Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-11-17, 08:20 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Wait, running isn't considered legitimate exercise? And is considered just a warm-up, or for the unfit?
*I* certainly think running is legitimate exercise. But in the study the rats jogged at a moderate intensity, which I thought translates to LISS for humans, which regularly takes a hit. On the other hand the target rats exercised at-will, so it might be more equivalent to NEAT activity. But maybe the study actually translates to running rather than walking. In which case I guess I will have to point to earlier studies in LISS for its defense. Really I always thought debates that out down certain forms of exercise to be silly. People should do what they want. But as someone who prefers LISS, I find myself on the receiving end of judgements of it all the time.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-17, 04:03 PM  
carly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I've recently read several articles touting meditation as a great "exercise" for the brain. Aging and stress shorten the end caps of chromosomes in the brain called telomeres:

"Can meditation slow rate of cellular aging? Cognitive stress, mindfulness, and telomeres."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3057175/

Interesting stuff!
Great Article Vintage VFer, thanks for posting! I'm currently reading Telemeres Effect https://www.amazon.com/Telomere-Effe...70_&dpSrc=srch so this subject is on my radar.
carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-17, 12:14 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

This is actually the most recent article I read about the "best exercise":
https://curiousmindmagazine.com/neur...aging-process/

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-17, 12:51 PM  
cherimac

I agree with Jackie, the best exercise is one you love and will do! And for Susan, I know it's steady state.
Old 11-13-17, 08:31 PM  
Scorpio6

The best exercise for the brain is to learn a new language.
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-17, 03:11 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio6 View Post
LOL, my brain must be really bulky because I've been trying to self-learn Japanese for about five years!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-17, 03:33 PM  
leigh1673

Like most things, exercise that challenges your comfort zone (mentally) seems like they would be the best for your brain.

Like, for me, dancing does NOT come naturally. So most dance-inspired workouts challenge my brain the most - Tracy Anderson dance cardio (even the beginner one!) and Cize (the last 4 routines) are some that come to mind for me.

For something that's a little challenging - but not as intense - I really like the Brain Fitness Fun walk on Jessica's Walk Strong series.
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-17, 05:12 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio6 View Post
Yeah, I've heard that, but I don't have the motivation to learn a new language, so I've taken up the piano instead. I've moved on from hot cross buns, so I'm making progress.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-17, 06:59 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

The best exercise for neurogenesis is not the ONLY best exercise for the brain. It's just the best exercise for neurogenesis, which is of significant importance. I'd have to say, based on my reading, that anything that challenges proprioception (like dance, rebounding, and most balance work) is also very valuable, in a different way. Meditation has long been known to benefit the brain tremendously. In another different way.

But when the answer to everything for at least a decade and a half has been HIIT!! HIIT!! HIIT! HIIT!, it's awfully nice to read that steady state is superior in SOME WAYS for SOMETHING, anything thanks!

I actually haven't done much LISS at all in about a year and a half... But I've gotten my HIIT in! hahaha.

My poor hippocampus.....
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-17, 07:05 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Jackie, the SAME PERSON wrote both of our articles! haha. Did you notice that? I didn't until my second reading.

Dance is better than walking at preserving white matter.

So let's see, a little steady state for my hippocampal neurogenesis, the occasional dance for my white matter....

lol. I ought to plan a brain rotation.

Interesting that Jessica Smith has focused in on some brain fitness stuff in her recent offerings.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brain, brain fitness, hiit, meditation, proprioception, steady state cardio, telomeres