Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-01, 12:52 PM  
Lorrie

Exclamation Beware over at Firm's forum

I just wanted to warn everybody. I tried to create a new user name, because we got a new computer and there are no cookies on it for that site. Anyway, I happened to chose one that had been taken, but get this, the Firm emails me that it has been taken and also gives me their password! So, I just wanted to let everyone know, in case you start seeing posts that you didn't make over there.
Lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-01, 01:00 PM  
kimjo
VF Supporter

Are you sure?

When I registered at the new Firm Forum it told me that the name had been reserved and that I would be sent my new password. Now I had to think about that because the way it was phrased made it sound as if the name had already been reserved for someone else. Then I realized that the name had been reserved FOR ME and that they were sending the password.
Old 12-19-01, 03:09 PM  
Diavolobella
VF Supporter

Kimjo is right

It means "thank you, we have now reserved that name for you, check your email for your password." Not that the name is already reserved.

"We all want the looooove...without the handles!" Tracy Effinger

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Diavolobella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-01, 03:31 PM  
Lorrie

That isn't how mine was worded. It said exactly "Someone from the ip address [blah blah] registered the user name [blah blah] The password for this user name is [blah blah]" Of course the blahs are to reserve some privacy for the user. I'm an honest person and am not going to go into their account and make posts.

this is exactly how it was written to me. I'm not making it up or trying to stir up trouble, but I imagine there will eventually be trouble over there, unless they change their password policies.

Lorrie
Old 12-19-01, 03:58 PM  
Felicia

Lorrie,
When I regisered I got the message (on the forum) that the name had been reserved. Then I immediately got an email that read just like yours. A few days later I forgot my password, requested a change on the forum, then got another email just like yours with a new password. I know the message is cryptic, but I don't think this is a problem. If you are still concerned, post a message on the Firm Forum.

I guess you could also do a test and register under a name that could not possibly be someone else's - a combo of numbers and letters, but I'm not sure that would be "proper" forum ettiquite. I for one do appreciate you raising the concern.

"If your DH isn't complaining, you don't have enough videos" - SteveW
Felicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-01, 04:08 PM  
Lorrie

I'll try it out, but it sounded like the name had been reserved at another ip, but didn't know why they'd give out the password. I just wanted to let others know if they had any problems. My computer hadn't any cookies on it yet, so I didn't know if they were just giving me the information, too.

thanks again for everyone's input!
Old 12-19-01, 04:11 PM  
AnnePep
VF Supporter

I think its ok

Hi Lorrie,
I got the same exact message for my username. I think someone technical (maybe the programmer) must have worded that email - because it is not user friendly at all!
Like Felicia said, I don't think you have to worry. I believe the IP address they refer to in the email is yours, or the one of the computer you were on when you registered.
Anne
AnnePep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-01, 05:32 PM  
ascubanut
VF Supporter

I got the same email when I registeredmy user name. I logged on with the password provided and then changed my password.

"From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere." - Dr. Seuss
ascubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-01, 06:30 PM  
Lorrie

Good idea, I'll go change the password--you can never be too careful on the net. thanks everyone!