Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-16-19, 08:03 AM  
flamingoo

Need help starting again...

Hi everyone...I literally don't know where the past two years went. Life has not been easy and my exercise habits have been pretty much non existent. I could really use some help/recommendations for getting my butt going again. I have a some what physical and repetitive job. I'm looking for shorter workouts or something that can be split up. I recently started walking again, only for 30 minutes but hey I have to start somewhere right? I work with my hands and have been having wrist/shoulder issues due to the repetitiveness of my job so my go to yoga program just isn't happening right now. In the past I've been into Essentrics,TA( not meta) and barre,kundalini. I'm having a really hard time getting back into anything. I'm drained by the end of the day so high impact is not what my body needs right now. My youngest was diagnosed with autism last July and really hoping he will start therapy soon. Hoping to get into a routine before that starts. Sorry for rambling. Miss you all!
flamingoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-19, 08:14 AM  
alisoncooks

I'm coming off of a years-long dry spell myself. After the new year, I started doing Jane Adams yoga sporadically. In March/April, I began using her videos regularly/daily. From there, over the summer, I began adding 10-minute strength to the yoga videos (10 minute solution Target Toning and Suzanne Bowen's Weight Watcher videos were my go-tos).

Now I am up to 30-min strength workouts 3x a week. Mostly KCM, but some Barre/Pilates. Whatever I feel like doing, as long as I'm moving. I still try to yoga on my other days because I *neeeed* it.

But I credit Jane's yoga with my comeback. Not because there's anything magical about her stuff, but because I enjoyed it so much that it was easy to build the habit. Hope you find what sparks your joy! (And I hope therapy goes wonderfully for your kiddo!)
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-19, 09:19 AM  
goldengirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
I'm coming off of a years-long dry spell myself. After the new year, I started doing Jane Adams yoga sporadically. In March/April, I began using her videos regularly/daily. From there, over the summer, I began adding 10-minute strength to the yoga videos (10 minute solution Target Toning and Suzanne Bowen's Weight Watcher videos were my go-tos).

Now I am up to 30-min strength workouts 3x a week. Mostly KCM, but some Barre/Pilates. Whatever I feel like doing, as long as I'm moving. I still try to yoga on my other days because I *neeeed* it.

But I credit Jane's yoga with my comeback. Not because there's anything magical about her stuff, but because I enjoyed it so much that it was easy to build the habit. Hope you find what sparks your joy! (And I hope therapy goes wonderfully for your kiddo!)
May I ask which Jane Adams workouts you used? I also need to re-start my exercise program.
goldengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-19, 09:59 AM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengirl View Post
May I ask which Jane Adams workouts you used? I also need to re-start my exercise program.
Of course! I used a lot of the workouts on the "Gentle Yoga" DVD. That's my fave.

I also used the seated Upper Body and the Gentle Chair Strength from her "Balance & Strength" DVD. That upper body is great for when you want a little strength work but don't feel up to anything strenuous.
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-19, 11:09 AM  
bubbles76

For restarting, I always recommend the Powerfits. They are easy to adjust up or down, on the shorter side, and have controlled movements. Stephanie Huckabee is also very calm and encouraging. If you want someone a little perkier, I also like Kathy Smith. Her personality just makes me want to work out with her . I also like Margaret Richard's Unplugged series. Very calming, easy to adjust up or down. She does do some floor work, so I'm not sure if she would be best for your hands and wrists, come to think of it.

The 10 Minute Solution workouts are also very good.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-19, 11:22 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Welcome back, it's so good to see you. {{{HUGS}}} I'm sorry you've been under a strain.

Youtube is a good source of free and short workouts. Lately I've been enjoying Up to the BEaT Fitness and Lucy Wyndham-Read. Lucy has 7 and even 4 minute workouts that you can just jump in and do without any equipment, the same exercise for one minute then another. I also like Sarah Beth Yoga and Yoga Ranger for short yoga sessions.

I recall that you liked Ravi and Ana? There's always their matrix programs for a boost.

Best wishes.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-19, 01:34 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Welcome back! I was going to suggest youtube also -- mostly because it could be fun and motivating to find things that you'd look forward to doing and because there are plenty of shorter time workouts available. In the beginning I'm thinking it doesn't really matter what you do -- it matters more that you consistently do something. Good luck!
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-19, 02:39 PM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

You might like Pahla Bowers on you tube. She has lots of beginner and intermediate workouts, including lots of 10 minute workouts that might be a good place to start. Are you on your feet all day? She has chair workouts and there are others that have them on you tube, too.

These might be worth trying.
Yoga For Hands, Fingers, Wrists | 11-Minute Yoga Quickie | Yoga With Adriene

20 Min Shoulder Stretching & Strengthening for Pain Relief - Shoulder Pain Exercises Stretches

I hope you find some workouts that work for you.

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-19, 03:34 PM  
laurajhawk

There are a few of us around here enjoying our old Gilad workouts. The TV ones - Bodies in Motion and Total Body Sculpt- have 22-minute episodes, so they’re short and pretty fun.

Good luck! It’s great that you’re getting back into some activity!

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-19, 06:09 PM  
Tugger31

The oldie but goodie, Jessica Smith's Walk Strong 6 Week Total Transformation System or Walk On 21 Day Weight Loss Plan (don't care for the name, but 4 great little workouts)
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jane adams, restarting