Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-21-11, 03:12 PM  
caligurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitstick View Post
I was worried too about all of the things mentioned about rubber flooring - how to clean it, the smell, the hard surface, the darkness of it in my small room. Anyways, after much debate I went with a commercial carpeting (Home Depot) that is almost like a soft surface with enough bounce but not too much bounce. I love it. Plus the color patterns were much more palatable than the rubber. So, I am not sure if I passed on the rubber for wrong reasons - but the commercial carpeting is wonderful and I love it. It is dense enough that it provides a smooth enough surface, you won't get stuck in it like regular carpeting. It is perfect for moves like burpees because the surface is not too hard on my hands/knees etc, yet it is durable. And the color options are very nice! So that was my decision and I could not be happier. I am very very pleased now that my workout room remodel is complete!!!
thank you!

well... carpet is out for us cuz i don't think hubby would go for carpeting the garage! lol! plus i sweat and drip like a pig when i'm working out... so i fear a carpet would be a wet soggy mess.... looks like we'll just continue to use the puzzle mats...
it is NOT against the rules to say DIET on this forum!
-----
"VFers have a right to post negative opinions about an instructor,
and there is not a limit on the number of times they do so".
- WWWendy

-----
"...no matter how unpopular you perceive your opinion to be, we guarantee you
are not the only one here who holds that opinion, and you should feel free to express it."
- WWWendy via forum guidelines
caligurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-11, 08:17 PM  
casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydogfan View Post
On recommendation by another VFer, I went to Tractor Supply Co. and bought 4' x 6' rubber horse stall mats for $40 each. They are excellent. I have a squat rack on top of them and it's no problem. They are so, so heavy that they don't move. I dropped a 350 lb. barbell on them once and they took it like a champ.
They are kind of textured, so they aren't fun to clean, but I think that's true with any flooring like this -- including those awful puzzle mats (which I had prior to the horse mats.)

Katie
My dh is a commercial contractor and installs interior finishes in mostly schools, office buildings, movie theatres, restaurants etc. He does ceilings and wall sound soak decorative stuff but he did floors as well. (he doesn't do flooring anymore because people outsource and use cheap labor) He has done some commercial gyms and he also did a very expensive horse stable. The gym wanted heavy rubber interlocking mats. The stable got those rubber horse mats and they are extremely durable. The horse owner paid thousands for about 20 horse stalls. Our horse has no rubber mats in her stall but she is a happy beastie She weighs approximately 1200 lbs so you know those horse mats have to be durable.

My dh said we should put commercial grade rubber interlocking mats in our workout room. He put them in a blue and black checkerboard pattern on a diagonal from the far corner of the room. It's really comfortable to me but I guess a "floating" or raised wood floor would be top of the line but very expensive. He got a certain percentage of seconds for our mats and used them for cutting in on the borders and in the closet. We saved a lot that way. I think we got 20% seconds. They might have one smudge and you are cutting them for borders anyway.

Horse mats sound great if the price is right. My dh said Fluffydogfan got a REALLY good price on her horse stall mats. He is extremely impressed by the 350 lb barbell. HTH

HTH!
casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-11, 08:39 PM  
TonyaC
VF Supporter

How funny...just yesterday I was thinking that I should look at this thread again, and lo and behold, it got revived today!

I'm almost ready to buy the flooring for my garage. I'm still leaning towards the plyorobic rubber flooring, so I'll post my opinions on it after I've installed it. I'm not too worried about the smell because it will be in the garage, which is generally closed off from the rest of the house. My main concern is that it will be difficult to do complex choreography because of the traction.

I am going to try to find some horse stall mats first, just to see if they might work for me. I hope so, because I could save a lot of money that way.
TonyaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-11, 11:19 PM  
TonyaC
VF Supporter

I'm reviving this thread because I finally installed some rubber flooring in my garage. I ended up going with this option: http://www.rubbercal.com/Revolution.html. I only found this manufacturer because I was looking for something I could buy locally to avoid exorbitant shipping charges. Turns out my whole order weighed about 875 pounds and we don't own a truck, so I ended up paying for shipping after all.

Anyhow, my husband and I installed it ourselves this weekend. We put it directly over concrete with no adhesive. It wasn't exactly fun, and we had to take a utility knife to some of the little connector pegs to get them to fit into the holes in the adjoining tile. But now that it's done, I really like it so far! It feels like it has enough give for high impact cardio, but it also is able to support my squat rack. I will probably get another layer of thick rubber to put under the treadmill, since the constant pounding might wear down the spots on the floor where the treadmill legs sit.
TonyaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-11, 09:02 AM  
caligurl

OH! i'm so jealous! that stuff is awesome! we thought about getting this and doing the same thing (picking it up) but ya... not at 800+ pounds!
it is NOT against the rules to say DIET on this forum!
-----
"VFers have a right to post negative opinions about an instructor,
and there is not a limit on the number of times they do so".
- WWWendy

-----
"...no matter how unpopular you perceive your opinion to be, we guarantee you
are not the only one here who holds that opinion, and you should feel free to express it."
- WWWendy via forum guidelines
caligurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-11, 09:17 AM  
violingal3

I was thinking about this again over the weekend when my extra piece of carpet kept bunching up while doing kickboxing - ugh!!! This thread popping back up is a sign, I must do something! Anyone try portable dance flooring? I was thinking about a 9' x 12' area of something like this: http://www.snaplockdancefloors.com/maplexl.html
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flooring, mats