Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-03-19, 11:38 AM  
bfit

Zumba is not ethical!

My community pool has decided to replace their standard water aerobics class with Aqua Zumba (which I have tried elsewhere and intensely dislike). I did some research (online but in reputable published places) and found out that Zumba is just a big franchise racket. It's a company based in Florida that is valued at more than $100 million. Instructors pay for a one day (one day!) training and pay every year after that to keep up their "certification" (one day!) plus they pay a monthly fee to get the music and routines. The instructors have to hussle to find community spaces (for free) to teach their classes. The "model" for Zumba is "it's not exercise, it's a party!", and the instructors are instructed not to actually instruct but just to dance and have people try to follow along. Instructors are expected to sell clothing, DVDs, and other merchandise to their students (and the instructors get a small cut of anything they sell). I was appalled! This isn't fitness - it's a big rip-off that exploits students and instructors. And how can a 1 day "certification" even be safe?
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-19, 11:53 AM  
prettyinpink

That is frustrating.

I’m pretty sure a lot of fitness brands have very little training like that. Even some types of barre and maybe even a few Pilates instructors have barely that.
Does Zumba require that you already have some kind of basic fitness certification, though? I think that is often a prerequisite.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-19, 12:35 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

This has been my experience teaching the last couple years with various instructors including Zumba, Oula, and Kangoo. People can get certified in a day or even an afternoon.

No, they don't need to have a base certification although I hope that some have their group fitness or personal training certification.

The Zumba instructor that owned the studio was often frustrated with Zumba's big business model.

The Kangoo teacher really had a bad case of not knowing her limits and often times would suggest to people with bad knees, arthritis, etc to put on these rebound shoes and jump.

I've done different group certifications through the years. I'm really impressed with how comprehensive my Essentrics certification was. Teaching and learning while you're doing classes, progressing through the levels and digging deeper into anatomy and how to modify for various populations is the way to build a program.

NOT trying to sell Essentrics....I know it's not for everyone. I do think they are holding integrity and high standards to their instructor training program.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-19, 12:41 PM  
marki64

Wow! You learn something new everyday. Never got on that fitness craze. People love it, but I experienced 1 class at work and wasn't impressed. No cuing, fast paced choreography, especially if you've never done the routine or are new to Zumba. Ridiculous. People were all over the place. I can catch on to choreography sort of quick, but I don't like trying to remember the next move. Some people left the class due to frustration. I hated the music choice, Latin and tribal music, BLECH!! No thanks!
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-19, 12:59 PM  
Izzy

This only reinforces my concerns about the number of instructors out there in fitness land that are not certified in anything. Or if they were certified at one time, their certificate expired. Trust me, there are a lot of instructors teaching at gyms, park districts, studios etc that say they are certified but are not. Unlike other professions they rarely show their certificates or have them available.

Mary
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-19, 03:08 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

It isn't hard to get certified in most gym-based class instruction. Zumba is not unique in this regard.

I think "Zumba is not ethical" is a harsh judgment to make. Based on that, I'd say 90% of the fitness industry is "not ethical." The reality is, most fitness certs are way too easy to get, plenty of gyms sell supplements and vitamins with NO education at all about the physical effects, etc.

It's really an area where you have to look out for yourself and inquire seriously into not only the certification, but the EDUCATION of people you work with.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-19, 03:57 PM  
Garrie A.

I'm a licensed Zumba instructor (took Basic Steps Level 1 in August 2017, Basic Steps Level 2 July 2018), and stopped teaching last year. I keep my ZIN account, where I pay roughly $40 a month for music and choreography ideas, plus discounts off future trainings and merchandise. In my trainings I was never told that I was expected to sell Zumba merchandise on the side. I was just there to teach, and that is it.

The main reason I stopped teaching (even though I was mainly a sub) was because both my mind and body were bored teaching the same routines (with little variation between different songs of the same style), and I hated having to do mostly non-verbal cueing. I always looked like an idiotic traffic cop. LOL! It was also very hard to try to get new customers into the door. I tried to distinguish myself by throwing in other international rhythms. In my classes I would always throw in a Celtic/Irish routine, because I was obsessed with Riverdance when I was a little boy .

Plus, in each of the trainings I took (which were one day), there was a LOT of material thrown at you, which was overwhelming. I felt like I had to learn a lot on my own, which was hard.

Currently I'm working to get my AFAA Group Exercise Instructor certification (I'm planning to take the exam in June after purchasing the self-study course in February), and just got a job as a fitness instructor at the local community center (at the recommendation of the fitness director who saw me during a step class).
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Joyce Vedral "Mix-It-Up" Rotation

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-19, 07:10 PM  
bubbles76

LOL Garrie! Idiotic traffic cop Well, the music is great. I couldn't get into live Zumba classes either. If I'm in the back and can't see you AND you're not using verbal cues, I'm not going to catch on.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-19, 07:13 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

So, I have never done Zumba, but the sense I have gotten is that it is mostly a dance routine. I don't know that dance instructors have certifications, per se. I'm just wondering if the 'it's not exercise/it's a party' rationale might hold water in that respect?
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-19, 08:17 PM  
lithium

I absolutely love Zumba. We have 3 regular Zumba instructors at the LA Fitness club I go to. Yes, there's no instructions for each routine. You just try to follow the instructor as best you can. Since I've been going to their classes for a while, I'm familiar with >90% of their routines. When they introduce a new song or there's a substitute instructor, of course I can't get it right the first time. But part of the fun is to pick up new choreographs quickly. As far as cueing goes, it's really up to the instructor. Some of them do give verbal cues, shouting loudly before each change. I get used to them either way. I agree that the level of skill can vary greatly from instructor to instructor. Our 3 regulars are all wonderful but I did experience subs who couldn't even hit the beat of the music. I also agree that it can be frustrating to the newcomer. Once I got over the initial awkward stage, it truly became my favorite type of cardio.
lithium is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aqua zumba, zumba