Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-11, 09:50 AM  
Tugger31

Question New Cathe's and Gliding Discs

Can ANY of the Cathe's be used WITHOUT the gliding discs AND still not have to modify the majority of the workout??? (I'm not referring to the obvious ones that don't use the disc like CycleMax, the yoga/stretch and the barre workouts).

Even though these workouts are low impact, other recent Cathe's that used the discs for lower body work, actually put MORE strain on my knee joints than the impact of her higher impact workouts.

I just dont want to waste alot of money and then have to modify the workouts so much that I lose the intensity component.

Thanks!!!
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-11, 10:06 AM  
Sara1000

I did Afterburn without the discs and didn't feel I'd missed a whole lot - just did a similar move without the discs, which weren't used all that much. The intensity may have not been as high but I didn't mind a little break.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-11, 10:08 AM  
acescholar

Although I enjoyed the (fairly minimal) disc work in Cardio Supersets, the workout really doesn't need discs. I did a breakdown here, so you can see which moves use the discs:

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=172455

You can easily do mountain climbers, jacks, and spidermen planks without the discs and still feel the work.
acescholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-11, 10:09 AM  
A-Bot
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1000 View Post
I did Afterburn without the discs and didn't feel I'd missed a whole lot - just did a similar move without the discs, which weren't used all that much. The intensity may have not been as high but I didn't mind a little break.
I agree - they weren't used too much and I just did similar moves and tried to maintain the intensity. I did traditional mountain climbers and fast jumping jacks . . same moves just without the discs and I went for speed since we don't have the discs balancing resistance thing going on. But, I didn't feel like I had to modify much or often . . and I've heard, via Cathe's forum, that there are a few that use the gliders even less than afterburn. I heard athletic training and carido supersets use them less, and that LIC doesn't use them at all.
Old 10-30-11, 12:35 PM  
Tugger31

Thanks, I may have to reconsider and put a few on my Xmas list. Keep the answers coming!
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-11, 12:51 PM  
karjoy
VF Supporter

I think Afterburn could easily be done without the discs. You could substitute regular jacks, mountain climbers, and planks for the disc moves. I just got my DVDs Wednesday evening, and the only other one I have done is Slide and Glide, which is disc specific. I am going to do Athletic training this afternoon so I will report back on that. Kareng
karjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-11, 08:10 PM  
TonyaC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
Can ANY of the Cathe's be used WITHOUT the gliding discs AND still not have to modify the majority of the workout??? (I'm not referring to the obvious ones that don't use the disc like CycleMax, the yoga/stretch and the barre workouts).

Even though these workouts are low impact, other recent Cathe's that used the discs for lower body work, actually put MORE strain on my knee joints than the impact of her higher impact workouts.

I just dont want to waste alot of money and then have to modify the workouts so much that I lose the intensity component.

Thanks!!!
I've only gotten through Afterburn and Cardio Supersets so far, and I agree that you could probably do these without the discs. However, I will say that mountain climbers with the discs are even harder than regular mountain climbers, and the regular ones sure aren't easy!

Mainly I'm posting because I agree with you about the discs putting more strain on injuries. I didn't notice any increased knee pain, but I do seem to be prone to Achilles tendinitis, and it's typically aggravated by lots of high impact. After doing Afterburn, I found that my right ankle was more sore than it's been in a LONG time. Seems OK now, but I'm going to be more careful with that workout next time.

I like the discs for things like lunges and mountain climbers. I do not like them for jacks, skiing, or other attempts to mimic traditional high-impact movements. I think they actually make those movements more uncomfortable (for me, at least).
TonyaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-11, 08:54 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Athletic Training uses the discs less than AfterBurn, so you could probably do without them.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-11, 09:21 PM  
dbclark44

Quote:
I just got my DVDs Wednesday evening, and the only other one I have done is Slide and Glide, which is disc specific. I
I just did this one today easily modifying all the moves without the discs. I have the discs but my knees started hurting so I turned the workout into a non disc low impact workout and with the speed got a heck of a workout. Even the floorwork can be done without the discs. I found all the moves very easy to modify without the discs.

Rotations are an immunization against procrastination.
dbclark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-11, 12:40 PM  
steakhousegirl

I agree that the discs make everything harder. I'm warming up to doing jacks with the discs and now I really like it.

Insanity Grad
Turbo Fire Grad
S90 Grad
P90X2 Grad
steakhousegirl is offline   Reply With Quote