Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-11-19, 10:38 AM  
Sara1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harivelo View Post
60-year old here. I stopped focusing on doing 10,000 steps when I realized that many steps didn't translate into active minutes on my Fitbit Versa. I changed my main goal to reaching at minimum of 30 active minutes.
What is the difference? Thanks
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-19, 03:09 PM  
wendug

I read that article last week and found it interesting. I think it would be encouraging to sedentary people to hear that even 4k to 5k steps is beneficial. 10,000 steps can be very intimidating to some people so they don't try at all...so doing half that might cause them to try.

And I agree with kat999- I'm also inspired by the active lives of over 60 VF-ers! I hope I'm able to keep active as long as I can!!!
Old 06-11-19, 03:38 PM  
Harivelo

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1000 View Post
What is the difference? Thanks
"Your Fitbit device recognizes and awards active minutes when the activity you're doing is more strenuous than regular walking, which includes everything from a brisk walk to a cardio workout or run." In other words, the active minutes measure moderate-to-intense activity. I really have to make efforts to win those. That's how I know I really deserve them. On the other hand, I rake many fake steps at work just because I move my arms more than my legs.
Harivelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-19, 03:40 PM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harivelo View Post
60-year old here. I stopped focusing on doing 10,000 steps when I realized that many steps didn't translate into active minutes on my Fitbit Versa. I changed my main goal to reaching at minimum of 30 active minutes.
I did EXACTLY this. Steps were not motivating to me but the fireworks that go off on my Versa when I hit 30 active minutes makes me very happy.
Old 06-11-19, 03:57 PM  
Harivelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepla View Post
I did EXACTLY this. Steps were not motivating to me but the fireworks that go off on my Versa when I hit 30 active minutes makes me very happy.
I love those fireworks. They motivated me to walk regularly
Harivelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-19, 08:00 AM  
Rhonda

How timely. This makes so much sense. I have been aiming for 10K steps but some days I start with strength training which is virtually zero steps and other days I can have 5-6,000 steps by noon.

It was also on the news this morning that fitness trackers can make some people go a bit crazy (they didn't say this) because they are working so hard on getting the steps in they don't think about anything else.

I have a tracker and after reading this and hearing on the news I am thinking of just using the watch portion. I think the step counter is slowly dying anyway. I was on my treadmill getting my hill workout in and I know I should have about 4000 steps and when I got off it barely registered 1000. So it is going but I love the watch portion.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-19, 10:39 AM  
MsThistlebottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda View Post
How timely. This makes so much sense. I have been aiming for 10K steps but some days I start with strength training which is virtually zero steps and other days I can have 5-6,000 steps by noon.

It was also on the news this morning that fitness trackers can make some people go a bit crazy (they didn't say this) because they are working so hard on getting the steps in they don't think about anything else.

I have a tracker and after reading this and hearing on the news I am thinking of just using the watch portion. I think the step counter is slowly dying anyway. I was on my treadmill getting my hill workout in and I know I should have about 4000 steps and when I got off it barely registered 1000. So it is going but I love the watch portion.
When I get too crazed about my Fitbit (it happens ), I stop wearing it for a couple of days. I did a Jari workout the other day, and it registered that I burned 145 calories. No way! I was wiped out at the end!

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-19, 07:24 PM  
DCW

I love my Fitbit to remind me to move every hour. At the end of the day I feel better when I get up every hour. Even when I walk at lunch, I can tell the difference when I move every hour.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-19, 07:36 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Deleted

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-19, 11:00 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

Thanks for the thread; I was thinking of starting one myself after seeing the same page shared somewhere else.

I did think of some of the questions raised and looked at other news sources. Some do mention that this was an observational study (that didn't establish causation) and that it studied only a limited group, older women without certain medical conditions. (No news story that I've seen yet seems to miss these points very badly, but some of those news stories initially don't emphasize these points that well. For example, a few leave me with the impression that they emphasize "4,400 steps!" without this context.)

Even if I were one of those older women without certain medical conditions, I wouldn't assume that 4,400 steps was some Magic Number for me or for anyone else in that group, and I'm concerned that some readers have already interpreted it that way. Instead, I wonder how much individual variation there is.

News sources also tend to add that other activities are also good, increased activity has other benefits beyond longevity, and that fitness or health shouldn't be defined narrowly, as by a step count; I appreciate those mentions. The original article's "All they had to do was walk" can be wrenched out of context, such as in a way that dismisses the benefits of other activities. (I want to keep looking later, but no article that I've seen so far emphasizes other fitness-related specific things that exercise can benefit, such as strength, balance, and mobility. I hope that there are some such articles.)

Yes, I do appreciate actual study of the numbers, and I find it vaguely surprising that this "10,000" number has been quoted for years without more scrutiny.

Sources tie the origin of "10,000 steps" to marketing for a Japanese pedometer. Some sources say that a Japanese character for "10,000", "万" (I hope that the character appears correctly for you), resembles a figure walking; cf. "万歩計" for "pedometer." Other sources add, though I can't find much quick online confirmation, that 10,000 is something like a lucky number there. Especially as someone who doesn't especially prize round numbers, anniversaries, and the like, I also wonder if a nicely round number lends a certain mystique, in Japan and elsewhere.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
step count, steps per day, walking