Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-08-18, 09:51 AM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

If you've tried to quit caffeine

I know there have been posts about wanting to quit caffeine and thought this might be of interest.

This Is How Your Brain Becomes Addicted to Caffeine

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-18, 06:34 PM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

Thanks Susan. This is timely for me. I only drink two small cups of coffee per day, but I know I'm addicted because it's just not pleasant if I miss my afternoon cup. When I'm home, no problem, but if I'm out or on the road, I know I need to plan ahead. I'm not trying to quit, but I'd like to reduce the risk of afternoon withdrawal symptoms. It sounds like you just have to plow through it. The science behind it is interesting.
Old 10-08-18, 07:31 PM  
Pam

What I have done several times, is to reduce slowly. This might be easier to do with tea. I am addicted to black tea, which I get in the loose tea leaf form. I slowly increase the amount of green tea (which has a lot less caffeine than black tea) and less black tea in my cups of tea.

When the tea is mostly green tea, I can start substituting herbal tea for the green tea. It can take me several weeks to get off the caffeine completely, but I have no withdrawal symptoms. It’s also very easy to get addicted again. 😉

Never been a coffee drinker. Could this be done with coffee or would it taste so terrible, that would you would quit.
Old 10-09-18, 12:02 AM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

The first time I quit coffee I did it cold turkey. There is a scene in the movie Trainspotting where they dramatize a kid giving up heroin cold turkey when his parents lock him in his room for two weeks. When I gave up coffee, I felt like it was exactly like that. I can't imagine trying to give up a real drug.

Every time I gave up coffee since then I did it in a gradual way similar to Pam, using decaf. I reduce my caffeine coffee by 1/4 cup, using decaf for the difference. I stay at each level of caffeine for a week, until I'm on full decaf.

To do this you have to make sure you use a really good decaf though.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-18, 06:50 AM  
killoffsonny

I'm not so sure I'm addicted. Maye slightly. When I don't have my one ten ounce mug I kind of feel like I'm drugged and walking through a maze but it only lasts for a day or two and then I'm fine. I just love the taste of coffee. Its my favorite. beverage.
Old 10-09-18, 06:57 AM  
Vantreesta

I wonder what makes some people get addicted and others not. I drink coffee pretty much every day (probably about 16 oz. of actual coffee and a couple oz of creamer) but if I go without caffeine for a week I don't have any problems, even though I am someone who is prone to headaches. Cutting back on sugar is a different story though! My mom is definitely addicted to caffeine, as one would expect of someone who drinks supersized pop about every day. Years ago I drank a can of Pepsi every day. I gradually cut back and now have pop about once a week, usually a 20 oz bottle or at a restaurant. If I drink Pepsi a couple days in a row I am right back to wanting it every day bc I like the taste so much.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-18, 07:34 AM  
Sollamyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond.omega View Post
(snip) Every time I gave up coffee since then I did it in a gradual way similar to Pam, using decaf. I reduce my caffeine coffee by 1/4 cup, using decaf for the difference. I stay at each level of caffeine for a week, until I'm on full decaf.

To do this you have to make sure you use a really good decaf though.
I used to have problems with anxiety, which would lead me to going off caffeine. Reducing gradually worked better for me than cold turkey because of the headaches. Or, I would switch to black tea, and then to green tea, etc. That method also worked for me.

Fortunately, I no longer have those anxiety issues, so I drink whatever the heck I want now. But I've never been one of those peeps who drinks coffee all day long. Two cups in the a.m. and I'm good to go! If I need a pick-me-up in the afternoon, I might have an iced tea or green tea.

Donna
Old 10-09-18, 08:26 AM  
upperwside

Interesting. I am a tea drinker, black white green oolong herbal, I love it all. I drink tea all day. When I travel or am running around, I forget my tea once in a while.. or on long car trips.. it makes my pee a lot, so I will not drink it. I don't think I have ever felt any different. Maybe this is only for coffee drinkers.. maybe more caffeine in coffee than tea?
upperwside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-18, 09:17 AM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
I wonder what makes some people get addicted and others not. I drink coffee pretty much every day (probably about 16 oz. of actual coffee and a couple oz of creamer) but if I go without caffeine for a week I don't have any problems, even though I am someone who is prone to headaches. Cutting back on sugar is a different story though! My mom is definitely addicted to caffeine, as one would expect of someone who drinks supersized pop about every day. Years ago I drank a can of Pepsi every day. I gradually cut back and now have pop about once a week, usually a 20 oz bottle or at a restaurant. If I drink Pepsi a couple days in a row I am right back to wanting it every day bc I like the taste so much.
I think there’s a low level that a lot of people can tolerate without the addiction.
I would never have withdrawal symptoms when I drank just one cup per day.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-18, 09:44 AM  
macska
VF Supporter

Why on earth would anyone try to quit coffee?

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote