Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-19, 09:47 AM  
JezthePuff2

Just finished The Whisper Network, and I enjoyed it. Today I started Someone We Know (newest one by Shari Lapena). It's good so far!

~~~Well behaved women rarely make history.~~~
JezthePuff2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-19, 10:14 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by JezthePuff2 View Post
Just finished The Whisper Network, and I enjoyed it. Today I started Someone We Know (newest one by Shari Lapena). It's good so far!
I had the Shari Lapena on reserve, but I forgot to pick it up! Please post web you are done. Thanks!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-19, 11:07 AM  
alisoncooks

After a summer of reading trashy romance novels on my kindle, I'm back to YA fantasy. Currently rereading Garth Nix's Abhorsen series (minus Clariel - I don't like that one and it's not hugely necessary to the overall plot).

I'm finding that my wrists prefer holding my kindle over fat novels. I've always preferred "real" books to digital...but I'm dealing with some sort of joint pain that is currently making holding heavy books painful. Anyone else have arthritis/joint issues in the wrists? Do you prefer holding an e-reader?
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-19, 11:40 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I need to catch up a bit! I've been reading voraciously.

Right now from Prime I'm reading American Princess: The Many Lives of Allen Tew. Blah. I thought it was a historical fiction but it's research/historical. I'm scanning in advance of the few interesting parts.

Before that, my Prime choice was The Murmur of Bees Sofia Segovia. That was very good, unusual fantasy sort of story that drew me in.

For book club, we have read The Boston Girl by Anita Diamant (my choice - everyone loved); Suite Francaise (another research/history, another meh); and this month is Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar. I read it in three days - riveting, and disturbing.

I signed Jane Fonda's My Life So Far out of the library yesterday and am loving it. I got up in the night to read more of it.

Alison - what is YA fantasy? I do have wrist problems alas, and while I also prefer real books, a large book gets cumbersome. The one I'm reading now is a big hardcover and I need to sit up with it - not lie back against pillows holding up over my face like I prefer.

Happy reading everyone!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-19, 11:46 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I just finished This is Where I Leave You. I saw the movie a few years back but still enjoyed the book.

I also recently started the book 10 Percent Happier, about Dan Harris' meditation journey; I'm enjoying more than I thought I would so far.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-19, 12:14 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Alison - what is YA fantasy? I do have wrist problems alas, and while I also prefer real books, a large book gets cumbersome. The one I'm reading now is a big hardcover and I need to sit up with it - not lie back against pillows holding up over my face like I prefer.

Happy reading everyone!
YA = young adult
I tend to stick with that and Juvenile Fantasy from the kids' section.
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-19, 05:04 PM  
Cher

It’s been a while since I’ve posted here but It takes me a while to read a book. . Here’s the few of read since then:

Not Quite Crazy by Catherine Bybee. I always like her books.
Summer of 69 by Elian Hildebrand. This was okay.
The Unhoneymooners by Christina Lauren. Fun light read.

Currently reading:

Amy Tan’s Book of Luck & Fortune by Roselle Lim. To me this is just okay. It’s a little slow and I’m trying to slug my way through. It’s not awful that I want to quit reading but it just doesn’t really seem to have much going on and is a bit boring to me.

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid. Just started this but it seems pretty good so far.
Cher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-19, 06:33 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

I'm also reading that Amy Tan book. I'm not sure how far in I am (reading on kindle) but there are definitely parts I really like and then parts that are slower, as you mention.

Before that I listened to "The Lager Queen of Minnesota". Nothing remarkable at all, but it was sort of fun.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-19, 09:35 PM  
Cher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
I'm also reading that Amy Tan book. I'm not sure how far in I am (reading on kindle) but there are definitely parts I really like and then parts that are slower, as you mention.
Yes, that’s sort of what I mean too....parts I like and are interested in and then other parts are just there. I’m also reading it on my Kindle. I’m at 66%.
Cher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-19, 02:21 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol K View Post
I just started Les Miserables, affectionately known as "The Brick". This should take me the rest of the summer.
This made me laugh. I haven’t read Les Miserables but I have started a different brick. “The Power Broker” by Robert Caro. I grew up in New York but don’t know much about the history of its parks, highways, bridges etc. I hear this book is a classic. I have only read about 90 of the 1100+ pages. It is so big I can’t even bring it to the gym to read when I am on the bike.
It will take forever to read since I belong to a book group and have other things to read.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, reading, summer reading