Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-17-11, 01:33 AM  
slysam
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
But a lot of these things labeled as fads, well people still do them and they are effective. People still kickbox, do step aerobics, jazzercise, Tao bo, rebounding, etc. If they are effective, some people will continue to do them. I think Zumba will fade in popularity but there will be people who enjoy it for a long time. It is a decent workout and fun, that always appeals. In general mass fitness is about fads--people who (sorry to say it) are not able to stick with programs or who simply like new things will always want the next new thing. If someone has had trouble sticking to a program or didn't see results the new thing might be the magic they have been waiting for (sometimes it really is). How many people join gyms and never go? How many people buy P90x and never use it? How many people buy a treadmill and use it as an expensive coat hanger? If something is effective it will always have a following (though smaller) but the fads (effective or not) will always be replaced by another new thing.
__________________
Feeling Fit, Bit by Bit
My fitness/lifestyle blog: http://www.feelingfit.info
and books/entertainment sharing: http://slysamenjoys.blogspot.com
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-11, 07:42 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter
 
SharonNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve4404 View Post

2) Bryan Kest Power yoga: 3 45 minute Vinyassa yoga routines. He was so far ahead of his time. These were filmed in 1995!

So even if Zumba fades into the horizon like these workouts, they may still be effective
Kest doesn't continue to make videos so it's natural that the buzz re: him isn't as intense. He's still a hugely popular teacher in the Santa Monica area and at yoga conferences. You can stream classes from his website: https://www.poweryogaondemand.com/main_login.aspx . The trend he helped popularize (vinyasa/power yoga) is still predominant in yoga studios.

I know a lot of people for whom Bikram has done wonders over the years. Not my thing, but neither is Kest.
__________________
Sharon
(You can get to my sketchblog through my profile page.)
__________________________
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.


(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-11, 08:59 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter
 
eam531's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Buffalo, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by slysam View Post
But a lot of these things labeled as fads, well people still do them and they are effective. People still kickbox, do step aerobics, jazzercise, Tao bo, rebounding, etc. If they are effective, some people will continue to do them. I think Zumba will fade in popularity but there will be people who enjoy it for a long time. It is a decent workout and fun, that always appeals. In general mass fitness is about fads--people who (sorry to say it) are not able to stick with programs or who simply like new things will always want the next new thing. If someone has had trouble sticking to a program or didn't see results the new thing might be the magic they have been waiting for (sometimes it really is). How many people join gyms and never go? How many people buy P90x and never use it? How many people buy a treadmill and use it as an expensive coat hanger? If something is effective it will always have a following (though smaller) but the fads (effective or not) will always be replaced by another new thing.
I read someplace (in a thread here on VF, most likely) that P90X has been around since 2004. I would hardly call it a fad.

I agree with Sharon about Bryan Kest, and I'd add Baron Baptiste to the list. Both of them are very popular teachers who no longer make videos, so there is no buzz about them here. Bryan was just here in DC for a workshop and Baron leads workshops and retreats. They are both still big names, just not making videos these days.
__________________
Betsy

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

Never sacrifice the breath for a posture--David Swenson

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-11, 10:27 AM  
Sophie
 
Sophie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by eam531 View Post
I agree with Sharon about Bryan Kest, and I'd add Baron Baptiste to the list. Both of them are very popular teachers who no longer make videos, so there is no buzz about them here. Bryan was just here in DC for a workshop and Baron leads workshops and retreats. They are both still big names, just not making videos these days.
And you could probably add Erich Schiffman to that list, and to some extent Rodney Yee, Ana Forrest.

I love the fact that Zumba is fad-dish enough to finally become available as live classes in my backwater of a town, so yes, I would say that it's a fad in that it has finally become widely available. But what it really feels like is a refreshed, updated version of the good old floor aerobics we did in the 80's and 90's, so it has a long-standing foundation. Everything old is new again - others have given kettlebells as an example, and now we have guys like Anthony bringing back vintage dumbells and barbells, and some guys bringing back the old-fashioned club bells (look like stumpy, heavy, baseball bats).

So I see things as Zumba as the current, popular incarnations of things that have been around for a while and will continue to endure, even if they die down a little bit between periods of hype.
__________________
Sophie

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-11, 10:48 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter
 
Sue B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonNYC View Post
Kest doesn't continue to make videos so it's natural that the buzz re: him isn't as intense. He's still a hugely popular teacher in the Santa Monica area and at yoga conferences. You can stream classes from his website: https://www.poweryogaondemand.com/main_login.aspx . The trend he helped popularize (vinyasa/power yoga) is still predominant in yoga studios.
And now that Jillian and Bob have latched on, it is officially the official form of yoga. Rep it out, America!
__________________
My blog: Arrow Dynamic Mom

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-11, 11:01 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter
 
SharonNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
And now that Jillian and Bob have latched on, it is officially the official form of yoga. Rep it out, America!
Aiyiyi! But then, for those who like that sort of thing, that's the sort of thing they like.
__________________
Sharon
(You can get to my sketchblog through my profile page.)
__________________________
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.


(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-11, 11:03 AM  
Jacqi A
VF Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Haifa, Israel
I suspect that Zumba is more of an international success than some other exercise trends. In general, gyms have a schedule & have to decide which classes to offer - we vidiots can do whatever we like, whether it's in or out of fashion, whenever we want to.
Jacqi A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-11, 01:39 PM  
misc.etc.1
VF Supporter
 
misc.etc.1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Houston, TX
I don't care for it...

It's just not my thing. I've tried it several times with some good instructors. I love the music but hate the complicated moves. And I especially hate that my 24 hour fitness replaced a popular TurboKick class at a great time to add another Zumba class.

Now when I see the word Zumba, eyerolls ensue and "ugh" is automatically uttered from my mouth.

I hope the craze will die down and TurboKick (or any kickboxing) makes a resurgence at the gym!
misc.etc.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-11, 03:05 PM  
Ctfitnut
VF Supporter
 
Ctfitnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Connecticut
I just returned from Zumba's 10th Year Anniversary Convention and we were over 6,000 strong instructors from all over the world. It has been steadily growing and is expanding into new areas including the older adult (gold) and even handicap/chair exercises.

Do I think it is a fad - No. Is it for everyone - I think as long as the individual likes doing it regardless of ability - it is for them since it will get them exercising and having fun but perhaps not for all. I love it, teach it as well as kickboxing, strength classes, yoga, etc.
__________________
[SIZE=1]Sheila C. Ctfitnut
Ctfitnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-11, 03:13 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter
 
Debbie S.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctfitnut View Post
I just returned from Zumba's 10th Year Anniversary Convention and we were over 6,000 strong instructors from all over the world. It has been steadily growing and is expanding into new areas including the older adult (gold) and even handicap/chair exercises.

Do I think it is a fad - No. Is it for everyone - I think as long as the individual likes doing it regardless of ability - it is for them since it will get them exercising and having fun but perhaps not for all. I love it, teach it as well as kickboxing, strength classes, yoga, etc.
Sheila, thank you for sharing your experience. Zumba always puts a smile on my face, and that's always a good thing.
__________________
Laughter is the best medicine. Have you had your daily dose?
Walking is Nature's Prozac!
Don't let anyone judge you! It's your workout. Sylwia
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson




A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fitness trends, zumba

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2009 Video Fitness