Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-24-11, 04:36 PM  
ardnas

At 21 I was very skinny, probably too much so for my frame and always thought I was fat even though that was ridiculous. I smoked and I drank alot. I had alot of energy & slept little. I barely ate anything, I remember eating only some green beans for days. I was always getting sick with colds and flu.
I might want to have that body (& energy) back, but I certainly would treat it differently - I would eat healthy, exercise, and appreciate it. I'd wear sunblock daily, get adequate sleep, not smoke, and drink little if any.
Old 02-24-11, 04:44 PM  
alikruegs
VF Supporter

I would get drunk and wake up without a hang over . How did I ever manage to do that???? I'm 30 now, and not much has changed other than my ability to bounce back from late nights and parties. I suppose I don't keep muscle tone as long if I don't work to maintain it, but that's not really a problem for me since now I have a regular exercise routine and enjoy it.
Old 02-24-11, 06:47 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddj View Post
Am I the only one who wasn't smoking, drinking, partying, or skinny even though I could eat anything I wanted?
No, you weren't the only one. I haven't changed all that much in my personality and/or habits since I was that age.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-11, 08:39 PM  
laurajhawk

Wow, 21. I wasn't fat and I wasn't in bad shape because I had no car and walked miles getting to campus and everywhere, but I didn't work out and I had no strength and no coordination. Oh and Jennifer mentioned glasses - it would be such a shock for me to go back to my terrible, pre-Lasik eyes!

I'd love to go back to my 21 y.o. body for a month - it would be great fun to whip it into shape (with no creaky joints, no nagging old injuries, etc.). If I only had a day, though, I'm not sure what I'd do with the poor li'l skinny thing!

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-11, 09:15 PM  
kauaigirl

Location: Wisconsin. But I'll always be a Michigan girl at heart!
My college bestie and I dream about doing this all the time.

Although I wasn't overweight at 21 (mainly because I walked everywhere and went dancing in the clubs almost every night), I certainly wasn't "in shape." I had no strength and no flexibility and, other than dancing and walking, I didn't do any dedicated exercise. I wasn't a sorority girl and, really, they were the only ones who hung out at the rec center during my college years.

I would obviously need more than a day, but if I could go back to that year, I would use the amazing resources that were available at the campus rec center. I would find time to dedicate to fitness. I would eat much better than I did so I didn't set my self up for weight gain in my late 20s and 30s. I mean, who knew you couldn't continue scarfing down pizza at midnight for the rest of your life?

But more than anything else, I would banish the high-waisted jeans that were in style then and bust out the shortest, tightest things I could find to show off my lean, toned self.
Old 02-24-11, 09:19 PM  
seagreen01
VF Supporter

Enjoy that day with no aches and pains and relish being able to sleep the night through.
Must not forget to take a 90 minute masterclass and enjoy the incredible high that comes for hours after. 60 mins is my limit now.
seagreen01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-11, 10:47 PM  
Helen

I hadn't been with DH for very long. He described me as being "ribs & thighs" as I was training for the Intervarsity Power Lifting comp.

I weighed 44kg (98lb), could bench press 36kg (80lb), leg press the whole stack on the machine, barbell squat 120kg (264lb), & deadlift 80kg (176lb) - squat to pick up from the floor, not Romanian deadlifts that Cathe does. They were my comp numbers - just 3 reps.

Given a day there again, what would I do? Take a PHOTO of myself as I don't have a single picture of me in that shape - probably because I thought "Why? I'll always look like this!" Yeaaahhh, sssuuuuuurrreeee.....

I live in a university/surfing town, so the culture wasn't focused so much on alcohol as THC in various forms, and I was secretary of the University Surfriders' Club. Got it?

Since I don't want stress in my life, I wouldn't create them myself, but I'd be sure to buy as many shares as I could in Microsoft, Apple, Google & Facebook
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-11, 11:52 AM  
dickensgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickets View Post
Well, it would be nice to have a day with no aches or pains of any kind.
Second this

Jeri

Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did~ Mark Twain
dickensgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-11, 09:56 AM  
Cowgirl32

I'm 25; so, I'll just pretend like I never saw this thread lol. BUT I am noticing I don't recover as easily from nights out, hard workouts, etc......Although, I did have the 'skinny fat' thing going on =-)...
Old 02-26-11, 01:05 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
If I could spend a day in my 21 year old body I would not criticize my boobs, thighs and butt because man, I'd take those ones back in a New York minute.
Amen to that, Pat. I would also have a long talk with myself about sticking with strength training and being more consistent with flexibility training. I actually started lifting weights about that time, but then didn't stick with it consistently until I injured my back 15 years later. I was also dabbling in yoga back then, but I'd do more of it. I'd love to have the quick recovery time I had back then. And I'd go skiing every day (wait that is what I did a couple years after that!) and then go out with Jen for a big milkshake.

Really I'm stronger and wayyyyy more flexible than I was back then.

Tags
aging, wisdom