Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-19, 06:57 PM  
Tugger31

Question Neck Fusion Surgery

Has anyone had this surgery to fix herniated discs in your neck? If so, what was your experience and what limitations do you know have if you are months/years after your surgery. Thanks.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-19, 08:02 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

I had neck fusion surgery about 10 years ago to remove a bone spur that was causing my arm to go numb. They had to fuse the C6 and C7, I believe - but it could have been the C6 and C5.

In any event, my surgery was great - it immediately relieved my pain. I took it easy for a month or so and eventually resumed my normal activities. I have a little bit of restriction of movement in my neck when I turn it side to side. And I'm not supposed to lift more than 10 lbs over my head.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-19, 08:41 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

One of my Essentrics class participants had a neck fusion. She is my age (52) and it did alleviate a lot of her neck pain. She really likes doing Essentrics...no weights, etc.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-19, 09:48 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

My husband had an anterior 3-level fusion 3 years ago. He had lost much of the movement in his left arm and had significant muscle wasting in his pectorals and deltoids.

I'll spare you the long story, but after months of physical therapy for a "rotator cuff injury" with no improvement--let me tell you, this nurse KNEW it was nerve damage but met a brick wall with the docs and insurance--he finally got an MRI and saw a neurosurgeon. He was booked for surgery THE NEXT WEEK--this in a place where people wait months for elective stuff.
He had herniations as well as bone spurs that were causing the nerve pressure resulting in muscle wasting and loss of strength.

The surgery was over 5 hours long but he was only in the hospital overnight. Minimal pain from the incision and almost immediate relief of pain/numbness/tingling in his arm.

The hardest part of recovery wasn't wearing the horse collar/bone stimulator for 6 hours a day for 6 weeks afterward, or the neck brace. It was swallowing. His throat was very sore for almost 3 weeks post op, and swallowing big pills like vitamins was difficult for a few months.

All that said, he had excellent results, return of range of motion and most strength to his arm, although he still gets a stiff neck from time to time.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-19, 03:16 AM  
Tugger31

I'm supposed to be having this surgery soon but I'm having minimal pain, just intermittent tingling and at the time I saw the surgeon, having some weakness in my triceps and loss of sensation in my dominant hand. That was two weeks ago and I'm feeling a bit better now. So I wonder if I'm jumping the gun. However I also am not working out. I'm wondering if I give it more time and get back to slowly working out I'll be fine or if I'm just going to end up where I am now. I have some stenosis where the nerve leaves the spinal cord so that's not going to improve. I guess part is fear and part is feeling worse after the procedure especially when I'm not doing too bad right now
Old 09-22-19, 09:47 AM  
suzannaerin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
I'm supposed to be having this surgery soon but I'm having minimal pain, just intermittent tingling and at the time I saw the surgeon, having some weakness in my triceps and loss of sensation in my dominant hand. That was two weeks ago and I'm feeling a bit better now. So I wonder if I'm jumping the gun. However I also am not working out. I'm wondering if I give it more time and get back to slowly working out I'll be fine or if I'm just going to end up where I am now. I have some stenosis where the nerve leaves the spinal cord so that's not going to improve. I guess part is fear and part is feeling worse after the procedure especially when I'm not doing too bad right now
Get a second opinion and best wishes.
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-19, 11:24 AM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzannaerin View Post
Get a second opinion and best wishes.
I agree. I would also ask the surgeon what outcome you can expect. (S)he will most likely hedge but ask what the minimum improvement you should see and what activities you’ll be able to do and what permanent limitations you should expect.

Have you at least been given stretches to do? Are you being seen by PT?

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-19, 11:48 AM  
Tugger31

Yes, I've done steroids, PT, stretches.
Old 09-22-19, 12:02 PM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
Yes, I've done steroids, PT, stretches.
Are you finished with your steroids? Comfortable on steroids is very different than comfortable off of them. Same thing where pain meds are concerned. Have you continued your PT stretches and exercises?

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
herniated disc