Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-19, 10:28 PM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Fragrances in shampoo and conditioner don't seem to bother me...but something in styling products seems to bother my scalp. Now if I could just figure out what...
Beth, I had a problem with my scalp itching from a styling product. I read about applying the product only on the hair and not the scalp and that took care of the problem. Maybe that would be worth trying.

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-19, 10:52 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Susan, thanks! My problem is toward my front hairline (a bit back and off to the side), and I usually try to apply product to the back of my hair only--somehow it still bothers me!

Carol, I don't think I'll have to continue with the progesterone if I go into menopause, but you're right that I'll likely stay on for now. Maybe when I see my gyno in August he'll have some ideas. I'm still baffled as to why the new acne issue is only in that one place!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-19, 05:44 AM  
Carol K

Beth - My cystic acne was unusual as well. Most people have it all over their face; but mine was always only on my chin and around my nose. My cheeks and forehead were always clear, even though my forehead was always very oily. And my acne would clear up completely between breakouts, which is also unusual for cystic acne. That's why I think it was hormonal.
Old 07-01-19, 08:35 AM  
Sollamyn

Quote:
I'm again looking for mascara recommendations (insert roll eyes). Lately I've noticed that no matter which of the current ones I have that I use, the mascara seems to go on wet and to stick to the hood of my eyes (ie, under my brows) before it dries. Oddly, I've never had this problem before; maybe the hood part of my eye has started drooping more as I have gotten older.

Anyway, I'm looking for a mascara recommendation that's relatively inexpensive (drugstore availability), has a small brush, and doesn't smear. Thoughts?
Almay. It's budget-friendly and I've never had much of a problem with goopiness or flakes, etc. I wouldn't call the brush small, though. I'm not sure what you mean by that. It's just a normal brush.

Donna
Old 07-01-19, 08:39 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Donna, some mascaras have brushes that are very fat/bushy, others have smaller brushes. I prefer a smaller brush that is more tapered.

I re-purchased ELF Mineral Mascara. I used to love this but it's harder to find now, and they changed the formula at some point--last time I tried it I didn't like it. But this time it seems good so far--and it's just $3.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-19, 08:46 AM  
Sollamyn

Quote:
Donna, some mascaras have brushes that are very fat/bushy, others have smaller brushes. I prefer a smaller brush that is more tapered.

I re-purchased ELF Mineral Mascara. I used to love this but it's harder to find now, and they changed the formula at some point--last time I tried it I didn't like it. But this time it seems good so far--and it's just $3.
I think there's a picture of the brush on the backs of the Almay mascara packages. But I doubt that it's the kind you are looking for. I wouldn't call their brushes tapered at the ends. Still, I've been buying Almay mascara for years and am always disappointed when I try (very occasionally) other brands--except for Clinique. I like their mascara, but it's pricey.

Donna
Old 07-01-19, 09:41 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
I am hoping that this knowledgeable group can shed some wisdom on this issue for me! First, a little history:

I've never had a big problem with acne. In high school I had some normal teen breakouts, nothing major. I had a bit more of an issue in my early 30s and was actually using prescription meds for awhile (mostly b/c it was just before my wedding), but eventually I changed up my skincare routine (including using Stridex-type pads with salicylic acid after cleansing to get rid of any excess dirt/makeup), and that seemed to help a lot. Since then, any breakouts have been minimal, usually just a lone pimple, sometimes in the same spot (I tend to get them behind my ears along my neck!).

Now I'm 51, and for the past 6 months or so, I have been getting near-constant, recurrent breakouts on my chin. Sometimes I'll get more cyst-like pimples, but lately it's been a series of small whiteheads. It's not unusual for me to have to 2-3 at a time, and even when they disappear, they leave redness and irritation in their wake. Every time it starts to clear up and I think maybe I've licked it, it gets bad again! My skincare routine includes both BHA and AHA. I change cleansers occasionally, but there wasn't any one thing that I can think of that directly precipitated this--at least not skincare-wise. The only thing I can think of is that I started taking cyclic progesterone in January for erratic periods (I am probably in peri-menopause). I'm not sure how much of a factor that might be if at all.

Any thoughts about what could be causing this? Any ideas about what could be helpful? TIA!!!
I get bumps on my face from my fragrance allergy. They disappear once I stop using the product, so they don't come to a head. Perhaps there is some ingredient that you are sensitive to in your products. Sometimes you can suddenly develop a sensitivity or allergy that you didn't have before.
Old 07-05-19, 11:27 AM  
Gams

Sandra - So far I’ve tried the Philosophy margarita and now I’m working on the fresh cream warm cashmere. I love the warm cashmere so much that I went back online and ordered the cologne and body soufflé. Bath and Body Works had the same fragrance around Christmas - I think they called it “Snowflakes and Cashmere”. The lotion was great but I didn’t think the body spray smelled as nice. I’m anxious to get the cologne and body soufflé from QVC.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-19, 12:17 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Changing standards of beauty:

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-19, 12:36 PM  
MsThistlebottom

LOL!! Ain't it the truth! The overinflated lips trend just looks crazy to me!

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beauty, beauty thread, beauty thread 2019, clothes, clothing, hair, makeup, skin