Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-04-01, 04:57 PM  
Lenore Levine
VF Supporter

What's wrong with muscles?

I've been reading a lot of posts in which people say they don't do a lot of strength work, because it's not right for their body type. That is, if they do this work, they get a lot of muscles.

Is this a health issue or an appearance issue? I've been wondering about this, because I've found that I grow muscles easily. They look natural and feminine on my curvy, stocky body, they burn calories, and they make me feel competent and powerful. Am I doing something wrong?
Lenore Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-01, 05:15 PM  
kimlav
VF Supporter

doing everything right if you ask me

Hi there

I am with you. Muscles and definition come fairly easily to me and I love them - the more the better. I feel strong and healthy and that is what is important. Some of my friends think I am too muscular but I could care less because I would rather have too many muscles than too much fat.

You go girl.

Kim Laviolette
kimlav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-01, 05:16 PM  
DJ*
VF Supporter

Thumbs up I'm with you!!!

I love my muscles, and will proudly flex them for anyone!
DJ* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-01, 05:21 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Lenore, I like mine.

I'm not interested in spending a bunch of time dedicated to building sheer muscle mass -- I'm more a functional fitness type -- but I must admit that I'm a little vain about my muscle definition.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-01, 05:25 PM  
Sharonm
VF Supporter

Not a thing wrong with muscle, it's a personal preference maybe. I build muscle easily and love the way it looks. I feel strong and confident plus, I know it's helping my bones stay stronger.

ACE Group Fitness Instructor
Fit 4 Life
Sharonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-01, 05:27 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

I love 'em

I'll take whatever muscles I can get. I don't think you're doing anything wrong, Lenore. Up with muscles!
Old 12-04-01, 05:30 PM  
ronnee
VF Supporter

Love 'em too

I'm constantly making my DH feel my "flex." I love my muscles for vanity and strength. Hear us roar!

Ronnee
ronnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-01, 05:32 PM  
Daphne M

Love those muscles

I love the look of muscles, but will admit to occasional self-consciousness when someone comments on my arms. I build size there easily and worry that I might start looking Popeye-ish if I'm not careful. I am a little ashamed to 'fess up to this fear, but there it is ... when friends start calling you "Arnold," you gotta worry.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-01, 06:17 PM  
Crescent Moon
VF Supporter

Muscles are beautiful!

I do the best with what I have, and I have a body that's eager to develop muscularity. I use this trait to my advantage and consider it an asset (I would drive myself crazy if I tried to fight it).
Crescent Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-01, 06:21 PM  
RovinUSA
VF Supporter

Muscle is great!

Hi everybody,

I am one of the ones who has been posting about working out according to body type, but I never meant to give the impression that I don't think muscle is good, or that I like the waif look (like I could ever look waif-like even if I wanted to LOL!) I have a lot of muscle and I like it (well, you can't see it in my picture here maybe, but that was a while ago, before I restarted weight-lifting and discovered the Firm ;-). All I am trying to accomplish is a more balanced physique, which in my case means heavier weights for my upper body so it matches my lower body, which in my case is very muscular already with very little effort. All I really need to do there is keep it firm and sculpted, not increase the size. Due to my genetics, I am very strong and can look more muscular than some of you who do Standing Legs or Cathe tapes regularly, without doing nearly that much work. I guess I should look on the bright side,huh. But please understand that my legs are not skinny by any means, even when I am underweight. My lean body mass when weighed 120 was very high - over 100 lb. - and I am only 5 ft. 4. I have read that for my height, the average range is like 85 to 92 lb. This was prior to Firming or using any weights (upper or lower) higher than 5 lb.

If I do tallbox and weighted standing leg work, I get very, very muscular and look out of proportion (even a personal trainer told me this), and the fact that my legs are short compared to my torso emphasizes this. So when I talk about not wanting bulky legs, I mean very large in comparison to the rest of me. Like, not being able to wear slim fit or even regular fit jeans even when I was a size 3. I have to find relaxed fits with a long rise so they fit over my thighs and butt (and when I was this size, there was very little excess fat on me, so it was not a diet issue at all).

All I am striving for is a balanced, muscular but not body-builder look. I will admit that some of the girls in Muscle and Fitness Hers and on ESPN's fitness competitions are too muscular looking for my taste. I'm not after that look. I think asthetics are still important, and so are the wishes of my husband. I could put on more muscle very easily and would probably have a higher metabolism, but then I'd be hungrier and eat more so I don't see what good it would do me. My metabolism is plenty high already - that's not the problem. My appetite is the problem LOL! But my current amount of muscle allows me to eat plenty of the right kind of foods for good nutrition, so I rather doubt that my health would improve much if I added more muscle. I am strong and active, I have a large frame and probably plenty of bone mass, and except for the excess weight that I am currently in the process of shedding, I think I am in excellent health.

Hope I didn't make anybody feel bad about having muscles. I sure didn't mean to!

Shelley
RovinUSA is offline   Reply With Quote