Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-09, 04:24 PM  
jenjenjen

How much space do you have in your room? For doing fitness videos.

I just ordered the p90x and I am freaking a bit because I neglected to factor in the size of my room. Tiny. Very little space. Maybe 8x5 feet space between furniture.

I usually just go running or go to the gym so I'm completely new to a fitness video, lol.

Also, I use my computer as a TV so it's on top of the desk. I just realized it'd be hard to be on the floor doing situps when the screen is on the desk, lol.

Am I just in a unique situation or anyone else too? lol.

I am moving in about a month so this may change.
jenjenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-09, 04:38 PM  
MuscleGuy

Hi, jenjenjen

I haven't done P90X personally, but I've seen Youtube vids of people doing it in very little space in their rooms.

I do all my workouts on the patio in my back garden now. I just move the TV to the patio door. Good thing I have trees in my garden so the neighbours can't see.

The only problem is the weather (and being in the UK, it IS a problem)...so I usually start all swaddled up in winter clothes then strip down to a T-shirt as the workout goes on and I'm warmed up.

Before I 'moved' into the garden, I had about 8X5 between the furniture in my living room too.....it never really caused a problem except with kickboxing workouts really.

I think you'll be fine as long as you're careful not to knock over any vases or pets. ( I nearly kicked one of my cats once!)

Adam
MuscleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-09, 04:48 PM  
jenjenjen

whew, if those people in the videos can do it in a small room, I should be fine I guess. At the gym, I always avoided the 6pm rush unless it's something contained like spinning, since all the mats would be so close together and you'd literally step on someone else if they're not in sync with everyone else.

I also have another I guess basic question. Does anyone live in a studio? What do you do for the pull-up exercises? From what I understand, I need a pull-up bar, but those only seem to go in open doorways. I'm thinking I'll fudge that part of the workout anyway (the the resistance band) since I have no arm strength whatsoever right now.
Old 04-22-09, 04:52 PM  
ldy_solana

i don't know exact measurements but i don't have a lot of space either and i have managed. i haven't done P90x either but i have cathe and amy which require a bit of equipment and space(for lunges etc) and i managed. even some of amy's cardio which can be space hogs

kassia
ldy_solana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-09, 04:55 PM  
MuscleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjenjen
I also have another I guess basic question. Does anyone live in a studio? What do you do for the pull-up exercises? From what I understand, I need a pull-up bar, but those only seem to go in open doorways. I'm thinking I'll fudge that part of the workout anyway (the the resistance band) since I have no arm strength whatsoever right now.

Get two chairs and put a broomstick across them. Lie in between them and do 'body rows'.

Adam
Old 04-22-09, 04:57 PM  
MuscleGuy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCOQkpr-V6I

Adam
Old 04-22-09, 05:35 PM  
Patti S.
VF Supporter

You don't need much room for P90X. Plyo X is the biggest "space hog" but easily modifiable to fit a small space.
Old 04-22-09, 05:51 PM  
jenjenjen

thanks for reassuring me, lol. I'm excited to do something new.

muscleguy, I never saw those moves before. I think they will work!
Old 04-22-09, 06:21 PM  
DebbieRN

I have a tiny apartment and the only door I could use was the bathroom! Knowing I could take it back if it didn't work, I tried the Iron Gym. No nails and it just hooked right into the frame. I have a dresser in the hallway just outside the bathroom so I hook my feet on that to cheat. With a coupon at Bed, Bath, and Beyond, it was only $20 and tax. Great little thing!

Debbie
DebbieRN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fitness space, room, workout space