Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-19-18, 06:26 PM  
Sollamyn

Question Anyone have sleep apnea?

I found out I have sleep apnea and will being using my CPAP for the first time tonight. Assuming all goes well and I can tolerate the CPAP, does anyone have any insight into how long it will take for me to start feeling better? I've been down for the count now for SO LONG!! I am tired a lot and I have so much trouble doing any type of work or exercise. Just wondering if anyone has anything to share about this condition, particularly as it applies to your ability to do your workouts.

Thanks,
Donna
Old 06-19-18, 07:04 PM  
alisoncooks

I don't but DH does, and he felt so much better so quickly. You'll probably be amazed at the improvement!

DH occasionally falls asleep on the couch (watching tv), and does without his machine. He can totally tell the next day.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-18, 07:09 AM  
Sollamyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
I don't but DH does, and he felt so much better so quickly. You'll probably be amazed at the improvement!

DH occasionally falls asleep on the couch (watching tv), and does without his machine. He can totally tell the next day.
That's good! I used it last night for 3 hours. I couldn't sleep and then my mask started slipping around and leaking. Does his mask cover both nose and mouth? That's what they gave me to start out with, but I can change to a different one within 30 days without having to pay more.

I will keep trying to see if I can fall asleep with it on (and without slipping--I may need to adjust the straps) and then maybe I can use it longer and longer each night as I get used to it.

Thanks,

Donna
Old 06-20-18, 07:28 AM  
LaurieS

I wear a mask almost every night.

I can tell a difference when I don't wear the mask, but it has not made a huge difference with my tiredness. If I skip a day, I do feel it though.

I hate it when my mask leaks (it is a full face mask because I'm a mouth breather). The strap adjustment makes all the difference.

Keep at it--you'll get it!
LaurieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-18, 07:47 AM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollamyn View Post
That's good! I used it last night for 3 hours. I couldn't sleep and then my mask started slipping around and leaking. Does his mask cover both nose and mouth? That's what they gave me to start out with, but I can change to a different one within 30 days without having to pay more.
DH's mask has the "nose pillows" -- so basically just covers his nostrils. Like this:
https://www.thecpapshop.com/all-cpap...al-pillow-mask
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-18, 09:58 AM  
GeekyGirl

My DH has sleep apnea and wears a mask that only covers his nose. He notices a difference when he doesn't wear the mask. He also wears an eye mask to keep his eyes from drying out. He had issues with dry eyes before we got married but hasn't had a problem since he's been wearing the eye mask.
GeekyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-18, 11:05 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGirl View Post
My DH has sleep apnea and wears a mask that only covers his nose. He notices a difference when he doesn't wear the mask. He also wears an eye mask to keep his eyes from drying out. He had issues with dry eyes before we got married but hasn't had a problem since he's been wearing the eye mask.
Sorry to hijack, but what type of eye mask does your DH use that helps wih dry eyes? My DD has a dry eye condition that I think would benefit from using an eye mask at night. TIA
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-18, 12:33 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

My DH FINALLY went in to a sleep doctor. He was diagnosed with apnea and got a mask. After probably 3 days he felt better and so did I! He has one with a nose pillow I think, it looks similar to the ones linked to above.

I don't know if this makes a big difference, but he fills his with distilled water so it doesn't dry him out.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-18, 04:47 PM  
Sollamyn

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieS View Post
I can tell a difference when I don't wear the mask, but it has not made a huge difference with my tiredness. If I skip a day, I do feel it though.

I hate it when my mask leaks (it is a full face mask because I'm a mouth breather). The strap adjustment makes all the difference.

Keep at it--you'll get it!
I sleep on my side/stomach most of the time (well--when I'm not wearing the mask). I find my mask to be annoying for that. I'm not a mouth breather, so I may end up just going with a nose mask. We'll see, though. I'm going to try to make my current mask work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
DH's mask has the "nose pillows" -- so basically just covers his nostrils. Like this:
https://www.thecpapshop.com/all-cpap...al-pillow-mask
I might have to try that. I have trouble sleeping on my side/stomach with my full mask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGirl View Post
I hope when I get to wearing my mask (and actually sleeping with it) that I will start to feel better really soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratima View Post
My DH FINALLY went in to a sleep doctor. He was diagnosed with apnea and got a mask. After probably 3 days he felt better and so did I! He has one with a nose pillow I think, it looks similar to the ones linked to above.

I don't know if this makes a big difference, but he fills his with distilled water so it doesn't dry him out.
Good news! Yes, my CPAP came with a humidifier attached to it. The technician said she doesn't understand how anyone could use the CPAP without the humidifier.

Donna
Old 06-20-18, 07:34 PM  
donnamp

Hi Donna,

My DH has sleep apnea - and he did have a rough time adjusting to the CPAP, but now that he has adjusted he can't sleep without it - b/c now that he knows what it is like to breathe all night if he doesn't use it he feels himself choking and wakes up immediately. He can't even nap without it!

I'm glad you got diagnosed b/c it can cause a lot of health problems.

Just be patient with yourself and try for a few hours each night, I bet eventually you will get used to it.

My DH would take his off in the middle of the night when he first got it but now he is 100% compliant with it.

Good luck!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cpap, sleep apnea, sleep mask