Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-01, 07:03 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Re: What's wrong with muscles?

Quote:
Originally posted by Lenore Levine
I've been reading a lot of posts in which people say they don't do a lot of strength work, because it's not right for their body type. That is, if they do this work, they get a lot of muscles.

Is this a health issue or an appearance issue? I've been wondering about this, because I've found that I grow muscles easily. They look natural and feminine on my curvy, stocky body, they burn calories, and they make me feel competent and powerful. Am I doing something wrong?
Hi Lenore,

I don't know if you posted earlier but this is the first post I've seen since you said that you had to leave for awhile. Welcome back!! So did you find a new job with computer access?

I like muscles too but I can also see Shelley's point of view. I don't develop muscles quickly. I trained my body to do tough cardio and I think my body is naturally built that way too. However, my lower body is a lot stronger than my upper body. So I can get bigger leg muscles and it does seem out of proportion to my upper body if I'm not careful. Lately, I found that some leg work like squats hurt my shoulders even when I use a squat rack. With a squat rack, the weight is up there but my shoulders can't handle the burden of the barbell weight. So my shoulders hurt even before my legs are actually fatigued. Therefore, I just use Cathe size weights for my legs which is still not "pansy" light weight stuff. I know I lift a lot heavier than the majority of women. VFers don't count since we also exercise regularly while the majority of women don't either.

This is also just a personal preference. I like muscles but I don't like the Ms Olympia look. I do like the fitness competitors' looks. The only issue I have with that is that I wish they had more champions or that magazines featured more winners like Mia who choose not to have breast implants. That way, younger gals who might consider these competitions don't feel the pressure to have them just to win. I'm getting way O.T. so I better stop now.

Helen
Helen S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-01, 07:35 PM  
Liz N
VF Supporter

Talking I like muscles

I like the look of a well balanced muscular body. I get great results alternating cycles of heavy weights and low repetitions with high intensity cardio.

"I believe your most attractive features are your heart and soul" Savage Garden

Looking for some fitness inspiration? Visit my blog - see profile
Liz N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-01, 08:15 PM  
Barbara P
VF Supporter

Long live muscles!!

When I started swimming 21 years ago, my arms got a lot bigger but without any definition. I knew they had grown alot since I started swimming in Sept when we went to long sleeves, and in the spring, a lot of my short sleeved tops were tight on the upper arm. My arms are still big but have a bit more definition, but not as much as I want. It is getting better all the time though.

And when I started lifting about 5 years ago, my calves were skinny, especially in comparison to my thighs. They have gotten bigger and defined and quite frankly are now the body part I like most! hee hee about the only one though
Long live muscles!
Barbara P
Barbara P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-01, 08:45 PM  
kimjo
VF Supporter

Thumbs up

I totally agree with you Lenore! I also build muscle easily and I like it. I think I look feminine and strong. I feel like I am doing something positive for my body and my health by building up my muscle mass and I am not afraid I'll end up looking like Ms. Olympia (because that will never happen!)
Old 12-04-01, 08:51 PM  
Messe

Two great things about having muscles

1. Having my minister's wife (who's younger than I am) tell her daughters to look at how cut my upper arms are and calling me Buff Martha.

2. Having a male colleague I see only at national meetings tell me that I must be glad that short skirts are still in style because I have such good-looking calves. (And no, he's not a lech, and it wasn't a come-on!)

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-01, 08:56 PM  
nancy c
Tri-ing!

Thumbs up another fan

Both for health and apperance. To be honest...it's the appearance side of it that pushes me though some of the last reps..especially arnold presses and squats. I love the look of well formed Deltoids...and I know those squats are doing great things for lower end.
nancy c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-01, 12:08 AM  
Caroline Kim
VF Supporter

Me too

I just started doing heavy weight training this year and I love the results. I don't think I will ever get that "sculpted" look but I love having visible muscles - the little bulging bicep, the line on the side of your thigh, back definition, visible quads...even my shin muscles! I wouldn't mind having more muscles either. I think they look great on women. When I first got S&H, I gawked at Cathe's amazing shoulder muscle definition. And as Cory says, muscles are sexy!
Old 12-05-01, 01:00 AM  
Roxanna425

Re: Lenore, I like mine.

Quote:
Originally posted by SharonNYC
I'm not interested in spending a bunch of time dedicated to building sheer muscle mass -- I'm more a functional fitness type -- but I must admit that I'm a little vain about my muscle definition.
Me too. Functional fitness for ME however includes a lot of muscles because:
1. That's how I am built. When we say "out of proportion" whose proportions are they talking about? Bo Dereks? or Jennifer Lopez? Given my heritage (Hispanic) I will easily develop mass on my thighs and butt, so I'll stick with the J.Lo proptions and any trainer who tells me I look "out of proportion" will have to tell me in comparison to whom and that'll likely be my last session with them. I am not interested in fitting anyone's ideal. My goals are really more fitness and health oriented.
2.I am training for a century next year (100 miles on a bike) and training for that will increase both my thighs and calves. I am much more interested in that "funcional" fitness than in wearing knee boots or straight leg jeans. I have never found a pair that fit me anyway and if you look at Jennifer Lopez or Mariah Carey their jeans are customized to fit them too and on one is compliaining about how they look in their jeans. My mom always had to take in the wait on mine becaesu if they fit over my hips and thigs they were too big in the waist.

I am not saying I look anything like J.Lo (hee hee) however I have to work with what I've got and if I do enough cardio to burn enough calories to lose weight I will build muscle mass in my thighs. If I built enough upper body strength to "balance it out" I'd look like a fireplug. I see lots of body types out there running and on bikes. Some people are thin and fit, some like me develop muscles. My SO says he loved me and thought I was beautiful when I was heavy and he'll love me if I am muscular because what he loves is on the inside.

I guess it all depends on what your goals are and if Picabo Street isn't complaining about her thighs neither will I about mine.

"Everything is futile but you must do it anyway, because effort is full victory." --Gandhi
Roxanna425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-01, 01:03 AM  
Roxanna425

Re: Two great things about having muscles

Quote:
Originally posted by Martha Edington
1. Having my minister's wife (who's younger than I am) tell her daughters to look at how cut my upper arms are and calling me Buff Martha.

2. Having a male colleague I see only at national meetings tell me that I must be glad that short skirts are still in style because I have such good-looking calves. (And no, he's not a lech, and it wasn't a come-on!)
Martha no wonder the guys are offering to life your bags for you! I love getting complements on my muscles!

"Everything is futile but you must do it anyway, because effort is full victory." --Gandhi
Roxanna425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-01, 07:27 AM  
WendyB
VF Supporter

I love muscles too!

Although, ectomorph that I am, it takes forever to build any! But I do have some nice definition in my biceps and definitely in my shoulders. Not as much as most people would have, but hey, it's better than the scrawny little shoulders I had before. My husband also thinks that its sexy.

If I could find a way to build more, I'd do it!

"The ideal day never comes. Today is ideal for him who makes it so."
-– Horatio W. Dresser

Attitude is Everything!
WendyB is offline   Reply With Quote