Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-18, 01:57 PM  
SpiritYogi

Question Dental Veneers

In 2010, I had my dentist whiten my six front teeth with composite resin. It has held up quite well but the four front teeth need touched up. My dentist is pushing me to get veneers. I've done research and learned the pros and cons of veneers. Two cons that make me shy from going that route is (1) it's irreversible. If they chip or crack, I'd need to get a new veneer or a crown, depending on how bad it is and (2) your teeth may become (more) sensitive. My teeth are already very sensitive so I certainly don't need them to get worse.

If you have dental veneers, could share your personal experience?
SpiritYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-18, 03:02 PM  
LovingLife
VF Supporter

"I know you're tired, but jump higher!"
-- Cathe

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with Beachbody. For details, take a look at my profile or see my blog www.foodplusfitness.net .
LovingLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-18, 03:03 PM  
LovingLife
VF Supporter

I've had veneers on my top 6 front teeth since August of 2009 and they have never been sensitive to cold, pain or anything. I -- like you -- had to have resin on those teeth when my dentist saw back in 1990 that my enamel had worn away from all the lemons I ate while having braces (who knew? ) He told me eventually I'd have to get veneers, but I kept getting the resin renewed over and over, but my enamel got worse and the resin would eventually get stained on the edges, etc.

So far I haven't had any problems with mine -- my dentist did tell me gum health around them is essential (flossing, etc. -- I'm not always the greatest at that). And my last dentist (I've gone through a few since we moved in 2010) told me a few years ago that I have a tiny crack in one of my veneers and need to get them all replaced. I didn't go back to her because I can't even see the crack with the naked eye (or with reading glasses -- only in her photo up really close) and so far, so good. I can't see going to that expense if I don't need do. But if one did break off, I know it would be really painful because the real tooth is filed down so far, the nerve is extra sensitive to the cold air (I tried to see if I could handle that without anesthetic during the veneer process and I couldn't) -- but the dentist did say you could put wax on it (like they give kids for braces), so I try to keep some in my purse. )

Anyway, they work for me and look 1000 better than my teeth that had so many layers of yellow from the enamel damage that my dear husband told me they were looking like candy corn (he was right! )

"I know you're tired, but jump higher!"
-- Cathe

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with Beachbody. For details, take a look at my profile or see my blog www.foodplusfitness.net .
LovingLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-18, 03:31 PM  
jusca

I have 4 front top 3M Lava crowns since early 2009. Thank goodness they have held up thus far because they were very expensive and I cringe whenever I may need to replace them.

I never had problems with any sensitivity. Thr crowns have never chipped or changed colors. I am extra careful about hard foods like candy apples and anything else that is tough. I've never tried biting down on anything like a fruit with my front teeth. I'm too scared if will ruin the crowns. I did have one incident where the crown split and cracked vertical while eating fish. I have no idea how the happened. I had the crown maybe 3 years and it was still in warranty so it was fixed for free. Never had any other issues.

I hate how destructive crowns are to the underlying tooth but I do enjoy life more without the shame I felt when my teeth were messed up from a birth defect that couldn't be treated with whitening. I would have avoided crowns at all costs if it wasn't my only option.
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-18, 02:00 AM  
videofit

I have two composite resin ones that have held up for over twenty years! They are getting stained now so I've been meaning to ask my dentist the cost for renewals. I remember the originals were $900 each I think. I hope the price has come down now since most people prefer veneers which I can't afford
Old 05-26-18, 07:51 PM  
SpiritYogi

Thank you, Loving Life, Jusca, and videofit for sharing your experiences. Makes me a little more comfortable to consider having it done. I've only had the composite resin done once though so I'm wondering if I should just keep having him touch them up until it gets to the point where they are beyond touch ups and veneers would be required.

Videofit: I can't believe you paid $900 per tooth for composite resin! I paid $125/tooth. Veneers will cost me $1K/tooth.
SpiritYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-18, 08:01 PM  
jusca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena View Post
Thank you, Loving Life, Jusca, and videofit for sharing your experiences. Makes me a little more comfortable to consider having it done. I've only had the composite resin done once though so I'm wondering if I should just keep having him touch them up until it gets to the point where they are beyond touch ups and veneers would be required.

Videofit: I can't believe you paid $900 per tooth for composite resin! I paid $125/tooth. Veneers will cost me $1K/tooth.
Mine were $1k each when I first got them. It was expensive as I was in college at the time. I am shocked the price is roughly the same for you, Dena. That's good to know they can still be done at a modest price! I have other crowns that have been holding up much longer so the price per year is really low.. There were some offices wanting somewhere between $2,000-2,500/tooth at the time though.
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dental, dental veneers