Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-11-19, 09:18 PM  
Judy W.

I just devoured Ruth Ware's latest, The Turn of the Key. It had amazing twists and turns, and I could hardly put it down. Highly recommended!

Judy
Judy W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-19, 11:30 PM  
Severen

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Severen did you like The Outsider? I read it last summer and enjoyed it, although I thought it was somewhat uneven. I did like the appearance of characters from Mr. Mercedes trilogy. I am trying to decide whether to read the book he wrote with his son Owen, Sleeping Beauties; I'm not sure if I would like that one.
I did like it, though I did think the last act was kind of rushed. Other than that it was pure Stephen King.
Old 08-12-19, 08:04 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severen View Post
I did like it, though I did think the last act was kind of rushed. Other than that it was pure Stephen King.
I agree with that completely!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-19, 08:53 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki64 View Post
I don't get a chance to read much and when I do, it takes me a long time to read a book. But, I recently read My Lovely Wife by Samantha Downing. She is a new author and her 1st book. It was awesome. I highly recommend if you like thrillers. Her and her husband are serial killers, told by the husband. Very well written and easy to follow. I finished it in a week, which is record time for me.
Thanks for the recommendation! I read "My Lovely Wife" in 2 or 3 days because it was so strange and interesting. I'll definitely read this author's next book.

I just started the audible version of "Where did you go, Bernadette" that was made into a movie starring Cate Blanchett that starts later this week. I wanted to listen to the book first.

I also went and saw the movie version of "Racing in the Rain" this weekend. I LOVED it! Not as much as the book but still very good. As we were walking out a couple of ladies in front of me were discussing it and said it should have been a Lifetime movie.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-19, 09:45 AM  
BunnyHop

I'm back in the mood for memoirs, lately several books by Oliver Sacks, the neurologist who wrote Awakenings. His memoir On The Move started well, but at the end it sort of disintegrated into a bunch of rambling thoughts about other friends and colleagues. Well written, thought provoking, but the narrative flow sort of collapsed so that I really didn't get a sense of the author's life in later years.
Old 08-12-19, 11:50 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
I'm back in the mood for memoirs, lately several books by Oliver Sacks, the neurologist who wrote Awakenings. His memoir On The Move started well, but at the end it sort of disintegrated into a bunch of rambling thoughts about other friends and colleagues. Well written, thought provoking, but the narrative flow sort of collapsed so that I really didn't get a sense of the author's life in later years.
I was not able to finish it for the same reasons!
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-19, 11:55 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I agree that On the Move meandered quite a bit...my sense was that it was probably consistent with Sacks' personality.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-19, 05:32 PM  
Gams

My girl friend recommended Rules for Visiting by Jessica Francis Kane. I started it today and like it very much.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-19, 05:46 PM  
anetta

I am reading The Ugly Truth by Jill Orr-it is the third book in the Riley Ellison series- I like her books good story line.

I have A Lady's Guide to Gossip and Murder by Diane Freeman.

I love the library's reserve option. It also tells you what place I am at on the reserve list.

Anita
anetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-19, 07:41 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I finally went to the local library yesterday and got a card. When we moved to NC, I moved with lots of books. I've now read most of the fiction books, and some non-fiction books, on my shelves and am running out of books. I found three books to check out and I'm reading the first one Remembrance by Mary Alice Monroe. It's pretty good. I do still have some books of my own to read, so it will be a balance act for awhile.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, reading, summer reading