Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-20-10, 09:40 PM  
tokyosophia

CLX vs. P90X-Help me decide

I am trying to decide between CLX vs P90X, but after reading all the great reviews for the two am having a hard time deciding...unfortunately can only buy one at this time. Have done the slim series and slim and six and had good results, but both of these instructers are new to me. I am hoping to slim down and get back in shape after a bit of a fitness break.

Any suggestions? Preferences for one over the other? Thanks in advance for your insight!
tokyosophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-10, 09:44 PM  
gmfreund
VF Supporter

I've done both and I liked both. To my mind, the biggest difference between them is the length of the workouts -- CLX workouts are much shorter than P90X. They're all between 35 and 50 minutes IIRC -- P90X are all pretty much an hour long (and yogaX is 90 minutes long).

Now, I realize that they're actually two very different sets in a bunch of ways, but the time factor is what would help me decide whether I was going to do one or the other if I had to choose.

Gwynn F.
gmfreund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-10, 10:22 PM  
Fitstick

They are totally different. I would say P90x as a system is more challenging and complete than CLX. If I had to pick only 1 system, I would go with P90x..
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-10, 11:01 PM  
cardiomama

Both programs have their pros & cons depending on the user's perceptions. CLX packs a punch in shorter workouts and that can be motivating for many people to continue w/ the rotation, it was for me. P90X is more difficult, mentally & physically, than CLX due to the more complex exercises, sequencing of exercises & longer duration of time for the workouts. I have compiled some of the similarities & differences between the two programs. Both can allow you to reach your goals, it really just depends on what your preferences are for a new exercise regimen. Best of luck in whatever you decide on.

CLX
Geared towards people of any level of fitness (beginner+)
Can use resistance bands or dumbbells for resistance
5-days-a week (3 days resistance, 2 days cardio + abs one day, stretch the other day), 90 day rotation of 3 phases
Each phase has 3 different resistance circuit workouts (month 1/Burn & month 3/Lean focus on rep range of 10-12 reps for resistance exercises, month 2/Push 6-8 reps )
Rotate 2 abs & cardio workouts throughout the rotation w/ basic set (unless you purchase the deluxe workouts to sub in)
Cardio workouts- athletic cardio for both, one is intervals of cardio & light resistance exercises to focus on muscular endurance, the other is just cardio (drills of jumping jacks, plyo, speed skaters, burpees, mountain climbers)
Resistance workouts- 3 total per week, have different focus for each day for upper body (shoulders, bis/tris/back, shoulders/chest/core, chest/back, shoulders/back), but lower body is worked w/ each one
Good cueing, instruction, set & music, modifier for lower intensity & impact in all exercises
cardio workouts duration of time- 27 min., 46 min., stretch/yoga 20 min.
Resistance workouts duration of time 32 min- 44 min. (most are 32 & 36 min. long)
thorough fitness & nutrition guide

P90X
Geared towards advanced exercisers (high intermediate would be fine, too)
Can use resistance bands or dumbbells for resistance, need pull-up bar, yoga blocks & mat helpful, too
6-days-a-week rotation (7th day optional can be rest day or stretch, 3 days resistance, 2 cardio & 1 yoga per week), 90 days (3 phases)
Each phase consists of 3 weeks of regular workouts (resistance, cardio & yoga), followed by 1 week of recovery (more yoga, kenpo,stretch, no resistance workouts)
Phase 1 & 2 mix in some different resistance workouts, but the 2 cardio (plyo & kenpo), 1 abs & yoga are the same throughout the rotation, phase 3 alternates the sequence of phase 1 & 2's workouts
Resistance workouts are about an hour long and have a different focus per day (chest & back, shoulders & arms, legs & back, chest/shoulders/triceps, back & biceps), as are the cardios, ab ripper X about 15 min, yoga 1.5 hours
3 types of rotations to follow- Classic (3 days of resistance, 3 cardio, 1 yoga), Doubles (same basic set-up as Classic, but additional Cardio X workouts are sequenced in phase 2 & 3) & Lean (2 resistance days, 1 Core syn, yoga, & easier cardio/ no plyo).
Set is dark/ industrial gym, instruction & form pointers is excellent, rock music is awesome, there is a modifier for some exercises
Rep range, either 8-10 reps for muscle growth or 12-15 reps for muscular endurance/leaner look, chosen by user (not like CLX, where Chalene instructs you which rep range to do)
Thorough fitness & nutrition guide
cardiomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-10, 11:18 PM  
msladybug

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiomama View Post
Both programs have their pros & cons depending on the user's perceptions. CLX packs a punch in shorter workouts and that can be motivating for many people to continue w/ the rotation, it was for me. P90X is more difficult, mentally & physically, than CLX due to the more complex exercises, sequencing of exercises & longer duration of time for the workouts. I have compiled some of the similarities & differences between the two programs. Both can allow you to reach your goals, it really just depends on what your preferences are for a new exercise regimen. Best of luck in whatever you decide on.

CLX
Geared towards people of any level of fitness (beginner+)
Can use resistance bands or dumbbells for resistance
5-days-a week (3 days resistance, 2 days cardio + abs one day, stretch the other day), 90 day rotation of 3 phases
Each phase has 3 different resistance circuit workouts (month 1/Burn & month 3/Lean focus on rep range of 10-12 reps for resistance exercises, month 2/Push 6-8 reps )
Rotate 2 abs & cardio workouts throughout the rotation w/ basic set (unless you purchase the deluxe workouts to sub in)
Cardio workouts- athletic cardio for both, one is intervals of cardio & light resistance exercises to focus on muscular endurance, the other is just cardio (drills of jumping jacks, plyo, speed skaters, burpees, mountain climbers)
Resistance workouts- 3 total per week, have different focus for each day for upper body (shoulders, bis/tris/back, shoulders/chest/core, chest/back, shoulders/back), but lower body is worked w/ each one
Good cueing, instruction, set & music, modifier for lower intensity & impact in all exercises
cardio workouts duration of time- 27 min., 46 min., stretch/yoga 20 min.
Resistance workouts duration of time 32 min- 44 min. (most are 32 & 36 min. long)
thorough fitness & nutrition guide

P90X
Geared towards advanced exercisers (high intermediate would be fine, too)
Can use resistance bands or dumbbells for resistance, need pull-up bar, yoga blocks & mat helpful, too
6-days-a-week rotation (7th day optional can be rest day or stretch, 3 days resistance, 2 cardio & 1 yoga per week), 90 days (3 phases)
Each phase consists of 3 weeks of regular workouts (resistance, cardio & yoga), followed by 1 week of recovery (more yoga, kenpo,stretch, no resistance workouts)
Phase 1 & 2 mix in some different resistance workouts, but the 2 cardio (plyo & kenpo), 1 abs & yoga are the same throughout the rotation, phase 3 alternates the sequence of phase 1 & 2's workouts
Resistance workouts are about an hour long and have a different focus per day (chest & back, shoulders & arms, legs & back, chest/shoulders/triceps, back & biceps), as are the cardios, ab ripper X about 15 min, yoga 1.5 hours
3 types of rotations to follow- Classic (3 days of resistance, 3 cardio, 1 yoga), Doubles (same basic set-up as Classic, but additional Cardio X workouts are sequenced in phase 2 & 3) & Lean (2 resistance days, 1 Core syn, yoga, & easier cardio/ no plyo).
Set is dark/ industrial gym, instruction & form pointers is excellent, rock music is awesome, there is a modifier for some exercises
Rep range, either 8-10 reps for muscle growth or 12-15 reps for muscular endurance/leaner look, chosen by user (not like CLX, where Chalene instructs you which rep range to do)
Thorough fitness & nutrition guide
Excellant summary.
msladybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-10, 07:33 AM  
DachsieDogMom

I choose CLX because the length of the workouts are shorter then P90X. I'm happy with CLX.
DachsieDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-10, 08:05 AM  
noraW

I would recommend CLX if you are coming from Slim in 6. I actually went from slim in 6 to CLX and CLX was a great introduction to strength training without feeling overwhelmed or burnt out. My husband did a P90X rotation while I did CLX and personally going from Si6 to P90X might have been too much for me. Once I completed CLX and confirmed I was in love with weight training and lifting heavy along with an increase in time commitment, I moved to STS (just my perferance again, could've easily been P90X as it is also a great program) I think CLX, although not an easy program, prepares you for advanced rotations.

IIRC, CLX only does one set of each exercise, and she sets the amount of reps. If you lift heavy enough, that is all you need. In P90X, sets are repeated and the reps are set by user as cardiomama pointed out.

All in all, I do not regret purchasing CLX because if I ever have a time when I cannot commit 1 hr plus of working out each morning, I know I can still get a good workout from this program in a short amount of time.

Don't mean to be an enabler, but having both wouldn't be a bad thing

Good luck with your decision, I don't think you'll be disappointed either way!
noraW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-10, 04:24 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by msladybug View Post
Excellant summary.
I agree!

I prefer CLX (I traded away P90X) because of the shorter workouts and just that as has been mentioned this is a more intermediate (less advanced) program.
Old 04-21-10, 05:30 PM  
gigi

Do CLX the way Debbie S. does it when you want to make it more advanced...I'll be giving that a go one of these days...maybe when I finish my BBL rotation!

Tags
clx, clx rotations, p90x, p90x rotations