Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-10-11, 05:31 PM  
Eibhinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
I can't believe the condition some DVD's I get from Family Video or Netflix are in (even newer releases that couldn't have been rented very many times before me): scratches, smudges, what looks like pieces of candy stuck to the back of the DVD. I sometimes wonder how people handle them....or if they use them to play frisbee?
There is a video rental place locally which is amazing in that they have an incredible selection of international movies, documentaries, EVERYTHING really... the one problem with them is every single movie I get there, even new releases, is scratched to hell. I realize that I am much more careful than most people with my DVDs, but I sincerely have no idea how people do so much damage to the discs without it being intentional. Clearly the neighbourhood (which is full of young university students, so maybe I shouldn't be super surprised) is full of people who are not at all careful with material things. I always joke that everyone around here has sandpaper lined DVD players, because that's really the only explanation I can imagine for the amount of scratches on the discs.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-11, 08:56 PM  
LauraBella

I now don't loan mine because of bad experiences. When asked why, I explain that it's bc of bad experiences. Occassionally someone commiserates enough that I think they 'get it' and will loan that person something, but never a favorite. I'm currently waiting on a return of several dvds from Over A Year Ago from one of those caves.

I think the thing is that for MOST people DVD exercise doesn't really have a value, bc it represents something that they should do, might do, wish to do...but not something they have a vested interest IN doing. They borrow but not buy bc they aren't serious about it. They think they should exercise but arent committed enough to buy. So they borrow. And they procrastinate, forget that they have it, etc, etc. And you just don't see your DVD again.

I think that loaning a DVD to a vidiot might be a different experience. I think that my new policy will be that I *might* loan one to a friend who I KNOW works out with DVDs who wants to try-before-she-buys, but not someone who "wants to try exercising." I may not loan them at all.

Some posters have noted that people are human and should be cut some slack, and yes that's true. However, if you will notice, there seems to be a distinct prediliction to not returning workout DVDs specifically. I've personally experiences unreturned DVDs on a MUCH, MUCH, MUCH greater scale than clothing, home, music, book type items, etc. There's a definite trend that says you are VERY UNLIKELY to get them back, especially in a timely manner, or in good condition.

How, precisely, do you decline? What do you say to push back that "but you have so many, you can't do them allllll," etc.
LauraBella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-11, 10:08 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

You know, my MIL expressed some interest in my dvds--specifically some OOP Classical Stretch. I sort of said with humor that "they were my precious, were OOP and couldn't be replaced". I think she thought I was bunko, but she didn't ask again. I know for a fact she borrowed "Rehab Your Body at Home" and never did it once--it sat there until dh, HER SON, asked her for it 'cause he hurt his shoulder.

I'm the only person in the family who exercises, and they all know how much I love my dvds. I bring them with over holidays and weekends, and plan to do longer ones when relatives are around to watch my kids!

I have loaned dvds (never OOP precious, though) here on VF and never had a problem. I have a friend locally who does dvds and did try some of mine. I do think the ticket is that they need to be already exercising with dvds.

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-11, 10:13 PM  
mizach
VF Supporter

You know, when I go to Marshall's, TJ Maxx or any discount stores with exercise DVDs, I make sure they are nicely and neatly shelved in case a vidiot buys one of them.
mizach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-11, 12:44 AM  
CharM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizach View Post
You know, when I go to Marshall's, TJ Maxx or any discount stores with exercise DVDs, I make sure they are nicely and neatly shelved in case a vidiot buys one of them.
I do the same at the library, Goodwill, wherever I see more than one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraBella View Post
How, precisely, do you decline? What do you say to push back that "but you have so many, you can't do them allllll," etc.
"I don't lend out my dvd workouts." That should be enough. If it's not, keep repeating until the person gets it through his/her head. You really should not have to explain yourself, they're yours.
CharM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-11, 07:59 AM  
Eibhinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharM View Post
"I don't lend out my dvd workouts." That should be enough. If it's not, keep repeating until the person gets it through his/her head. You really should not have to explain yourself, they're yours.
If they are pushy, a good follow-up might be to explain you've had bad experiences with lending things in the past -- which put a strain on relationships -- and your friendship is too important for even the slightest risk it might come to that. If they continue to push after that line, well, you probably don't have to worry so much about offending them since at that point they are implicitly indicating they value your relationship less than they value the ability to use a DVD for free.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-11, 08:21 AM  
Ctfitnut
VF Supporter

Every time I have lended out my dvds I have missed them and wished I had kept them and to be truthful I have not gotten them back either. I won't be lending any more out unless I won't use them. I don't think we should have to justify keeping our dvds - frankly we collect them and value them. If push comes to shove I am going to say that it has been my experience I don't get the ones I have lended out back so I have a rule that I don't lend them out any more!
Old 08-11-11, 11:54 AM  
casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
I can't believe how inconsiderate some of the 'borrowers' mentioned are. They show a total disrespect for people's property, and for the people who loaned them the item.

I hope that's a typo, LOL!
It was a typo well actually my auto spellcheck thingee. though someone who's not into exercise might think I'm an idiot if they saw how many DVDs I bought recently but they made me so happy. I bought:

1. Dove 1, 2, 4 because I had 3 and really liked it after doing a 2nd time. The 2nd time I did it after my run and it felt perfect with the lighter weights and continual movement. I did Dove 4 a couple days ago and it was good and just had enough with lots of leg work.

2. Jari Love Revved to the Max and Bootcamp. I did Revved and I was tired and my legs were sore. It was harder than her earlier ones and if you do the whole thing (which I did) it kills you with shoulder work. I still like it.

3. Squeeze Stronger and Squeeze Lower Body. I did a run and then about 25 minutes of Squeeze Lower Body, which I also liked. That was what I did the day before Jari's Revved so maybe that explains my sore legs.

At this point I have to confess I am a total vidiot and refuse to loan my DVDs to family members anymore!
casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-11, 12:05 PM  
casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbarbie View Post
I would NEVER lend out my fitness DVDs and I learned my lesson after getting burned loaning my favorite books to people. Once I lent one of my favorite books to someone and when I asked for it back she said she lost it...why? Because she lent it to HER friend. My new attitude is, you want to work out with fitness DVDs, bring your workout clothes to my house and we can work out together.
Heehee you just reminded me... Years ago my older sister (the one who redesigned my wedding veil) wanted to use my classic firms when she noticed what great shape I was in after having my baby. I told her to come over and work out with me and we did Firm Volume 1. Well, I think the floor work nearly killed her and she hasn't asked for a DVD since.
casey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lendings dvds, loaning dvds