Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-19, 04:55 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Another person who prefers steady state cardio over HIIT. I haven't done HIIT much but I know it's not for me, anything high impact jars my back. Walking and low impact step are my favorites for cardio.

I don't want to do any exercise that is going to hurt me down the road. And when it comes down to weight loss it's about what you eat. I lost a bit of weight a few years back and my exercise was minimal because I was busy with work and school, it was all watching my intake. Lately the pounds have crept back on and I have not been as diligent with my intake.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-19, 08:54 AM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethlakey View Post
I've been doing the Lauren Gleisberg confidencekini challenge. These workouts range around 30ish minutes and are mostly strength workouts done in circuits with short bursts of HiiT sprinkled in here and there, I guess to keep the heart rate up. They are easily modified. I hate HiiT and these don't bother me that much.
I've had a similar experience with LIIFT4 (BeachBody On Demand). The HIIT is either sprinkled throughout, or is a short section after the lifting, and isn't enough to make me miserable (except for an all-HIIT workout once every other week, which I did the first time I went through the rotation, but now I sub other cardio).

But I agree with the others that steady-state cardio is effective, and in fact I do better with weight loss when I do longer (and necessarily less intense) workouts.

(ETA: Oh, but I also don't hate Jessica's HIIT walks. The high intensity isn't so high in those.)

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy

Last edited by laurajhawk; 05-07-19 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Jessica
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-19, 09:52 AM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
(ETA: Oh, but I also don't hate Jessica's HIIT walks. The high intensity isn't so high in those.)
Those are great, actually, and I do even do interval running, but since I can control the speed and impact of my own running and avoid jumping or getting my HR too high, it still doesn't feel as jarring to me.
Old 05-14-19, 10:18 PM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla25 View Post
I don’t do workouts that I dread. I want to enjoy what’s left of my life. I workout about 1-3 hours most days. I’m about 15lbs overweight and old. I used to be a size 6 now am a size 10. I felt totally embarrassed the other day when I found myself eagerly rushing to the size L clothing sale rack. However, I’ve come to realize that all the things that I thought were so important when I was young aren’t as important as I thought. I’m much happier now that I’ve lost my looks and gained some weight. We have to find a balance in life. None of us will become supermodels. If we have a little extra weight it’s not going to impact our life negatively unless we allow it to do so. It’s our choice. Admittedly, this has been a difficult struggle for me to come to terms with.

My husband likes to go out for lunch everyday and that’s my biggest downfall as to maintaining my weight. I made a choice that I would go out and enjoy my time with him. I want us to be happy and enjoy our time together. I no longer exercise just to have a nice physique. I now exercise because it helps with my emotional well-being. I also enjoy feeling strong and flexible. It’s empowering to be able to do physically the things I need to do with ease and grace. My advice to you is to do what makes you happy and to please enjoy your life today. None of us are guaranteed a tomorrow.
Love your post. Agree with you 100% - although I sometimes look at my doughy tummy and long for something just a smidge smaller.

As a side note, please continue to enjoy your time with your husband. My husband and I used to go out to eat every day at lunch when he worked at a local company after 10 years of being unable to see each other during the day because he worked out of town. I am ashamed to admit that occasionally I felt annoyed because I didn't get to hang much with work buddies but I enjoyed the time with him. Now, he is handicapped and we don't eat out (unless I carry it in) or go to the movies, etc., because the hassle of leaving home is just too much. He had a dr. appt. today and it felt more like a combination date / road trip because we travel to another city for his treatment and we often eat out or stop by a favorite coffee shop on the way home as a treat for being out and surviving the appointments.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-19, 05:14 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorprincess View Post
According to Mark Sisson's Primal Endurance, for most people their target heart rate should be 180-age. I've been doing much more cardio since following this.
Interesting. I always thought that formula was 220-age and I followed that. Have to google Mark Sisson.
Old 05-15-19, 09:28 AM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
Interesting. I always thought that formula was 220-age and I followed that. Have to google Mark Sisson.
I think the difference between these two figures, after my own googling, is maximum heart rate vs. target heart rate. You don't really want to exceed your max or even get into that zone too much, and it's an indicator you need to back off a little. Target heart rate will get you more in your zone of exertion, fat-burning, aerobic/cardio mode, etc.
Old 05-15-19, 11:34 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
I think the difference between these two figures, after my own googling, is maximum heart rate vs. target heart rate. You don't really want to exceed your max or even get into that zone too much, and it's an indicator you need to back off a little. Target heart rate will get you more in your zone of exertion, fat-burning, aerobic/cardio mode, etc.
Makes sense. Thanks!
Old 05-15-19, 06:45 PM  
lithium

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncl View Post
my antidote to HIIT...dancing!
It occurred to me that Zumba is HIIT! During the hour-long class, there are always a few fast paced songs that will get my heart rate way up, such as this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4pcaZDpcS4

Each song is only 4-5min so it's easier to manage. Of course not all songs are this fast but we always get plenty sweaty.

I believe Jessica Smith said something like "the most effective workout is the one you're gonna do". Like so many of you already mentioned, I don't pay attention to the various bandwagons anymore. I only do workouts that I enjoy with no dread factor.
lithium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-19, 07:05 PM  
geojill

I hate HIIT (never liked it) and will sub those workouts for something else if they are included in a set. You know what the most effective workout is? The one you will do.
Old 05-15-19, 07:07 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Good thoughts here..... just chiming in to add that I think HIIT is good to round out a fitness program, but I think once a week or even once every couple of weeks is pretty good and I think ten minutes at a whack if it's really intense is good. And for lower impact HIIT, Mindy Mylrea has some pretty good options, if I recall correctly. She may have some short videos on youtube to give you some ideas of what to do that's lower impact.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hiit, hiit versus steady state, steady state results