Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-21-13, 10:03 AM  
isebelleg44

Has Anyone Revisited P90X2?

I know a lot of us were disappointed in this set, myself included. I am thinking about pulling it out again. I have been feeling beat up lately and this set sounds like it has all aspects for a more balanced fitness program.

Has anyone completed a rotation?

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-13, 10:07 AM  
Fitstick

No, i finally got rid of mine. I couldn't warm up to it!
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-13, 10:10 AM  
andtckrtoo

I really love P90X2 and how it's structured.
Old 02-21-13, 10:29 AM  
mtngoat

I have been thinking about giving P90X2 another try (I couldn't warm up to it either, largely because the balance challenges prevented my getting a thorough workout).

I have been doing Horizontal Conditioning sections as add-ons for the last several months. I hope that this will make P90X2 more do-able for me. If so, I may try to do a complete rotation. (I don't know if the HC skills are transferable to P90X2 - that's what I need to find out.)

I have a lot of workouts on the go, however, including XTrain, so the P90X2 rotation wouldn't be for a couple of months.

Lacey (trying to convince Brent to take a Pilates class): C'mon Brent, don't you want to unify your mind and body?
Brent: Nah. I'm not gonna put all my eggs in one basket.
Corner Gas Season1 Episode 3 "Pilates Twist"
mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-13, 10:41 AM  
tonus

I completed two rotations last year, and I really liked it. But I was one of those who liked it from the beginning. I also bought the add on workouts. The second time I did the rotation, I did a 90 day Phase II using the addon workouts. That way I got the new core intensive workouts sandwiched around a more traditional P90X rotation.
tonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-13, 12:50 PM  
EnglishIvy

I liked P90X2 from the beginning and I actually still consider it to be an "unsung gem". I haven't revisited it due to time constraints but am hoping to do a rotation in the fall. I'm not sure if I'll modify/shorten it. I tend to get the best results during 60-90 day rotations but I have so many interesting activities competing. My work schedule has made it tough so I'm also trying to add more 30 minute programs to my collection.

I think Tony did such a great job with this program. I think people expected something else and were put off by the switch. But I also think this program really highlights the training deficits/weaknesses in traditional isolation work. You can pump fairly heavy weights and still easily lack the core strength and coordination to maneuver your body in an unstable setting. People who normally think of themselves as very fit (as in those coming out of P90X) might have had a wake-up call they didn't care for because a lot of the moves in P90X2 send you back to fitness kindergarten But I think that leaves room for the greatest payoff and makes for a killer hybrid program with P90X. Hopefully, Tony will get full kudos over the years as people stop trying to force it into the P90X hole and appreciate the unique benefits of the other "sibling". It can be very tough in the beginning as you acclimate to the moves but there is a whole new intoxicating level of strength waiting that will improve all other activities.

There really is no other program like P90X2. The Horizontal Conditioning Workouts have some of the elements but aren't nearly as balanced or well thought out. Though I still have a huge bias towards suspension training (ST), I sort of think of P90X2 as a good sub for someone who might want that type of training but doesn't have room or access for a ST.
EnglishIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-13, 12:58 PM  
horusosiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishIvy View Post

There really is no other program like P90X2. The Horizontal Conditioning Workouts have some of the elements but aren't nearly as balanced or well thought out. Though I still have a huge bias towards suspension training (ST), I sort of think of P90X2 as a good sub for someone who might want that type of training but doesn't have room or access for a ST.
I so agree! I did one round of P90x2 when it was first released and I loved it. I plan to do another round this Spring. There is nothing like Suspension training and P90X2. I add in HC workouts every now and then but as English Ivy said, suspension training really is superior.
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-13, 01:11 PM  
Yelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishIvy View Post
I liked P90X2 from the beginning and I actually still consider it to be an "unsung gem". I haven't revisited it due to time constraints but am hoping to do a rotation in the fall. I'm not sure if I'll modify/shorten it. I tend to get the best results during 60-90 day rotations but I have so many interesting activities competing. My work schedule has made it tough so I'm also trying to add more 30 minute programs to my collection.

I think Tony did such a great job with this program. I think people expected something else and were put off by the switch. But I also think this program really highlights the training deficits/weaknesses in traditional isolation work. You can pump fairly heavy weights and still easily lack the core strength and coordination to maneuver your body in an unstable setting. People who normally think of themselves as very fit (as in those coming out of P90X) might have had a wake-up call they didn't care for because a lot of the moves in P90X2 send you back to fitness kindergarten But I think that leaves room for the greatest payoff and makes for a killer hybrid program with P90X. Hopefully, Tony will get full kudos over the years as people stop trying to force it into the P90X hole and appreciate the unique benefits of the other "sibling". It can be very tough in the beginning as you acclimate to the moves but there is a whole new intoxicating level of strength waiting that will improve all other activities.

Wow - you described this so well, EnglishIvy! I might consider this one for the future - it sounds really interesting
Yelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-13, 02:27 PM  
isebelleg44

Thanks everyone for your feedback! I only made it through the phase one workouts and remember really liking them. I just got scared of push ups on 4 medicine ball thing!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
Old 02-21-13, 03:00 PM  
isebelleg44

Does anyone have the two add on dvds? I didn't see any reviews and they seem pricey for two dvds.

Tags
p90x2, p90x2 results