Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear

Old 09-13-09, 10:04 PM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

LOL, I am a regular cash machine for fitness companies lately and I just ordered three pair of Balega socks after these and other online raves. It was slightly cheaper to order directly from the company than Amazon. For some reason, even though nothing has changed in my workouts or gear, I've been getting big mutant junkie blisters this summer after rebounding. I didn't think a sock change could help since I already wore Thorlos, but hopefully these are the ticket. Thanks for the suggestion.

-Sarah
Sarah-lara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-09, 03:35 PM  
mizach
VF Supporter

Orlita,
The owner of Fleet Feet shop recommended to replace inserts after you've worn down 2 running shoes.

Sarah,
Have your Balegas arrived yet? I need to buy more socks as DH, DS and I are training for an event in a month.
mizach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-09, 02:44 PM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

I did get the Balega's in (this pair). I was surprised at how thin they are compared to the Thorlos, but they feel much silkier and nicer-feeling. They don't have the same amount of padding. I have to lace my shoes a lot tighter because they take up less space. I almost think I'll pull out my 1/2 size smaller shoes for my next run. I usually save those for short jogs in the winter when my feet won't swell. I still managed to get a small blister using the socks (in yet a different area of the foot) rebounding the other day, but it seems to be an improvement from some socks I have anyway. I'm not unhappy.

There was another thread about Splax anti-blister roll on. Since it is made with shea butter and I already have some of *that*, I'm going to try it before rebounding again. With the balega socks and the shea butter, I can imagine I won't have a return of the monster blisters I had at the beginning of the summer.

ETA: Before I got in the Balega socks, I had been running with two pair: the Injinji's and then a thin, cheap Cool max pair from Target over that. That seemed to work like a dream, but I worry it would be very hot in the summer. Still, it's an option.
Old 09-24-09, 05:06 PM  
mizach
VF Supporter

Hi Sarah,
Sorry the Balega's didn't prevent blisters for you. I've never tried Thorlos so I can not compare. Your description that they feel silky is spot on. I went out for a trail run today wearing my DH's Nike socks. They worked great and are cheaper. I'm waiting for my $60 coupon from Fleet Feet and will use that to buy more socks. Meanwhile, I'll use my DH's Nikes .
I'll check out the other socks you mentioned.
Old 09-25-09, 08:45 PM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

Just to add another one in the mix, I saw these new Thorlo Experia's at Sports Authority tonight. They're supposed to be the cushioning of Thorlos but without all their bulk & weight. They're not quite as silky as Balega's. I'm not in the market anymore or I would definitely have bought a pair.

http://www.amazingsocks.com/web-pid-...-Crew-item.htm
Old 11-04-09, 05:22 PM  
Daphne M

I'm another huge fan of Balegas. I didn't realize I was riding a trend!

Last year it seems as if either the top of my foot was hurting or the ball of my foot was hurting when I went for a run. I switched to running in Balegas and instantly got relief. This summer I bought a couple of pairs for my 14-year old when he started running cross country. He loved them too, so I ending up buying him six pairs. (They run 6 days/week.) But now somehow he only has 3 socks left instead of 12. Sigh.

Previously I was running in Pearl Izumis and whatever cute sock caught my eye at Team Estrogen. Before that, I liked WrightSocks and before that, it was Thorlos. The Balegas are nice because they do have some padding but they still are thin to medium thickness. The padding is moderate and only in areas where you need a little extra.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-09, 10:40 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

For anyone still interested in Balegas, I've found some good prices on them here: http://www.sportsbasement.com/istar....=10&submit.y=8

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-09, 10:13 AM  
mizach
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
For anyone still interested in Balegas, I've found some good prices on them here: http://www.sportsbasement.com/istar....=10&submit.y=8
Thanks for sharing that site.

Daphne,
My 10 yr-old son will be running his first US Track & Field race this afternoon. He's wearing a pair of Balegas for sure.
Old 11-08-09, 11:02 AM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Lorna, you must be proud of your son. Let us know how he does.

Kathryn, thank you for the link.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-09, 09:05 PM  
mizach
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S. View Post
Lorna, you must be proud of your son. Let us know how he does.
Hi Debbie,
Zach ran a 3K in about 15 mins. He had a hard time passing kids in the segments where the trail is narrow. Overall, he was so relaxed, while I was very nervous . The kids were so amazing!
Here's a picture of his team at the starting line:
Pacers Bantam team (year of birth: 1999 - 2000)

The team qualified for the next round! However, the date conflicts with Zach's violin concert. Zach will not like it...

Last edited by mizach; 11-09-09 at 09:25 PM. Reason: added a link to a picture

Tags
blisters, inserts, insoles, orthotics, socks