Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion > Workout/Fitness FAQs

Old 05-10-02, 08:46 AM  
nappentass

Re: What makes me get up?

Quote:
Originally posted by SharonNYC
Easy -- my cat. He trashes the apartment like Godzilla marching through Tokyo until I get up and feed him. Oh, and he's a very early riser.

Thanks Sharon, my friend had a cat like that - he'd even charge and head butt doors to wake folk up, cos he had to be fed at 6:30 on the dot!

J
nappentass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-02, 09:08 AM  
nappentass

Thanks Everyone

Thanks everyone for your insights

Elisa S - I'll check out the AM Converts Check ins.

Janick - I know the snooze button thing - I can't figure out why I feel wide awake when the alarm goes off, then the next thing I know its an hour later (yesterday I even had my head laid on my mobile, which has vibrate & alarm snoozes - didn't wake me!)

Cynthis, Sophie & Joni - I knowI'll soon get into the pattern as I need the regular endorphin boost, I need to get it established now the lighter mornings are here before winter darkness is back again

Barb - the amount of sleep needed is probably a big factor, I'll experiment with it and hey - after all what are vcr's for?

Terri - I think I'll have to put one of my alarms where I have to get up to it, thanks

J
nappentass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-02, 09:19 AM  
jaj999
VF Supporter

I have a lamp on a timer so there's a light on my bedroom when I want to get up. It helps, although in the winter I'm an evening exerciser. During the summer I find it much easier to get up and work out early.
Old 05-10-02, 09:20 AM  
Dawn
VF Supporter

I've always been an AM exerciser although the past year or so it has been harder and harder for me to get up early. I usually lay in bed asking myself if I would have time later in the day to workout and most of the time the answer is NO and the thought of missing my workout because I was too lazy to get up makes me jump out of bed ready to go. Some days I do decide to sleep in but then I dread coming home from work and working out because I work in retail and I'm on my feet 6 hours a day and I'm tired when I get home and I'm ready to just sit down and relax for a little while.

Hang in there, it will get easier the more you do it.

Dawn H.
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-02, 09:25 AM  
tlcoles
VF Supporter

Another born early bird here...

...but even so, I get to bed by 10 p.m. to ensure a good night's rest. A not-so-early friend of mine used to put his alarm clock across the room AND place obstacles in his way. Uh, I don't recommend this method.

Barb, I absolutely LOVE Law & Order. Once A&E moves The View from it's 7 p.m. time slot (what were they thinking?!), I won't even have to be tempted by the later broadcast of L&O.

Tammi
Old 05-10-02, 10:32 AM  
Tami S.
VF Supporter

What's worked for me.

Here's a list of what's working for me (most of the time!) I've been working out in the morning since December after almost 9 years of working out in the afternoon. I get up between 5:30 and 5:45.
  • Sunrise alarm clock
    This works wonders. It slowly brightens the room allowing me to wake up gradually. (Thanks Renee!!!)
  • Sleeping in my workout clothes (it works and yes, I'm still doing it)
    Although this is not my husband's favorite trick for me, I feel rather silly when I have all my workout clothes on and I decide not to workout.
  • Going to bed early
    I start winding down around 8:30. I need 8-9 hours sleep so it's really important that I get to bed early. I'm finding I can go to bed later and still workout now that it's become more of a habit.
  • Buying new videos (tee hee hee)
    Nothing motivates me more than a fun new workout, but I usually do it for the first time on a weekend. I find I don't like to do a video that isn't worth my time. I'm especially picky in the AM.
  • Shorter videos
    I find I do more shorter workouts in the morning. Also, when I first converted, I did only videos that I knew very well, or were a lot of fun. You really need to aclimate to morning workouts if you're used to working out in the afternoon/evening.

By now, it's really become a habit so sometimes I allow myself to sleep in and I workout in the evening. I did that this morning.

And feel free to join our AM Convert Check-In on Sunday! That's really motivating too. We have a wonderful group of very supportive people there.
Tami S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-02, 11:14 AM  
shannonb

Do any of the other AM exercisers have a problem with feeling sick if they exercise in the morning? I used to exercise in the morning all the time, and then (after falling off the wagon for a while) when I started exercising again, I had a lot of problems working out in the morning. When I work out in the morning I get very light-headed and dizzy, my heartrate goes up way too high, and I have ended up dry heaving before (sorry, tmi). However, I can do more of the same workout with heavier weights in the late afternoon/evening with no problems whatsoever. I don't know if it is low blood sugar or low blood pressure or what in the morning. I warm up, but I don't eat or drink anything before my AM workouts (never did). I don't think I could eat or drink anything beforehand, because that does make me sick (and since I would have to get up at 5 am anyway to exercise in the AM, I don't want to tack on another 30 minutes for digestion). Anyone else have these problems? Anyone have any ideas? (my mom suggested eating a spoonful of sugar before I work out, but I don't know if I could do that. Mmmm, sugar. The breakfast of champions. )
shannonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-02, 11:30 AM  
lounsbury
VF Supporter

I still can't figure out what gets me up in the AM...

I guess it's a combination of things for me. My whole attitude seems to be different lately -- not just where working out is concerned, either. I've never, ever, ever been a morning person!

The suggestions Tami gave are great -- I also sleep in my workout clothes and that's been a big help. And I only use videos that I absolutely love, or at least like a lot. But there's got to be more to it than that...

I've always been a major procrastinator, and my attitude in that respect has changed overall, not just where workouts are concerned. That's probably due largely to flylady.net.

I'm finally getting some visible and measurable results, too -- I've lost about 8 lbs. in the past 5 months. (A very slow pace, I know, and a welcome result, but it wasn't something I was conciously trying to do.)

The sense of accomplishment I get after completing a workout and monitoring my progress is a great motivator, too -- but you don't have to be an AM exerciser for that.

I guess another (or maybe the) main reason I've been able to stick to AM workouts this time (please note, I've tried this a number of times before!) is that I've finally realized that at this point in my life, first thing in the morning is the only time I can consistently fit in a workout. So, as Joni O and Nike say, I "just do it." Kinda ties in with the anti-procrastination thing...

Best wishes, and please join us in the AM converts check-in!

I thought of that while riding my bike. ~Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity
lounsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-02, 11:38 AM  
Tami S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally posted by shannonb
Do any of the other AM exercisers have a problem with feeling sick if they exercise in the morning? I used to exercise in the morning all the time, and then (after falling off the wagon for a while) when I started exercising again, I had a lot of problems working out in the morning. When I work out in the morning I get very light-headed and dizzy, my heartrate goes up way too high, and I have ended up dry heaving before (sorry, tmi). However, I can do more of the same workout with heavier weights in the late afternoon/evening with no problems whatsoever. I don't know if it is low blood sugar or low blood pressure or what in the morning. I warm up, but I don't eat or drink anything before my AM workouts (never did). I don't think I could eat or drink anything beforehand, because that does make me sick (and since I would have to get up at 5 am anyway to exercise in the AM, I don't want to tack on another 30 minutes for digestion). Anyone else have these problems? Anyone have any ideas? (my mom suggested eating a spoonful of sugar before I work out, but I don't know if I could do that. Mmmm, sugar. The breakfast of champions. )
Maybe you were dehydrated? I drink at least 8 oz of water before I workout in the morning.
Tami S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-02, 12:13 PM  
waterbug62
VF Supporter

Oh those early morning hours

Well, I can agree with everyone who has responded to your post...ie: if I don't exercise in the morning I won't do it later in the day, I feel better throughout the day when I exercise early, etc...but I think the biggest help for me is that when my alarm goes off at 5:30am OR better yet, when my body just happens to wake up a few minutes before the alarm goes off, I remind myself that even if I DID go back to sleep, it wouldn't be a good sleep. Most of the time if I am a slug and don't get up I just lay there anyway, not sleeping, so...might as well get up! Does that make sense? It has really helped me. I tell ya, soon as I put my feet on the floor (the hardest part) I feel like I've accomplished something! And sleeping in your exercise clothes? Wow, what a great idea! I'll have to try it! Good luck!
waterbug62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flylady, morning exercise, motivation, workout time of day