn't take much longer!

Dede - Hi!

OK - back to work for me. I have a 4 day weekend ahead - Monday is my EDO and Tuesday is a vacation day. It will help DH to have the company Waves to all!

Beth

Tom Petty
boakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-19, 04:49 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Hi. Happy Friday! I hope everyone is having a good day. It has been a busy day, but what's new with that? I slept from 10:30 - 6:00 without waking up at all and I have had a lot of energy today. I went to the YMCA on the earlier side and did my seated elliptical for 30 minutes. Came home and got a shower and then went to lunch with DH and Mom and Dad. It was a nice time. This afternoon, I went to the library and got a library card. Yay! I moved here to NC with so many books and I finally have read enough of the fiction books that I'm running out. I got my card and checked out three books.

Beth - Thanks for the feedback. You hit on a couple of things that I hadn't heard or thought of. I'll change up the task bar some to display less icons. It would be worth it if it's not distracting to whatever percentage of the population who notices. I was working not from a script, but from the flow in the help file I created to go with the video. I think I'll stick with that and see if my delivery gets any smoother with time. Or, I may make an outline from the file. One thing I know from classes, I do NOT follow materials well. I get it in my mind and just go. I'll need to play with what that all means with videos.

Anita - Yeah, that retirement rhythm is easy to fall into. I'm glad you are so enjoying your post-work life. How is the ankle now? I hope that it is easily fixed.

Mary - Ugh. I hope that you all have an early fall. It's nice you can work form home and stay out of the heat some days. There's nothing wrong with going into the office and seeing people, but sometimes you just want to hunker down. It's nice you can do some of both each day. Let me know if you have any questions about Excel you would like me to cover...

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-19, 10:28 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Rael Pilates System 17 followed by YWA Detox Flow.

Sorry I didn't post yesterday.

Big news, we got the plane back today, late in the afternoon! They must have realised DH was about to blow and finished it up. He flew it with the technician guy and seemed happy with the installations. Tomorrow he'll fly it with a friend and try out all the new stuff. He's happy and I'll be happy to have a day on my own.

Laura, yeah, me too, don't know how it happened but yesterday got away from me and I didn't think to check in. Sounds like you have good ideas to change your videos. Enjoy your new library card.

Anita, Glad you're enjoying retirement. Gus is probably enjoying having you home more too. I feel sorry for the DMV staff too since the Real ID does take longer.

Mary, I rarely worked from home - it wasn't a "thing" when I was still working. Still the office environment has something to offer - interpersonal relationships, fast response to issues, and generally the motivation to get up and get dressed and get moving. Maybe my speculations are out of date, I don't know.

Beth, if there's one good thing to say about not having the plane for seven weeks is we've really gottn our house in order. We've purged, cleaned, and organized cupboards and closets. Maybe this delay was a good thing because things got done that would not have otherwise.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-19, 07:44 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Today is the day I will work on setting up the office for filming. DH has some routine tasks he wants to do as well like changing air filters. I'll go to church this evening and pick up a friend on the way. She lives near me and the family that picks her up for church is out of town this weekend.

Paula - YAY! Finally. I guess they DID care about your business. It sounds like your DH was expressive enough to get their attention. Enjoy planning your trips. Where are you going?

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-19, 08:04 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on working at the circus today, then taking Gus for a quick walk and going to a wedding shower this afternoon. For the first time, I saw some hummingbirds at my hanging baskets on my porch - I think they are starting to migrate south a bit.

Beth, nice goals to work on! I'm hoping your son does the dorms fairly straightforward - I've seen people now build new bunks in the dorms and bring sofas, stereos with speakers, etc. pretty much an entire truckfull of supplies . I remember friends driving me to the campus on the freshman year - just one suitcase. Unfortunately, my dad had a heart attack the week I was to go to campus 80 miles away, so others brought me there. Hope FIL gets some relief! Nice you're able to get some workouts in without further harming the ankle.

Laura, I'm enjoying using my library - I do lots of videos through them, as well as books - luckily we have a huge network so I can pretty much pick out anything and have it sent to my local library. My ankle is still red a bit, but its fading - hope something is still there Monday when I go back to a doctor or I'll cancel.

Paula, yay on getting the plane finished and returned! Glad your DH is taking some test flights before heading out for a longer trip with you. I don't think Gus could handle me being gone from the house for work for 9+ hours these days - he complains if I'm gone over 5 hours . I never worked from home as there's just too many distractions to get things done efficiently - I liked going in to work and enjoying freedom at home. I made sure my desk computer was one that didn't travel with me even to other meetings in my building .

Waves to all!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-19, 08:02 PM  
Tiny

Greetings!

I met my old boss from County for lunch today. She looked so good and is doing a lot of traveling. We had a lot to catch up on and it was so good to see and talk to her.

I also went toTrader Joe’s this morning. The 2 weeks I was off I went on a Thursday, it was good to get back into my normal routine today. I was able to touch base with a couple of workers that I always see (been going there every Saturday for about 4-5 years now. I’m such a creature of habit. Lol

Other than that i’ve been catching up on a couple of Netflix shows and reading. The ex reached out yesterday evening, I kept it very brief. I do fine when I don’t hear from him and then when I do, I get emotional. I’m not to the point of blocking his number because I know he did what he thought was best for him, he just doesn’t get the hurt and betrayal I am feeling.

Laura~we’ve been having a pretty mild summer until a few weeks ago - getting temps over 110. We’ll be getting fall temps the first of November. It’s weird how after Halloween the temps drop.

Beth~yes, meditation has been helping me too. The Mindful Movement uploaded a “I Am Enough” meditation on YouTube and it was exactly what I needed. I think I’ll have to start doing it 2-3 times a week.

Paula~I would have never thought I’d be the type of person who could work from home. The job that I have though is strictly computer work (criminal history checks) and our agency has gone paperless so there really is no need for me to be in the office. I even asked to be a permanent teleworker in NOLA doing my same job but was denied. Which is why I am still in AZ. Woohoo on getting the plane back! Y’all be safe!

Anita~you reminded me to update my DL address, did that online for $12 yesterday. It’s odd how they now mail you your license instead of you walking out of there with it. Things have certainly changed and just keep on changing.

I had to order checks since I opened a new checking account and do you know that they now mail checks with the box flat that you have to put together and no checkbook holder thing? I’m like, where am I supposed to put my checks? I’m done with 2019 and all it’s changes.

With all my grunting and groaning of all the changes this year, I am truly grateful that I have you girls and my friends at work and home for such great support!

H.O.P.E.=Hold On Pain Ends
D.I.E.T.=Did I Eat That

"If I fall, I will get back up. If I am beaten, I will return."
"Strong is what happens when you run out of weak."
"As the New Year dawns we look back on a year of upheaval through the world and through our lives as well. Life is difficult. For those of us raised with the illusion that if we go to school, work hard, all will be well, that illusion dies hard."
Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-19, 08:19 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was a neighborhood walk with DH then some yin yoga with Kassandra.

DH and a friend spent the day flying the plane and learning the new equipment. He won't take me flying until he feels comfortable with the new stuff. We're - DH, a friend, and me - are planning to fly together on Monday. If all goes well, we'll start planning some overnighters. Of course I am going back to NC the last week of this month to see family.

Laura, are you having fun setting up a filming location in your home. Sounds like a kick to me.

Anita, yay for hummingbirds, I enjoy them in my garden. I liked going in to work also, for the same reasons. Enjoy your library - I love the one near me. I don't understand the people who say libraries are no longer needed.

Mary, I am a creature of habit also because I go to Trader Joes' every Sunday morning and the employees know me too. Your ex doesn't understand your hurt and betrayal? Well I wonder how he would have felt if the situation were reversed? Yeah, he did what was best for him with no thought for it's impact on you so now he's surprised you're hurt? What, exactly, does that say about him?
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote