Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-18, 10:09 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by macska View Post
Why on earth would anyone try to quit coffee?
LOL. My thoughts exactly.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-18, 10:31 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
LOL. My thoughts exactly.
Mine too, lol!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-18, 11:10 AM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Some years ago my doctor advised me to quit because I have cystic breasts and the caffeine makes that worse. The problem w/benign cysts is that it can be harder to detect a tumor when you're already cystic.

I cut down to 1/3 caf, 2/3 decaf (I think I was drinking 2 cups of that mix) and decided it wasn't worth it. I felt groggy all morning. I went to 1/2 caf for a while and eventually back to full, and haven't had any more cysts. However, anytime my consumption creeps up to 4 cups a day or so, I make an effort to cut it down. I don't like it when I get a withdrawal headache just from sleeping in!

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-18, 01:36 PM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

I don't want to give up coffee, I just want to reduce the caffeine dependency. I get headaches very easily, from many different triggers. Once a headache starts, it's very difficult to stop and can often lead to a migraine. So even though my coffee portions are small, the withdrawal is real.

I was on a bike trip in France last month and even after a nice satisfying lunch, I was on the prowl for coffee. I felt like a junkie. While everyone else rode ahead, I was looking for my fix, just so I wouldn't get a headache.
Old 10-09-18, 03:47 PM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopsy View Post
I don't want to give up coffee, I just want to reduce the caffeine dependency. I get headaches very easily, from many different triggers. Once a headache starts, it's very difficult to stop and can often lead to a migraine. So even though my coffee portions are small, the withdrawal is real.

I was on a bike trip in France last month and even after a nice satisfying lunch, I was on the prowl for coffee. I felt like a junkie. While everyone else rode ahead, I was looking for my fix, just so I wouldn't get a headache.
You could carry No-Doz... Probably not as healthy as breaking the addiction, I know; but as addictions go, this isn't the worst.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-18, 04:02 PM  
Floren

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
You could carry No-Doz... Probably not as healthy as breaking the addiction, I know; but as addictions go, this isn't the worst.
Chocolate covered espresso beans can also provide easily portable caffeine to avoid headaches. You can get them at Starbucks or other coffee shops.
Floren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-18, 04:14 PM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
I'm thankful that I don't have anything worse to complain about. It's really minor in the grand scheme of things. It does make me empathetic towards people with more serious problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floren View Post
Chocolate covered espresso beans can also provide easily portable caffeine to avoid headaches. You can get them at Starbucks or other coffee shops.
I often travel with my chocolate covered coffee beans! Our local supermarket has them in the bulk section
Old 10-09-18, 08:30 PM  
DCW

I am a tea person. For me it is the favourite teacup or fancy mug. The preferred tea makes it an experience to slow down and savory a hot beverage. Hot coffee or tea is a moment in time to breathe and relax and enjoy.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-18, 10:47 AM  
Indy

I did try to eliminate caffeine completely once but found that like decaffeinated tea doesn't taste as good. As it is, I only have one cup of coffee a day - and one cup of organic oolong tea (I'm not sure of the caffeine content in that) and no tea over the weekend. I don't drink soft drinks at all - or rarely so I doubt I am addicted to it. I think I could eliminate the coffee and tea and it wouldn't have any effect.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-18, 10:54 AM  
Harivelo

Chicory root

Anybody tried chicory/chicory root? In France it is typically used to replace coffee. Or you can blend it with coffee to wean yourself off caffeine gradually. Amazon sells different brands of coffee & chicory blends or 100% chicory.
Harivelo is offline   Reply With Quote