Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-01-17, 11:02 AM  
lizh

Anyone over 55 and gotten a new job?

I'm at the director-level at a non-profit. Love my job! But recently new leadership and what-not has made things less fun. I've been there almost 8 years and feel that people assume I'll never leave since I'm 57.

Financially, I will need to work until I'm about 65 and wonder if this would be a good time to make a move and try to get a bump in my position. I need to hear what it's like out there!! ...there's lots of doom and gloom for older women job seekers. Should I suck it up and stay where I'm at?
Let me know your experiences!
Liz
lizh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-17, 12:26 PM  
Softshoe
VF Supporter

At 64 I was looking and only job I could get was the Post Office. I lasted 3 months and quit. I had to work ten days ten hours a day before I would get a day off. Safeway did call for an interview, but I had taken the Post Office job.

You will probably do better than me. Though I worked full time my entire life (47 years), I do not have a college education. That didn't help I'm sure.

Good Luck.
Softshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-17, 01:09 PM  
ncl

I don't have this experience. I work for myself. However, have you started looking? Presumably, you could start that process and see what is available for you before making a move out of your current job. It sounds like you have great experience and skill!
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-17, 01:28 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

I was out of the workforce for many years. At age 52, I took my first paying job in probably 15+ years, doing tax work part time.

At age 57 I moved from the part time tax job to a full time job as the Assistant Business Manager for a small private school.

This past summer at almost 60 I moved to a bigger private school to take the Business Manager's job.

In all 3 instances, I had connections (neighbors, church members, friends, etc.) to the job I was interviewing for - with the first two, I knew someone who knew the person looking to fill the position and with the last move I knew the Business Manager (from a non-denominational Bible study we both attended) who was moving out of town. She was instrumental in my hiring. The funny thing is that I used to joke with her (when I was still doing tax work) that I wanted her job when she retired - I never dreamed it would happen. I am also lucky enough to have a several college degrees.

I well remember the trepidation I experienced with each of those interviews. My best advice is to do your best to network in your area and keep your ears open. You never know what might come along. Attend conferences, etc., as well, in your field. Those are good networking opportunities.

I haven't had to color my hair yet, and most folks think I am 5 to 10 years younger than I am - sadly, those things probably didn't hurt, although my boss is retiring this summer at 70 so maybe it didn't matter.

Carol

Last edited by txhsmom; 04-01-17 at 06:54 PM. Reason: more info
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-17, 01:46 PM  
karenl

Hi Liz, I'm 66. At age 61, I lost a job I had held for 34 years. The company was sold as a result of the downturn in the economy. I was terrified to say the least. Since then I have had 5 jobs. I've never had a problem getting a job and I do not have a college degree. I agree with ncl, start looking and see what's out there. All of us no matter how young or old we are have skills. Remember age is just a number!

karen
karenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-17, 02:57 PM  
Terri1222
VF Supporter

Great question!

I'm 57 now and a few years ago I decided to let my hair go gray.

Now, I have always worked in the corporate world (accounts receivable/collections, etc.) and worried it might not be a good move. But so far it has been fine.

However, I will be making some major life/work changes in the upcoming year and am wondering whether I should go back to coloring my hair. Only for the reason of "fitting in" in corporate culture.

I myself have gotten used to its "grayness" so it's not really something I want to do (and definitely not those every 3 week touch-ups!) but I figure I'll do what I have to in order to still be "interview-worthy".

I definitely believe it's the attitude you portray that deems whether one is considered "old" or not. I certainly have met 25 year olds who have an 80-year-old mentality and vice versa. So I certainly plan on keeping my 7-year-old self front and center!

But what to do about the hair.....

Terri

Crap happens in bunches - Beth

Just 'cuz I want to be a hermit doesn't mean I don't get lonely - DonnaB

What the head makes cloudy, the heart makes very clear - Eagles
Terri1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-17, 03:20 PM  
sciencelady

I retired from my corporate job at the end of last year at age 55. I am financially independent but am getting a small pension as part of an early retirement package (25% of what I would have gotten at age 65). I ran away to the circus - I now work there as an administrator a few days of the week for a paltry wage, but loads of fun! I've been doing circus acts for fun for about 12 years now - lots of aerial work as well as ground based events. I can administrate away into old age there. I'm also planning on volunteering at a wildlife rehab center - on one side I'll be a common volunteer for one morning a week, on the other side, I'll be a skilled practitioner in something they need using skills from my previous job (I have a veterinary background). I doubt they'll pay me anything though. Also enjoying life at home entertaining my dog daily at a dog park, and come spring weather doing more biking and gardening. Frankly, I couldn't be happier . I would not be this happy if I had stayed in my corporate position.
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-17, 05:06 PM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri1222 View Post

But what to do about the hair.....

Terri
Do a serious assessment of the best cut for you hair and your features. Invest in the best cut you can afford, and keep the hair shiny--shiny, shiny, shiny.

I use this once every two weeks or so. My hairdresser told me that if I started to get that purple haze to use a clarifying shampoo, then I could go back to my routine.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-17, 05:08 PM  
Demeris

I want to add that I'm very interested in this. I retired 4 years ago. I'm now 60 years old. I have a small consultancy, which I've had for over 20 years, that brings in some income. I would love a part time job that would allow me to do the consultancy (I have to travel and am sometimes gone several weeks at a time).

I do have a college degree, but neither of them lends me any credence for employ-ability.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-17, 06:05 PM  
m42

A new hire in my department is 59. She does have a more "youthful" look, colors her hair etc. I don't know how much effect that had in her interviews.
m42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ageism, career, career advice, over 50, retirement