Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-15, 01:23 PM  
Stephanie84

Rebounder - do I need one?? Let's discuss . . .

I'm thinking of getting a rebounder (mini-tramp). What are the main benefits and what's not great about them. Are they easier on your back and joints.
I'm thinking TA Cardio . . .
Stephanie84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-15, 01:37 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I love my rebounder, have the basic JumpSport bungee one. I have thinning bones and some joint issues and I had to cut back on high impact activities like running (which I loved). I find it easy on my joints and there are supposedly lots of benefits from rebounding. I started with a UR that I got used, and I liked it but the springs are a bit noisy. The bungees are so quiet and more springy to jump on, a very noticeable difference. I don't do a lot of rebounder workouts, although I have a few on youtube that I like. I usually just freestyle jump while I watch something on Netflix. I would like to upgrade to something larger at some point, either the top of the line JS or a Bellicon but for now my little JS suits me fine and was quite affordable.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-15, 01:42 PM  
horsemom2

I love my JumpSport 44 inch 550 which was recently on sale through Costco but is now out-of-stock before the sale was to have expired. I would only recommend this 550 Jumpsport or the Jumpsport 350 PRO which is slightly smaller but has a nice firm mat. The 350 at Costco does not have the firmer PRO mat. A firmer mat will give you a faster bounce for TA. You may randomly find a discount code on the Jumpsport site or Amazon
or their Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/FitnessTrampoline

Benefits of bouncing
http://neverendingplateau.blogspot.c...-djelevic.html

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-15, 02:17 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I believe it's more challenging to do a rebounder workout on a bungee rebounder than a spring one as they are a softer bounce. Bellicon has a wide selection of bungee cord tensions, and I believe you can make the higher end JS firmer by tightening the cords. Barb S would know more about that. I have wondered if I could tighten up my basic JS, but have never attempted it. It is probably a bit on the soft side, but then again I have nothing to compare it to. But it works for me right now and the price was right at the time!

Hatha YTT - 2011

Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Old 01-15-15, 03:31 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I have transferred most (if not all) of my walking workouts to my rebounder. You get the added benefit of holding in your core and having to balance on a platform that isn't as stable as walking on the floor. It takes some creativity but I find I use my hips more, instead of doing the traveling moves, double side steps, or grapevines (since space is limited.)

Honestly, since mid-December, my core has never looked better.

I have a Bellicon 44", with ultra strong bungee cords. Besides walking, I have the Bellicon DVDs with Fayth Carruso that are very good, as well as the two pilates sisters, and Remy (Just Bounce workout.)

I've taken all of my high impact exercise to the rebounder with any of my HiiT, interval, circuit, or metabolic workouts. I do pilates core exercise on the rebounder, as well as light weight lifting.

So many workouts transition very well to the rebounder. Kelly's new Home Gym Interval workout works great for jogging in place during the cardio intervals. I can do any of my Virtual Active workouts that I previously did on the treadmill. Any, Leslie or Jessica workout works very well!

And, then there's just the happiness of jumping on the rebounder itself. That's so much fun! I do jumping jacks, leg lifts to the side, all kinds of stuff!

If I have one regret, it's just that I wish I'd gotten a 49" (but the 44" Bellicon is so much more portable if I want to move it from room to room.)

ETA:Much easier on the joints than my hard tile floor in my workout space (in basement) or the hard surface of my treadmill!)

Pam

April Focus:
Linda Stejskal Wooldridge (Barlates)
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) April 8th Everyday Yoga Four Week Challenge
Jessica Smith Cardio Walks/Pilates Fusion
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-15, 03:44 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Pam - I lust after a big Bellicon but it's not in my budget right now. I can see how it would be so much more versatile for adapting floor workouts to. I don't have to move mine, other than to prop it on its side against the wall, so would probably go for the 49" one.

Hatha YTT - 2011

Jim Rohn

Old 01-15-15, 03:45 PM  
horsemom2

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
I have wondered if I could tighten up my basic JS, but have never attempted it. It is probably a bit on the soft side, but then again I have nothing to compare it to. But it works for me right now and the price was right at the time!

Someone mentioned they had added a knot to their cords on their lower end JumpSport. Can even try doing it to every other or third cord. It is worth a try if it is feeling unstable because of the tension getting too loose. I believe the cord warranty for these was only 2 years so if you are almost ready to upgrade or replace the cords, it is worth the risk.

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-15, 03:56 PM  
Stephanie84

awesome

thank you for the info!
Stephanie84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-15, 04:13 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsemom2 View Post
Someone mentioned they had added a knot to their cords on their lower end JumpSport. Can even try doing it to every other or third cord. It is worth a try if it is feeling unstable because of the tension getting too loose. I believe the cord warranty for these was only 2 years so if you are almost ready to upgrade or replace the cords, it is worth the risk.

Barb S
Thanks Barb! It doesn't feel unstable right now, but maybe down the road I will attempt to tighten it a bit.

Hatha YTT - 2011

Jim Rohn

Old 01-15-15, 04:49 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Regarding TA cardio workouts, I have never done them. That kind of freestyle cardio isn't to my liking. But, I have viewed TA's cardio workout and she takes up a lot of space when she moves. You would be isolating your lower body, planting feet on platform and pretty much moving with your hips, waist, arms, and shoulders (while bouncing up and down.)

What I have been doing with workouts that move from side to side or back and forth, etc. is to do the movement in place (if that makes sense.) You can also do lunges, just not fully extended (unless you have shorter legs?) To make up for not being able to travel, you might take the moves lower, or more vertical and really use your arms. When someone like Leslie travels up and back, I jog in place.

I have seen the Asian gal that TA trained in her method using the rebounder for Muscular Structure workouts, and she uses a lot of the space around her rebounder kneeling with the knees on the rebounder, or sometimes on the floor. You have to have space around your rebounder to do that type of leg/floorwork. Her name is escaping me right now.

I haven't actually tried TA's workouts on the rebounder yet, but that would be an interesting experiment. My rebounder is too close to my two walls, back in a corner to be able to use the space around it, but I've seen videos with people doing one-legged squats with weights, step-ups, plank work on the rebounder.

Pam

April Focus:
Linda Stejskal Wooldridge (Barlates)
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) April 8th Everyday Yoga Four Week Challenge
Jessica Smith Cardio Walks/Pilates Fusion
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rebounder, rebounding