Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-13-15, 07:06 PM  
shoegoddess

I bought a Fitbit One today!

I've used a Fitbit Ultra for about 3 years. This morning I picked it up off the bathroom counter and the back fell off exposing the electronics. The stress point were it curves was cracked. Has been for a long time. Like a good vidiot I taped it back together and checked to make sure it charged and synced. Thank goodness it does. I showed hubby and mentioned maybe going to Bed Bath and Beyond to see if they have them in store. I got a 20% off coupon in the mail yesterday. That would have made it about $80. Hubby says check Amazon. He loves Amazon. So I check Amazon. $80 + free shipping + going thru Ebates.com I get cash back. Looks like it might be 5% on fitness products. + my credit card gives 1.5% on all purchases. WINNER! I ordered of course Hope my Ultra lasts till I get the One.

I'm not a typical grandma!

Body by Cathe, Chalene and Dr. Niccole
-Me

A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Well-behaved women seldom make history
-Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Women are Angels
And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...we are flexible like that
-White Witch

Gotta love Maxine:
http://forum.videofitness.com/pictur...&pictureid=230
shoegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-15, 07:14 PM  
Raineth
VF Supporter

Yay! Good deal. I love my Fitbit One.
Raineth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-15, 01:59 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I was just coming here to post that Kohl's has the Fitbit one, Flex and another model on sale for $79.99 which is $20 off regular price. They hardly ever go on sale so this is a good deal. I really love my Fitbit one too.

Re: Bed Bath and Beyond coupon. It might not have been good for the Fit Bit anyway. I know you cannot use Kohl's coupons for the Fit Bit although I think you can use your Kohl's cash to buy it. Or maybe you can't use Kohl's cash but you earn Kohl's cash, I don't remember. Anyway that is why you really need to look for sales. Glad you nabbed one at Amazon!
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-15, 08:22 AM  
Sancho
VF Supporter

Location: My body is in Louisville but my heart is in Atlanta
Can someone help me understand why I "need" one of these? They are so popular but I can't reconcile the purpose in my mind? I workout with a heart rate monitor 5-7 days a week, so I know I'm getting good exercise. What will a fit bit do for me that a heart rate monitor doesn't already do ?
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-15, 08:47 AM  
shoegoddess

The fitbit motivates me to get off my rear end. If I don't get in 10000 steps per day and if I'm close I'll walk around the house until it clicks over to 10000. You can set it up to sync with Weight Watchers etools and loseit.com. I disconnected it from etools yesterday because it was giving me crazy amounts of fit points and I didn't want to be tempted to eat them. It also tracks sleep and I think when synced to loseit it also tracks food calories. I also use a polar heart rate monitor and log my workout and calories burned into my fitbit dashboard. I've used a fitbit for years. Don't remember what the first model was called but I had that until it stopped working then I bought the Ultra and now the One. I like the kind that clips to my bra. Its just another fitness tool to keep me moving and motivated. And somewhat obsessed

I'm not a typical grandma!

Body by Cathe, Chalene and Dr. Niccole
-Me

A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Well-behaved women seldom make history
-Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Women are Angels
And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...we are flexible like that
-White Witch

Gotta love Maxine:
http://forum.videofitness.com/pictur...&pictureid=230
shoegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-15, 09:36 AM  
momofcha

OK, I have a fitbit one and I really like it. I caved on the black Friday deal on the one with the HR and I can't tell you how horrible it was. I wore both for a week to determine accuracy and each day the charge was higher in steps by over 2,000 compared to my one. I also wore it and my HR monitor while doing a short workout. My HR monitor showed my HR at 165 and the charge was 82. There's no way it's worth the money.

anyone else have this experience?

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-15, 09:56 AM  
kalliope999

I love my Fitbit One also, and like that you can either clip it to your bra (it's just an automatic part of getting dressed to me now), or can take it out of the clip to slide in a pocket. Hope you love yours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
Can someone help me understand why I "need" one of these? They are so popular but I can't reconcile the purpose in my mind? I workout with a heart rate monitor 5-7 days a week, so I know I'm getting good exercise. What will a fit bit do for me that a heart rate monitor doesn't already do ?
It's more about tracking a total of daily movement rather than just workout movement. Since it seems that how much we move throughout the day might be more important than how hard we work out for an hour, it's a nice way to keep an eye on that. It will calculate how many calories it thinks you've burned in your entire day, and if you're a calorie tracker, you can sync it with MyFitnessPal (so if you had a high activity day, it would then allow you to eat more while still hitting your target deficit).

I think it's really interesting information! It's fun to see how much we walk on vacation, or how little I walk on the weekends (!), or how occasionally I have a really high step day because I pace while on the phone with my family . Or that I have higher activity on days when I'm cleaning the house than when I work out and take a walk to the store.

I also put it in the wristband each night to track my sleep. Install the Fitbit app on your smartphone if you have one; it's very good and allows you to see the detailed statistics when you're away from a computer.
Old 12-14-15, 10:44 AM  
raeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofcha View Post
OK, I have a fitbit one and I really like it. I caved on the black Friday deal on the one with the HR and I can't tell you how horrible it was. I wore both for a week to determine accuracy and each day the charge was higher in steps by over 2,000 compared to my one. I also wore it and my HR monitor while doing a short workout. My HR monitor showed my HR at 165 and the charge was 82. There's no way it's worth the money.

anyone else have this experience?
The wrist worn trackers will count more steps because of arm movements, however some are way worse than others. Fitbit charges are actually not too terrible in that department. I just tested the new garmin vivosmart hr last week and it was terrible recording arm movement. It gave me over 700 steps washing my face, taking my shower, and brushing my hair. Was crazy! Then I was busy cleaning in my kitchen and washing tons of dishes all morning and it yelled at me to get off my butt and get moving. At that point I was done with it. Fitbit isn't perfect, but it is definitely one of the best. During workouts the hr reading is rather crappy for sure. I would never trust it for accurate workout readings for my heart rate, I use my polar m400 and h7 strap for that. It is very accurate reading heart rate outside of workouts though. Comparing to my h7 while sitting around and casual walking, it's just fine. It just depends on what you are looking to get out of it. My hubby and I are waiting for our local stores to get the new polar a360 in stock to test out. It does hr readings on the wrist, or you can also connect the h7 strap to it for more accurate readings during actual workouts.
raeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-15, 10:58 AM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by raeven View Post
The wrist worn trackers will count more steps because of arm movements, however some are way worse than others. Fitbit charges are actually not too terrible in that department. I just tested the new garmin vivosmart hr last week and it was terrible recording arm movement. It gave me over 700 steps washing my face, taking my shower, and brushing my hair. Was crazy! Then I was busy cleaning in my kitchen and washing tons of dishes all morning and it yelled at me to get off my butt and get moving. At that point I was done with it. Fitbit isn't perfect, but it is definitely one of the best. During workouts the hr reading is rather crappy for sure. I would never trust it for accurate workout readings for my heart rate, I use my polar m400 and h7 strap for that. It is very accurate reading heart rate outside of workouts though. Comparing to my h7 while sitting around and casual walking, it's just fine. It just depends on what you are looking to get out of it. My hubby and I are waiting for our local stores to get the new polar a360 in stock to test out. It does hr readings on the wrist, or you can also connect the h7 strap to it for more accurate readings during actual workouts.
I monitored my HR on a random time too, just sitting around, or when I was walking. It was constantly in the 80 range. I'm back to my ONE and it's working, so I'm not sure why I wanted a different one.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-15, 10:58 AM  
Mollie F.
VF Supporter

My favorite thing about my Fitbit is that it tracks sleep. I have a much better idea of how much sleep I need, how quickly I fall asleep, and how well I sleep during the night. I've found that sleeping well is important to me in all manner of ways--being able to focus and work well, as well as in terms of weight loss strategies.

Tags
fitbit