Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-11, 10:55 AM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliepie View Post
I guess I'm asking is whether those of you who do kettlebell workouts have stopped doing traditional strength training...?
Yes and no. I've hung onto circuit-y type workouts like the TLT's and will probably revisit some Firms in a month or two. I will do some abbreviated training once in a while. I would consider revisiting NROLW at some point if I feel the need. Right now it's mostly kettlebells, though.

Traditional strength training still has its place, IMO. I've had injury flareups that were somewhat irritated by KB training, but were OK (and helped) by a more traditional approach. So I've hung onto all that equipment.

Uh, I guess that makes it an actual "no", then.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-11, 10:56 AM  
Messe

Quote:
I guess I'm asking is whether those of you who do kettlebell workouts have stopped doing traditional strength training...?
I have. I use kettlebells, sometimes with a few bodyweight exercises included, yoga and (very occasionally) some barre work.

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-11, 11:33 AM  
Buffgirl

I doing mostly Kettlebell training, after more than 20 yrs. of using, the firm, pilates, P90X, Insanity, I learned that I can achieve faster results in half the time, I am not interested in traditional training. Read the study by ACE on Kettlebell training, they are impressed too.

http://www.acefitness.org/getfit/stu...ells012010.pdf
Buffgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-11, 10:14 PM  
Kimberly33

Quote:
Pretty much, yes. I alternate KBs with working with a TRX (suspension training). I find that the KBs are good for pushing movements and the TRX for pulling. I've started taking courses on Gravity machines at the gym (basically a souped up Total Gym). I prefer to do multijoint exercises with some focus on the posterior chain.

My DBs are in storage!

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul
You've got to run like an antelope, out of control. (Phish)

Can't control the kittens!
Too many whiskers. Too many whiskers
(Sleep Talkin' Man)
Kimberly33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-11, 10:55 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

One of my patients was telling me about Gravity machine classes at her gym. Sounded really interesting. The other gym machine I've heard about lately is the rope pulling machine. I can't picture it, but the way it was described to me it sounds like a fab workout.

I just found myself using a KB as a door stop the other day. I haven't used them at all since last year when I was having foot problems. My feet are much improved, I should probably heft one now and again.
Old 02-24-11, 08:24 AM  
Kimberly33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loretta S. View Post
One of my patients was telling me about Gravity machine classes at her gym. Sounded really interesting. The other gym machine I've heard about lately is the rope pulling machine. I can't picture it, but the way it was described to me it sounds like a fab workout.
Haven't seen rope-pulling machines. I LOVE the Gravity machines. I've had shoulder issues since I did Ashtanga yoga years ago. I even did PT for it. The Gravity works a really large range of motion and the whole shoulder. It feels better from that than anything I've done. It's really fun to do plyometric stuff on it, too.

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul
You've got to run like an antelope, out of control. (Phish)

Can't control the kittens!
Too many whiskers. Too many whiskers
(Sleep Talkin' Man)
Kimberly33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kettlebell, kettlebell beginner, kettlebells, kettlebells for beginners